Ozzy's All Grain on deck

wheebz said:
So all in all, to recap

Out of the 5 beers you sent me, I was pleasently surprised by the sour, and was definitely accepting the IPA and pale ale. 

The sour needed more carbonation, and an intentional souring gameplan from day zero, and it would have been money. 

The IPA was good, but it was a pale ale, and a good pale ale. 

The pale ale was a good variation of what I would stylize as a european/british pale ale just by taste alone. If it was on cask, would have been perfect because the flavors would have gone great with a minimal oak flavor and low carbonation, like a traditional hand pump kind of deal. 

The IPA I would put in par with a lot of brewery owners that thought they could go pro without actually refining their recipe. That is a good thing, because you did this once and know it could use work, where others say "OHH MAN THATS AWESOME IMMA OPEN MY OWN BREWERY DAWG!!!"

For the beers you sent me, I was honestly expecting every beer to be horrible and infected, because 75% of the time homebrewed beers I have or review are simply just that, bad and infected.

Overall I say good job. You have some good bases, there are just simple change that you can do to make them better. I would reduce the malt character of your pale ales and IPAs, as you really want to showcase hops more than grains in those, but they were good. Except that double IPA, that tasted really bland

The sour was definitely good. The cherries held up nice, they didnt taste pitted or old, I just wish there was more carbonation and more wheaty oatey flavor. Imagine a hefeweizen mouthfeel but with that cherry tart characteristic and I would throw that bitch into a best of category
Wheebz

Well shheeeit, for my first 4-5 AG batches I take that as a win. That DIPA is kind of old for an IPA by the time it got to you, so that could be part of it. I will have to up the late additions on my next pale ale/IPA's. Thanks so much for the input. Very cool to get a pro's input. I'm actually very encouraged to continue on and improve.

I learn every day, and enjoy the hell out of this hobby. Again, thanks for all your input on recipes and technique.

Also, if you have any input on how to brew that Pepprmint Victory at Sea I'd love to hear that. Aside from that, I'll probably send you a bottle of that Imp Stout I did to get some I put on that as soon as it's ready.

Hopefully, I make it out to your neck of the woods soon. I'd love to check out Collusion. Hopefully you enjoyed the beers some lol. I have more of that sour too if you want them. I had a feeling you'd like them. I'm just not a big sour fan. I tried others that I knew were highly rated, at thought they tasted like mine.

Party on bro!
wheebz said:
and a bonus

your beers got me drunk 

congrats
Yeah lol, me too. They're pretty stiff. Even that sorta pale ale is 6.5%. That citra is about 9. If they were good enough to drink enough to get drunk, that's a high compliment in my book :)

when wheebz was in town i had the Red-Eye and Darkness Everybody and his stout was fresh, which aren't replaced equally well by the Mild and Zorg and Wild in the Sacch ... but the Mulberara is very interesting, as the bhut stout is delicious at this point, and I did a nice job on his saison (which hasn't degraded at all), i think ...

of course

just so you know, after like 4 or 5, the detail will go down, and I will be more blunt about it, but if I think its good, i will tell you its good

Ozzy did a pretty good job to be honest. I was expecting infections out the ass, and I just didnt get it.

And thank christ I got no diacetyl. That is the biggest off flavor in homebrews that I am super sensitive to, and I fucking hate it

out of all the beers I have ever been sent

RM has had the best one, and I even asked for his recipe to do an iteration of it at my brewery in Delaware, which that beer is now a huge hit and I thank him for it

He did a pumpkin beer that was just fucking phenomenal, i mean like orgasmic, and I took that beer and subbed some things out to make it a sweet potato pie beer called Miss Betty when I was at Mispillion River in delaware, and that beer sells out before they even make it now.
I just ate a Creme Brulee donut from the shop next door

3.50 for a fucking donut

Holy christ almighty that was the best donut I have ever had. Their apple fritter is the best pastry I have ever had, but that was the best donut I have had ever.

Absolutely amazing

wheebz said:
just so you know, after like 4 or 5, the detail will go down, and I will be more blunt about it, but if I think its good, i will tell you its good

i suspect in my case it's going to be whether or not they work, whether they're intriguing ... or challenging ...

pretty sure they are clean, but i think they def will get flagged for lacking balance ... to a fault ...

god i fucking love sylvan esso

one of the best live performances i have seen, and it was only a 45 minute set

at 3:08 thats the two members of the band

fucking AMAZING

sennheiser-hd-598-png.png

totally worth the 150 bucks for these, so amazing

about to switch it to drunk music though
love me some house music

damn your beers got me torn up

Back