Ozzy's All Grain on deck

Ozzy2001 said:
What will that do for it? I really don't like the taste of it right now. Not sure if it would be worth keeping.

Unless you've really done something specific to try to shorten the time (down to like 3-6 months), those beers often get like a year or more's time to come around ...

Those off-flavors may have periods that are good and bad along the way, I guess ...

I thought I might be interested in doing some sours, and planned to, but decided in the past week not to pursue that at home ...

If someone else lights the path, I might try it, but I'm pretty intent on making excellent porters and stouts primarily ... with saison to keep it varied a bit, and to allow me to leverage room temp ferm for space reasons.

I'm going to experiment with doing stout using lager yeast, saison yeast etc ... but that's about as wild & crazy as I plan to get, really ...

I plan to cruise steam beer a little bit, and plan to try WLP810 for stout and steam beers ...

I love seeing you guy's ranching yeast, and will leverage all of your collective work in the future when I've decided which couple I'm going to focus on ...

Right now I'm comparing WLP001 and US-05, kind of ...

Dry yeast is easier to work with if you are going to split batches, and the 05's are good for like 18-24 months in the fridge, I think ...

I kind of hate, and had trouble doing the right thing and hitting all the points with liquid yeast ... in terms of it's use-by date, in terms of warming it gently coming out of the fridge etc etc ...

The whole temp issue shipping liquid yeast to Florida is a bitch ... I've had yeast come and often it's leaked into the packaging from getting truly HOT on the way and fermenting in the vials ... not knowing if my yeast is kosher, or the counts remaining alive, is annoying to say the least ...

So, anyways ... I'm trying a few and then I'll just decide which one's I'm going to get intimately familiar with, and then I'll start ranching those and focus on learning them WELL ...

I did it w/ the Saison yeasts first, WLP566 is my keeper ... I didn't like the esters/phenols that WLP565 or ECY-08 threw off, as much ... The WLP566 is Dupont-esque, and so I'll just make everything using that one for the time being ... I did bring in a pack of Wyeast 3763 Roesalare Blend in last week, after hearing about it over and over and over ... but yeah, WLP566 is my saison variety for the saison batches, until I run into a problem ...

Now it's time to figure out which ale yeast I like ... my Darkness Everybody beer is almost too clean ...

I'm not going to be able to say anything about the yeast in the Bhut Subduction batch, because there's a lot going on in that beer, and there's also 15% champagne yeast in there now too ...

I'm planning to look at WLP002 and WLP007 from WL, and Wyeast 1968 from Wyeast, and S-04 (dry) ...

Hopefully a strong favorite will emerge, and that'll be that for next couple of year ... I'll focus on whichever it is, doing batches at different ferm temp's and trying to learn my choice well ...

Anyways ...

CHEERS!

:cheers:

That wlp 007 was what I used in that DFH 90. It fermented real clean, and I love that beer. I read that it's hard to wash so I'll have to see if it will come to life when I encore.

Ozzy2001 said:
That wlp 007 was what I used in that DFH 90. It fermented real clean, and I love that beer. I read that it's hard to wash so I'll have to see if it will come to life when I encore.

If I could get away with always pitching fresh, I would ... I don't mind the cost ... but the thing is, the real magic in a lot of these yeasts come from the 2-4th generations, I guess ...

That, and dropping big beers on whole cake's seems to be a better approach to big beers than single-step's from vials ...

The maniacal far-and-wide, try-to-consume-it-all phase is kind of wrapping up for me now, and I'm transitioning in the reduction phase, which is about focus and iteration and refinement through repetition.

I think people think I enjoy the far-and-wide phase, but it's actually not true ... I like the focused study phase, and just consider the far-and-wide part a necessary pre-condition to the focused part, to prevent me from getting sucked in to group-think ...

For better or worse, there's a lot of antiquated brewing knowledge on the internet ... it doesn't get tested often enough because bier happens despite a lot of wrong input.

I'll probably brew whatever JZ's got in Brewing Classic Styles for a big ass stout for my 3rd and final chamber position of this round of beers, I think ...

Right now I'm more focused on designing my electric brewery than on Farming yeasts. Once so get some conical fermenters in place and can collect yeasts I might start looking into it.

