• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2013 Grow Log

First off I would like to thank Millman for the inspiration to get off my duff and get the 2013 season started.

This list is probably not complete and I haven't figured out how many of each I'm going to grow. Or I should say attempt to grow. Me and Ma Nature ain't been seeing eye to eye lately. I'll be sacrificing some chickens or toads or what ever it takes to get her off my back soon. Burn some incense and do some chants? Convert to druidism? I'm open to suggestions. Anyway off to the list!

7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot BS, Orange
7 Pot BS, Red
7 Pot BS, Yellow
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Rennie
7 Pot White
Antillies Fire
Bengle Naga
Bhut Jokokia, Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel
Bonda Ma Jacque
Carolina Reaper
C. Rhomboideum
Douglah x T.S. Butch T F3
Habanero, Purple w/stinger
Infinity
JPL#1 (Classified)
Nagabon
Orange Blob F2
SB7J, F1 + F2
Trini Scorp Butch T, Judy/Hippy
Trini Scorp Morouga Blend, Hippy
Trini Scorp, Morouga

To the wonderful peeps who have sent me seeds please forgive me if they aren't listed. Once I figure out where I put them I'll add 'em to the list.

Best of luck to all of you on your 2013 grow.

Time for an update. Been almost a week and things are progressing just fine. I have a few seedlings left in the 3 oz cups that I'm waiting to put in the 20 oz cups. Still seeing salt buildup on the top.

Here's a shot down the the pipe.

DSC028252300x1725_zpsc7e4d749.jpg

My SB7J. The two in the back are F2's and the scrawny guy up front is an F1. It was a late start. I have a couple more F1's in the 3 oz cups I'm hoping will grow.

DSC028392300x1725_zps156a7f24.jpg

Here's a shot of the undergrowth thanks to the T5 lights. I am stunned at how these plants are developing. If I had known I would have bought these lights a long time ago.

DSC028412300x1725_zps0760d1a1.jpg

Once I add the florescent lights I'm pretty certain they will get their height. Hoping for a boatload of nodes on these this summer.

Looking great Patrick!! Nice photos full of green!! Hope my season looks like yours. On that note, time to go catch some trout!

Everything's looking marvelous Patrick. Those SB7J's have great germ rates. Mine all popped up. Thanks again for the opportunity to grow them, they are my most anticipated pepper. I just picked up some T-5's as well, hope I have as much success as you. Keep it commin'!

Thanks everyone.

Jamison I haven't thought about topping them. I'm not sure what if any benefit it would provide. I know as soon as these get out from under the T5's they're going to start the vertical growth. Up until this season I used the 2' florescent grow lights you can get at Walmart for $10. Those didn't provide for any undergrowth. I like the idea of having bushy, thick plants. I'm thinking as soon as I get too many plants that the T5 can cover I'll have to break out the cheap florescent lights and add that light spectrum to the mix. Hopefully that will fire up the vertical growth. Going to find out that's for sure.

Looking nice Patrick . Off to another great start it looks like. T-5's are amazing compared to normal florescent tubes . So much brighter.

Peace,
P.Dreadie

Was watering today and came across this.

IMG_20130225_145129_507_zpsf975b45d.jpg

This can explain how air pots work. If you'll look at the longer root on the right you can see where it appears to be dying. That part of the root was outside of the cup and above the water level so it was exposed to the air. Behind the part that is dying you can see how the root has sent out other shoots. That's what air pots do. When the root gets through the fabric of the air pot and is exposed to air it dies. That makes it send out other shoots. At least I think that's how they work. Ha!

Nice healthy grow you have going. Those roots look great. I had some success manually pruning roots to buy time before potting up. It works similar to air pruning just messier and harder :).
Good this year!

Awesome roots on that cutting! My reason for topping is def not for vertical gowth. It helps them to bush out. It also lets tons of light down to the middle of the plant instead of being shaded by big leaves. I think the plants that don't get def get taller than the plants I top. I know they eventually Y out so I figure why not do it right away. I get tons of side shoots and branches that way.

Thanks all.

Millman I cut them on the 4th of January. I dipped them in rooting hormone and into the water they went. I changed the water every four or five days and about two weeks ago gave them a little taste of Myco and molasses water. That seemed to give them a jump start.

Jamison that makes perfect sense. I may try it with one or two. I've already moved a couple of the ones with a lot of undergrowth over to a 150W equivalent CFL to see if I can get them some height. Always trying something different to see what works and what doesn't. One of these days I'm going to stumble upon something that really works. I'll probably forget to write most of it down though. Ha!

Back