• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

Never thought about that SS. I don't like to feed wild bugs as they may have pesticides or parasites that could cause trouble for my tarantulas.

The only problem bug I have at this moment is this little fellow

IMAG0536.jpg

Because of all the rain over here, they are doing well and thereby a big danger for my plants. They already completely destroyed 2 of my plants to the stem.

Patrick I chased the aphids with the last of the pyrethum spray. Next day I went out to check them before going to buy more spray and a ladybug and her EXTENDED family moved in on the aphids!!!! I think the plants will be safe now.

The only problem bug I have at this moment is this little fellow

IMAG0536.jpg

Because of all the rain over here, they are doing well and thereby a big danger for my plants. They already completely destroyed 2 of my plants to the stem.
They absolutely hate diatomaceous earth based organic insecticide, and of course chemical stuff does em in also.

I'm happy to say the Jonah 7/Bhut Jolokia cross is doing well! The new pods that are showing up have the same appearance as the first few peppers on the plant.

DSC005961280x960.jpg

DSC005981280x960-1.jpg

DSC005991280x960.jpg

DSC006021280x960.jpg

I am isolating one branch and right now there are four pods growing in the tulle so I should have lots of isolated seeds available. Just need the weather to hold out for a couple of more weeks. Keep them fingers crossed!
Isolation question:I ASSume that you must"bag" the isolation target before it flowers, or just immediately after? I keep thinking chocolate fatali/yellow 7;),choc bhut/yellow 7!!!

My condolences meatfreak, slugs give me the creaps. Just can't do slimy critters.

I'm happy to hear you have the right bugs moving in pepperfever.

gnsingr, yep you have to isolate the buds before they open up into flowers. Not sure why you're asking me about siling's avatar pepper, don't know anything about it.

Thanks, patrick :) It's a shame, but I take this years season as a learning year for the seasons to come ;) Next year I will do alot of things differently from what I've done this year. The problem is its hard to obtain yourself and not just start already :lol:

Good attitude meatfreak. I look at things pretty much the same way. I learned a couple of things myself this year that I think will help me a lot in the future. I totally agree it's hard to contain yourself to get going on next season, just wish I had more time in this season.

Time for some updates.

I'm really concerned about the weather holding out long enough for some pods to ripen. Having the hail in back to back weeks has set me back a bit and its frustrating to see all these peppers hanging from the plants and no color but green. I went out and bought some Botanicare CNS17, which according to the label says it's a Fruit and Flower Ripening Formula. NPK is 1-5-3. Stuff looks like vanilla yogurt--real thick.

Then I took a few pictures.

First up is Silver Surfer's yellow Trinidad Scorpions. The pod shape is very consistent. Winner!

DSC006311280x960.jpg

DSC006321280x960.jpg

DSC006341280x960.jpg

A few pics of the Pimenta Tiger AISPES. Man I love the purple, wish they would stay that way. Can you imagine the powder?

DSC006351280x960.jpg

DSC006361280x960.jpg

DSC006381280x960.jpg

DSC006371280x960.jpg

more to come....

Patrick, oddly the purple pods produce a powder of a sand color. An Italian grower sent me powder of Pimenta de Neyde 2 years ago and proved it. :)

Chris

Patrick how does your tiger ripen? Mine is deep purple, purple green, kind of a yellow then an awesome florescent orange then solid red.

Sand colored powder? That bites. Maybe if it's dried real slow, say 100-105F? I may goof around a bit with drying temps just to see. Chris it was your comment about good looking powder from someones white 7 Pots that got me to thinking about it. Thanks

Beagle the Pimenta Tigers have only gotten ripe on one plant and those finished with a cream/yellow color. They started purple then went yellow, orangish yellow then the cream/yellow. Don't know if the other two plants will be the same. Going by the three different shapes of the TS Morouga Yellow AISPES pods I wouldn't be surprised if all three finished with a different color. Got to love it!

Wow Patrick. Those pods look great. I especially like the MaddballZs. I am definitely with you in grabbing a few Madballz early. That cream color would be something to show off. Let us know if you decide to.

Matt

Thanks for the kind words everyone I really appreciate them.

Matt I think I just now decided to pick a few of the cream colored MadballZ 7's. Maybe grab a dozen or two of the medium sized ones and make some powder. Just can't help it, I want to see the powder they will make. Going to keep temps low low low.

S.S. Tupperware sorry to hear you had an off year. Living in Orlando you should be able to start on next years plants real soon. Here I'm hoping and praying for three more weeks of summer sun. I'm having about the best year I've ever had pod wise but getting them all to the ripe stage is going to be difficult. I have no problem making green powders though so nothing will go to waste.

Back