I'm not much into sours especially if that take a year or so to come into their own. I am in to Winter Warmers or Christmas Beers. I've been working in a Fig Pudding Porter even met since I started brewing. When I starters the recipe I made up was really out there. Now in leaning a little more conservative about it.

Looks like beer's happening! ;)

Was that an AG batch? ... I need to know for when you get to drinking it and extolling it's virtues and I suddenly want to brew it ...

grantmichaels said:
Looks like beer's happening! ;)

Was that an AG batch? ... I need to know for when you get to drinking it and extolling it's virtues and I suddenly want to brew it ...

Oh yeah. I'll get on my desktop and post all the info.
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.8 %
12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.3 % 12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.3 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.2 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.2 %
6.0 oz Munich Malt - 6L (6.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.2 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.1 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 18.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 4.0 IBUs 1.0 pkg
Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -

SG 1.053

I'm pretty excited about the keggle too.  My buddy owns a bar so I got the keg for $50.  My father in law is a badass welder so I'm gonna have him solder a couple of SS fittings in it for me too.

Nice, thanks!

Could become my 3rd and final batch for this round through the freezer ...

I'm brewing Wheebz batch tomorrow - that's to be my excellent-beer of the round ... the bhut was the experimental ... so the 3rd one is supposed to be a reasonable attempt at a beer that I should like, and a Barney Flats would pretty much be nailing that spec =) ...

Either that, or I'll track someone's clone recipe for a B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal clone ...

The coffee stout that I've got a raging beer-boner to brew isn't the Founders Breakfast, it's the Two Brothers Red Eye Coffee Porter ...

I've only gone so far as to collect the info I could gleam from their website and interviews to take a crack at cloning it, though, so far ...

It's that 1 in a million coffee beer that I actually like ...

So many shitty coffee beers =( ... as a lover of both, painfully so!

I "researched" my other bottle last night, lol ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445298330.778289.jpg

:drink:
Ozzy2001 said:
I'm pretty excited about the keggle too.  My buddy owns a bar so I got the keg for $50.  My father in law is a badass welder so I'm gonna have him solder a couple of SS fittings in it for me too.

I'm happy because I think we'll be able to have similar batch sizes in terms of sharing recipes without having to scale them ...

Nice.  I haven't tried that one yet.  I love that Founders Bfest stout though.  I like a lot of coffee stouts but that one is subtle along with the right amount of sweetness.  Some of the coffee stouts make me feel like I'm drinking a beer out of an old coffee mug, which is not good.  Like when you get iced tea somewhere and they used the coffee pot without washing it out bad after taste.

For your amusement too Grant the stout is "burping" out of the blowoff every 2 secs. ;)

Ozzy2001 said:
Nice.  I haven't tried that one yet.  I love that Founders Bfest stout though.  I like a lot of coffee stouts but that one is subtle along with the right amount of sweetness.  Some of the coffee stouts make me feel like I'm drinking a beer out of an old coffee mug, which is not good.  Like when you get iced tea somewhere and they used the coffee pot without washing it out bad after taste.

For your amusement too Grant the stout is "burping" out of the blowoff every 2 secs. ;)

I noticed - that puppy looks like it blew up for you! ...

That porter, if you can find it, is one of the best beers I've ever had ...

I probably won't see it again anytime soon, and just happened to run into those at my spot ...

It looks like they've only brewed it like twice prior, and like 3-4 years apart I think I noticed ...

Just brilliantly smooth, slightly under carbonated ... smooth and round, no edges ... just, great!

I'll check it out.  I've seen 2 bros at our local beer emporium before.  It's a blessing and a curse to have such a nice liquor store so close to me.  Its a Friar Tuck's.  Not sure if there are down in FL but its a pretty damn big store.  About 8-10 aisles absolutely loaded with beer, wine, and booze. 

Ozzy2001 said:
I'll check it out.  I've seen 2 bros at our local beer emporium before.  It's a blessing and a curse to have such a nice liquor store so close to me.  Its a Friar Tuck's.  Not sure if there are down in FL but its a pretty damn big store.  About 8-10 aisles absolutely loaded with beer, wine, and booze. 

If you like KBS, you'll love that one, I think ...

We have Total Wine, which has a couple of aisles for beer, but they have a relatively extensive collection of singles ...

Back