• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2013 Grow Log

First off I would like to thank Millman for the inspiration to get off my duff and get the 2013 season started.

This list is probably not complete and I haven't figured out how many of each I'm going to grow. Or I should say attempt to grow. Me and Ma Nature ain't been seeing eye to eye lately. I'll be sacrificing some chickens or toads or what ever it takes to get her off my back soon. Burn some incense and do some chants? Convert to druidism? I'm open to suggestions. Anyway off to the list!

7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot BS, Orange
7 Pot BS, Red
7 Pot BS, Yellow
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Rennie
7 Pot White
Antillies Fire
Bengle Naga
Bhut Jokokia, Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel
Bonda Ma Jacque
Carolina Reaper
C. Rhomboideum
Douglah x T.S. Butch T F3
Habanero, Purple w/stinger
Infinity
JPL#1 (Classified)
Nagabon
Orange Blob F2
SB7J, F1 + F2
Trini Scorp Butch T, Judy/Hippy
Trini Scorp Morouga Blend, Hippy
Trini Scorp, Morouga

To the wonderful peeps who have sent me seeds please forgive me if they aren't listed. Once I figure out where I put them I'll add 'em to the list.

Best of luck to all of you on your 2013 grow.

Ah but just realised this wouldn't solve the problem of mould on the seeds. There's a good chance that if the moisture and mold has penetrated through the seeds coat, the seed organelles will be damaged and there's nothing you can do, otherwise you can rinse the seeds in a weak solution of sodium peroxide (available in hardware stores or pharmacies) probably 1-2% max vol/vol. this would sterilise anything on the seeds but the seed coat will protect the inner organelles from damage if not left in the solution too long.
Did you mean Hydrogen Peroxide? That's what I soak my seeds in to clean the nasties off.

My mail lady stopped by yesterday bearing gifts--I love it when that happens. Here's what it was, looks harmless enough doesn't it?

DSC027452300x1725_zps0de5c8ba.jpg

However inside was the potential for a lot of hurtin'. My Italian friends from AISPES sent the seeds for the 2013 grow that I asked for. Oh boy!

DSC027482300x1725_zps82834319.jpg

I've grown the TS Morouga Yellow and Pimenta Tiger before but the Maverick is new. Didn't have a lot of success with the Tiger growing true to form a couple of years ago, hoping these will.

Patrick, you lucky dog!!! Nice package of seeds. Hope all grow well for you. I'd like the "Tiger" but I know I have to join first...dang. :dance:

Wow, just looked up the Pimenta Tiger, that is a pretty special variety! Would love to hear how this turns out and grow some some day.

Yeah the tiger is a head turner for sure! If the red and black stripes can be stabilised it'll be one very sought after variety.

I'm not sure what "F" the Pimenta Tiger seeds are. The last time I got seeds to grow it was 2011. Sadly it didn't produce the red/black stripes. I know this was one of Marco's pet projects so I am hoping these will grow true. You guys will find out shortly after I do!

I'm having a problem with the seedlings. I don't think it's a fatal problem but I need to get it straightened out. I'm using a different coco coir than before and it has a salt issue. Bottom watering is bring the salt to the top so it's real evident. I'm not 100% positive it is the culprit causing the darkening of the leaves but I think it is a contributing factor along with the cooler temps in the grow room, 68F. I'm going to pot the larger ones up into Pro Mix and see if that will make any difference. If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears.

DSC027672300x1725_zps90a4321c.jpg

This is a mixed sign for me. On the positive side it's good to see roots growing like this. On the negative side the browning I don't like. Since it's hanging out like this it's sitting in the excess water. I'm going to pot it up.

DSC027652300x1725_zpsa3cba03f.jpg

I think the black patches on the leaves is one of the plant's natural responses to the high light intensity (light may be too strong). It looks like anthocyanin pigmenting which filters out some of the light (like a sun tan), in the same way as you get on pods when the light intensity is too great. This happened to some of my seedlings that were really close to my lights; and I think the young leaves are more sensitive to this. From looking at the absorption spectra of anthocyanin, it mainly absorbs green, ultraviolet light and a little blue so when combined with chlorophyll, the leaf appears black. In support to this suggestion, the Pimenta Tiger is a cross from the Pimenta de Nedeye which has particularly high levels of anthocyanin, hence why the foliage/pods are purple/black coloured, so I think this might just be a phenotype related to its genetics. However this is just my guess.
I didn't find it to have any noticable effect on growth rate of my plants, so if that is what's happening, you should be fine.

As regards to the roots, if you're bottom watering, they are going to head straight down to reach the water so the root system is likely to be long vertically but not spread radially a great deal, so you'd prob be ok to leave it a little longer, however I'm sure it'll be fine either way. Not so sure about the browning, that seems to happen in a lot of healthy root systems. From the pictures, they look ok I think, though I'm sure you've been doing this longer than me.

I had this happen to me this year, maybe about 25% of my seedlings, they were probably too close to the grow light. Purpling and some yellowing, putting them in natural light conditions seems to help them get back to normal, some of them at least...

also, are you sure it's salt (should look crystalline if it is, and if it is salt, it's going to kill that plant really quick as they don't like the electrolytes being too high); I get that white fuzz on some of the tops of the soil and mine is definitely some fungus or mold or some other microbe. It hasn't seemed to have had an adverse effect on my plants, but if it is, you may be able to spray with a little weak H2O2 or copper based fungucide (usually copper sulphate of copper octanoate), but someone please verify this as I have not tried this before. I would be cautious doing this on such small seedlings; wait till they're bigger.
If it is salt, I would buy some demineralised water or use rainwater.

I think the black patches on the leaves is one of the plant's natural responses to the high light intensity (light may be too strong). It looks like anthocyanin pigmenting which filters out some of the light (like a sun tan), in the same way as you get on pods when the light intensity is too great. This happened to some of my seedlings that were really close to my lights; and I think the young leaves are more sensitive to this. From looking at the absorption spectra of anthocyanin, it mainly absorbs green, ultraviolet light and a little blue so when combined with chlorophyll, the leaf appears black. In support to this suggestion, the Pimenta Tiger is a cross from the Pimenta de Nedeye which has particularly high levels of anthocyanin, hence why the foliage/pods are purple/black coloured, so I think this might just be a phenotype related to its genetics. However this is just my guess.
I didn't find it to have any noticable effect on growth rate of my plants, so if that is what's happening, you should be fine.
I was going to say this exact same thing but in one word... sunburn :P

Thanks guys. I was thinking lights too but was told by someone who I thought would know that it wasn't. I need to start trusting myself. This is the first time I've used the T5 lights on seedlings. I'm going to raise it up a bit.

johnnyb I know the difference between mold and salt, it's salt trust me. It's not coming from the water as I use water from a reverse osmosis filtering unit. It's coming from the coco coir. I've had it before with the coco coir but not to this extent. Traces of salt have been evident since I started bottom watering them a couple of weeks ago so the chance of it killing the plants quickly is gone. Also none of these seedlings are Pimenta Tigers as I just got those seeds four days ago and in the dirt three days ago.

Back