• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2013 Grow Log

First off I would like to thank Millman for the inspiration to get off my duff and get the 2013 season started.

This list is probably not complete and I haven't figured out how many of each I'm going to grow. Or I should say attempt to grow. Me and Ma Nature ain't been seeing eye to eye lately. I'll be sacrificing some chickens or toads or what ever it takes to get her off my back soon. Burn some incense and do some chants? Convert to druidism? I'm open to suggestions. Anyway off to the list!

7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot BS, Orange
7 Pot BS, Red
7 Pot BS, Yellow
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Rennie
7 Pot White
Antillies Fire
Bengle Naga
Bhut Jokokia, Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel
Bonda Ma Jacque
Carolina Reaper
C. Rhomboideum
Douglah x T.S. Butch T F3
Habanero, Purple w/stinger
Infinity
JPL#1 (Classified)
Nagabon
Orange Blob F2
SB7J, F1 + F2
Trini Scorp Butch T, Judy/Hippy
Trini Scorp Morouga Blend, Hippy
Trini Scorp, Morouga

To the wonderful peeps who have sent me seeds please forgive me if they aren't listed. Once I figure out where I put them I'll add 'em to the list.

Best of luck to all of you on your 2013 grow.

Thought I should add a pic or two, show what's going on.

This is the new set up for seedlings. Used to be a dozen two foot florescent lights on chains that I could adjust. Now it's one fixture with four 4" T5 bulbs. So much neater and simpler to operate.

DSC027202300x1725_zps607eb3ad.jpg

And a few seedlings showing off their new leaves. Progress.

DSC027272300x1725_zps11a4ec86.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Shadow I've been doing the cup in a cup for a long time now. I was going to try the plastic bag trick that Brian suggested but went with something that has worked before. Just takes longer to water all of them. One thing I do have plenty of is time.

I have a low germination rate so I grabbed a couple of random cups and checked out the seeds. One was showing a little bit of mold on the seed shell and danged if I could find the other seed. Either I didn't get one in it or I missed it. I may have kept them a bit too wet, just have to wait and see. I think I'll start a few more of a couple different varieties. No such animal as too many peppers growing. :P

Normally there are spiders everywhere.

The peppers have their own room now Millman. Oh, I'll be pulling the A. versicolor sac in the next few days. I'll let you know.

Here's my germination numbers so far.

7 Pot Barrackpore x 1/5
7 Pot BS Orange x 4/4
7 Pot BS Red x 3/4
7 Pot BS Yellow x 2/4
7 Pot Primo x 1/4
7 Pot Rennie x 4/4
Douglah x Trini Scorp (F3) x 0/4
JPL#1 x 3/4
SB7J (Original F1) x 1/5
Trini Scorp Butch T x 3/3
Trini Scorp Morouga Blend x 0/4
Trini Scorp Morouga x 3/5
Trini Scorp Morouga CPI 7/10
Carolina Reaper 9/10 1 lost due to stuck seed cap
SB7J F2 2/5

Bengle Naga 1/5
Burmese Naga 1/3

Boils down to a 54% rate. Not very good but I have 40+ seeds still on the heat mat.

Nice start Patrick!
I'm using as well coco coir with microelements to start seeds this year, so soft and aerated :)

Happy season

Datil

Those rennies are eager to grow for you, you must be talking nice to them.

Looking forward to following your grow.

Great #s Patrick! Love the new light setup too. I almost bought some T5s yesterday...then started looking at some HPS. Ended up getting more CFLs. Throw in the occasional spider pic to give Pia the creeps!

Datil I agree with you on coco, what are the microelements you speak of?

I've noticed is a little bit of salt on the top of the coir in a couple of cups. I've only used Chili Focus for ferts so far so wondering where that came from.

The Rennies are doing great Rodney, thanks again for the seeds.

Thanks Shane. It's amazing the kind of money you can spend on lights isn't it? I stop by the hydro store every so often and start drooling when I go through the light section. 99 out of 100 times I'm going home with CFL's too. This year I finally got fed up with setting up 25 different lights. I believe Greg's "clean" comment was the first one I've ever had.

Here's a shot of the cuttings I took on the 4th of January. I dipped them in root hormone and into water. I change the water every four or five days and mist the leaves occasionally. You can see the roots starting to develop.

DSC02733_zpsdf65f877.jpg

Datil I agree with you on coco, what are the microelements you speak of?

I'm using this:

GF8289.jpg

other than being quality coir, it contains trace elements and slow release fertiliser as well so i hope i can keep seedlings without adding nutes for a while.
First time using it and is not cheap... I'll try and see :)

Cya

Datil

I have a low germination rate so I grabbed a couple of random cups and checked out the seeds. One was showing a little bit of mold on the seed shell and danged if I could find the other seed. Either I didn't get one in it or I missed it. I may have kept them a bit too wet, just have to wait and see. I think I'll start a few more of a couple different varieties. No such animal as too many peppers growing. :P

One little trick is to put the cups with moist soil in the microwave for a minute or two, frazzle everything inside, then sow and cling-film once cool. Then you have a completely sterile environment, with the only slight downside that you have a kitchen smelling slightly of boiling soil!

Ah but just realised this wouldn't solve the problem of mould on the seeds. There's a good chance that if the moisture and mold has penetrated through the seeds coat, the seed organelles will be damaged and there's nothing you can do, otherwise you can rinse the seeds in a weak solution of sodium peroxide (available in hardware stores or pharmacies) probably 1-2% max vol/vol. this would sterilise anything on the seeds but the seed coat will protect the inner organelles from damage if not left in the solution too long.

Back