contest Pasta Throwdown BEGIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the best so far, Jay!!

DTS, that is the best presentation of the lot. That must have taken you 30 minutes just to plate it! However, I can't put the recipe together in my head.

Nice plating, though!

Well you guys and girls are blowin the doors off again- love all the seafood up in here! So here's my stuff... please keep in mind I was drunk when I came up with-

Boutros Bluefin on pasta al nero di seppia

ingredients:
lil slab o' bluefin seared
cuttlefish ink pasta
miso yaki sauce
green onions, bottoms and middles
caribbean red habanero
garlic
black sesame seeds
a lil bit of ground black and white pepper and ginger
had some salt in meh pasta boilin' water too

Anyway, I ate the avo and drank the beer I had in my teaser pic for breakfast while I cooked. Figured I might as well give THP his pasta on wall pic-

IMG_5232.jpg

Used the same CI skillet for the whole meal, with stuff in and out at various points. Boiled the pasta, seared the fish- took it out and stirred in the rest of the stuff w/some miso, took that out, stirred the noodles in w/ some miso, then threw it all on the plate. Miso burns quick if you let things get too hot for too long. Anyway, here's how it eventually came out- (my quarter was in my teaser pic, hope I got that right cause it's all gone now!)

IMG_5234.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5242.jpg

I love the pasta. Seared the tuna a bit more than I usually would, would have been better the day I got it. Was pretty much an experiment- but I liked it. My wife was horrified lol! For some reason that made it that much more worthwhile!

I have never seen cooked black pasta before. It is quite unique, and I think it would look awesome with a red sauce on top. Sorry Boutros, not a big fan of tuna, except in sushi form. It does have a very cool look about it, and I love those plates. San Diego?

Thanks Paulky appreciate it! And thanks/no sweat Buddah! Different was my aim, and while tuna is my fave food, I know it ain't always everybody's gig! The plates are some French restaurant kinda thing my wife got from Macy's like ten years ago.

Nice boutros, a contender for sure! I think I would have drizzled truffle oil over it in the end and hit it with sea salt... but maybe the miso yaki sauce was enough never had it! Does it add any saltiness?

The miso added a bit of saltiness, and a bit of sweetness, but not too much. I def prefer more salt over sweet, misos do vary. This sort was pretty good- no sweet teryaki flav's going on in case someone reads that in through the name. Could def be refined and messed with a lot! Had a vision of a little pineapple and some mushrooms at various points, but just went ahead with it as is. Thanks THP!

Okay! Now for a little smack talk.......ya'll better hang on cause I'm pulling out ALL of the stops on this one! This is going to be a classical Italian Hunter Dish and I call it Deer balls and Bowties :lol:
Teaser
FoodPics003.jpg

Right on JayT. Love your pile up of sea vittles too- scallops are somethin' I never can get enough of! The pasta was good. The ink flav is very subtle, it isn't overpowering or fishy tasting- slightly sweet if anything. I shoulda put some soy sauce on it.

Time's tickin' huh? Better get dem ballz goin' PF!

boutros said:
Figured I might as well give THP his pasta on wall pic-

IMG_5232.jpg

Looking for dem brownie points are we? :P j/k!

I have never seen anything like it either, boutros, but it sure does look fantastic!

Oh Shit!!!

I am not going to make it :mope: Since it is Easter and I HAD (read: wife made me) to go easter egg hunting with our daughter, I got a late start. :(

The deer balls are all made, the roux is made but needs to reduce, then I have about 20 more minutes of cooking the balls....:mope:

What do you guys say...in the spirit of the Holiday....Can we please...oh please...extend the time limit until 9 PM?

This one's over folks!

Voting thread coming up.

Sorry PF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back