• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

Matt I think I just now decided to pick a few of the cream colored MadballZ 7's. Maybe grab a dozen or two of the medium sized ones and make some powder. Just can't help it, I want to see the powder they will make. Going to keep temps low low low.

Cant wait to see some pics. Good luck.

Update time! Going to be picture heavy today.

First off some AISPES peppers.

One of three Pimenta Tigers

DSC007271440x1080-1.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Yellow AISPES

DSC007111440x1080-1.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Yellow AISPES #1

DSC007251440x1080-1.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Yellow AISPES #2

DSC007141440x1080-1.jpg

The numbers correspond with the previous posts. No picture of #3 this time. Apologies

More to come..... :)

Yellow Bhut Jolokia's

DSC007031440x1080-1.jpg

DSC007041440x1080-1.jpg

DSC007091440x1080-1.jpg

This is the Brown 7 Pot that had the one single pod after we had a long talk. She decided to step up and try growing a few more. I'm so proud of her.

DSC007061440x1080-1.jpg

More to come....

Here's a flower that caught my eye, it's on a Chocolate Habalokia.

Front view:

DSC006991440x1080.jpg

Side view:

DSC007021440x1080-1.jpg

Looks like two buds tried to come out of the same spot on the node. Neither would give an inch. Wish there was time to see what it grows into.

I had something like this last year but these seeds are from another source. Say hi to my Red Savina with tails again.

DSC006941440x1080.jpg

DSC006911440x1080.jpg

More to come.....

Red Savina with tails continued...

DSC006901440x1080.jpg

DSC006851440x1080.jpg

This one is quite a bit different from last years. It's producing a huge amount of pods/flowers like a regular Red Savina, the pods are much closer in size, last years pods were huge, and the plant itself looks more like a Red Savina. I planted two of these from the same packet of seeds and the other one looks like a normal Red Savina. I would guess at least 70% of the pods on the plant are exhibiting a tail or tail like feature.

Man I love this hobby!

Thanks all!

Just beautiful!!! If only fall was 6 weeks away yet....the trinidad scorpion has no sign of a flower or a pepper, maybe next year.

That flower of the Chocolate Habalokia looks awesome, the rest looks good too hopefully they will ripen before it gets to cold.

Looking good Patrick. When do you generally see your first frost? You usually cart your plants in and out of the garage in the Fall right?

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Josh according to the Farmers Almanac I have a month to go before the first frost, 10/12/2011. That would make my day. I haven't done the drag into the garage in the fall yet, just when hardening the plants off. I may need to this year. I really hope not.

I am starting to see a little color here and there so who knows. I'll do what I have to do I guess.

I decided to pick a few of the unripe MadballZ 7 Pots and make some cream/light green powder. In doing that I needed to dry them right away so I grabbed everything I had picked earlier and fired up the dehydrator. Man my house smells great.

Here's what went into the dehydrator:

These are all Orange Bih Jolokia

DSC007421440x1080.jpg

These are of the MadballZ 7 Pots I have. Top are ripe, bottom are the ones I picked this day.

DSC007411440x1080.jpg

Top left moving clockwise: 7 Pot Primo, Chocolate Bhut Jolokia, the 7 Jonah cross, Chocolate Habalokia, one single Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Yellow AISPES and finally 7 Pot Barrackpore.

DSC007401440x1080.jpg

And finally:

Top left moving clockwise: Bishops Crown, Yellow Bhut Jolokia with a single Red Savina in there, the Espelette Basque, and last some Lemon Drop peppers.

DSC007391440x1080.jpg

patrick......Nice looking selection for the dehydrator,.....Ha, and that C.Habalokia flower...pretty cool....it appears to be playing a "Trumpet"...

Great pictures Patrick, nice variety as well.
I bet all those pods drying out at the same time smells amazing, amazingly hot at that.

Long talks with plants help em out a bit do they?.. Hmm..
I need to share a few words with my garden..
My neighbors gonna think I'm crazy.. Wait.. already does. :cool:

Brandon

Thanks gang.

Brandon, I love the way the house smells when the dehydrator is running. All warm and peppery. Health benefits from it too, son's band doesn't stay and practice as long so I get to keep my sanity and hearing just that much longer. Man I love this pepper growing thing we do!

So after about 48 hrs at 107F here's what's left of the peppers.

DSC008231550x1163.jpg

Each pepper is in it's own baggie then all of them went into the vacuum sealed bag so they stay dry until I do the grinding. Turning into a sissy this year and picked up a cheap respirator, grinding powder just kills my sinuses.

TPGM I did these real low and the colors look great, even on the unripe MadballZ peppers. I was going to grind them right away but since I may end up with a lot of unripe pods this year I'm going to wait.

I'm still going to try with the purple Pimenta Tiger's but since it's only the skin that's purple I understand why it came out sand colored. Still something to do eh? Good luck with your Pimenta de Neydes.

nie dude u always had the dankest powders. that plancenta powderwaslegendary. any possiblitie of making more im a BIG fan! btw ur plant s look great!

Back