• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Hey Paul,
Can you verify that I see a tiny bit of fuzz on your tepins...gnslngr said he thought they should be bald???
This is your pic above...
DSCN3799a.jpg

Looks to pretty clearly have some fuzz...
I am not sure of my seed source, I am pretty sure a couple of the plants I have going are hybrids...kinda hoping the tepin is true though.

Shane

Maybe their like me and just lose their hair as they get older...

Your yellow aji plant looks so cool Paul! The main stalk with the cotyledons looks like arms trying to hold up the bulky new growth. That chiltepin is coming along great too, real vigorous.

Thanks for the visit, Matt - The aji is definitely on a growth trajectory! It responds to
topping and cloning well. Here's a pic of those 'arms' up close; there is new growth
of some kind at the base of the new branches, just noticed it yesterday:
DSCN3808a.jpg

We must have completely different tepin's...I think mine was labeled tepin #2??? The ones I have are much more compact than yours. Will be interesting what each of our pods look like!
I got mine from THSC. The germ rate was pretty good, 4/6 if I remember correctly.
I wonder if it could have to do with the lights?
You may also be interested in a few of these Wild Brazils I am growing, I will gladly shoot you some over once I get pods (or should I say if) They are also called Cumari and the pods are similar in size and shape to pequins or tepins, but they are a chinense.
I almost ordered some of those, but resisted in a fit of sanity. That would be great.
I am hoping there are actually pods at the end of all this!
Glad you're back!
I was worried about you...being all old and such!
You should warn us before your next hiatus!
Shane
Sorry bro; left a status update on Friday hoping it would help let people know.
Evidently I was in error. Being old and all I sometimes..., uh, what was I talking about?

Hey, Shane, thanks for dropping by and for watching out :D hope your temps stay warm!

Original clones. Aside from the EJ in the middle these annuums look pretty good; if the
center seedling is not a survivor, that would be 6/8 success rate providing I don't try to
kill them again.
DSCN3813a.jpg

top: serrano, cayenne, marconi rosso
middle: serrano, early jalapeno ?, bolivian rainbow
bottom: early jalapeno, empty cell, serrano

Here's a better view of the A tray clones. These look very good,
even the Bolivian Rainbow that survived The Baking looks good.
We mourn for its brother. So, looks like a possible 8/9 for this
tray:
DSCN3814a.jpg

Back row: Bishop's Crown, Bishop's Crown, Bolivian Rainbow
Middle row: Red Caribbean, Red Caribbean, Bolivian Rainbow
Front row: Congo Trinidad, Chocolate Habanero, Poblano

Wow Paul your plants continue to look awesome and cloning addition has been great I can not wait to see them once you move them outside.

Thanks, Fernando! I'm trying to approach yours, but have a way to go.
Gotta get some kelp and cal mag! I'm just trying to shepherd them through
'til the end of March, then I want to move to the green house :pray: I moved the
tomatoes in there today (29F last night, 39 in greenhouse, 77 in the sunny
afternoon). Thanks for stopping by, SC!

Here's the B clone tray. Egads, a weed! These all look like
survivors, so I'm saying 6/8 success rate for this tray. That little
aji clone is really growing:
DSCN3816a-1.jpg

Back row: Fatali, Fatali, Early Jalapeno
Middle row: Tepin, empty, Early Jalapeno
Front row: Tepin, Black Pearl, Aji Segment

The baccatums. I pulled up two that were just too stunted to mess
with, not very robust at all. One had no root at all, but the other
had one:
DSCN3820a.jpg

Notice the roots come right out the bottom of the stem. I thought they would grow out the side:
DSCN3817a.jpg

Here's a closer view; I'm not sure what the nodules on the stem are, maybe they are root tips? These cuttings
were taken on 2/17, so these roots took 19 days to develop to this extent. There are some that broke off, for sure,
as well:
DSCN3817b.jpg

Nice! Sorry you killed it! The Jal I cloned back in Nov-Dec in plain water developed roots the same way...right where it was cut.

Okay Shane and Ken will ROFL - I had to put up
another light for all the clones and new seedlings!
DSCN3779a.jpg

Hey, I'm not laughing! But since you are a cloning expert and also familiar with Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I can only surmise you have cloned yourself in order to be able to review and respond to almost every GLOG. I'm pretty sure your clone-body is in the new growing area.

Seriously, I nominate you Mayor of The Glogosphere. You took one weekend off and it was anarchy followed by the sound of silence. Don't ever do that again... :cool:

[quote name='stc3248' timestamp='1331122023' post='582529']
That comment on MG's page was a poke back at Brandon's comment...

Those two have some kind of page count contest going on...I really enjoy the cloning, grafting and soil content on your, my and jss's pages...little different than the standard "I planted some seeds and now they're growing!" glogs (which I also enjoy). I've learned a ton by surfing through everyone's trials and tribulations, but definitely some more than others. You are absolutely in the some and not the other category my friend!

Shane

I was rofl when I read the exchange the first time :rofl: it just struck me as very funny
and just part of the zany forum world! Like we said in the Navy, 'if they can't take a joke,
.... 'em!' I certainly took no offense whatsoever. If a little tongue in cheek humor is going
to bother me, then I need to eat a bhut jolokia!

I feel the same way about your grow and Brandon's too. It's fun and interesting to see
everyone's solutions to the problems they encounter along the way. I'm losing track of all
the great grow logs that are circulating, but it's fun trying to catch up!

[/quote]

[quote name='BigCedar' timestamp='1331144241' post='582705']
That joke is getting way too much attention!! lol.

I, for one, still find it funny, and no s**t, am sitting here
chuckling as I think about this whole thing! It's twice funny, cuz I was
blown away by the interest in the cloning thing, to begin with. Hey, it's cool
to keep things light, right?

For the record. I view the cloning, grafting, and soil experiement glogs more than the standerd ones and they deserve all the attention they get! It's something new and interesting people can and have learned LOADS of info from. Just like the Overwintering 101 deal.. Id be doing all the above I had more time. I got all your guy's tips and info stored in my mental memory bank for when I want to try my luck at it lol. Without the experimental glogs.. I wouldn't have figured out my soil problem and inturn.. wouldn't have a glog at all lol. So thanks for all the great info. Matt and I have been.. I don't even know what to call it.. pretend glog battling? since day one. how it got started, I really dont know lol. At the end of the day though it is a joke for us.. well.. Matt might be serious I don't know.. :lol: :

He seems pretty competetive. hahahahaha :lol: You know I survived 'Nam and
19 years of middle school teaching, so there isn't much I haven't heard or been
called! If that had offended me, I'd be a real lightweight. You guys are creating
great logs with great info that I draw a lot from and you should hear what I tell
people about you :D :D

Your clones are looking great Paul. Those fried one's don't look too bad and will snap back now that your there to care for them. I've seen worse trust me. Your chiltepin looks freaking great as well.. Good to have ya back in action my friend. Thanks!

Thanks for taking look, Brandon. I guess they aren't looking too worse for the wear!
I'm really hoping the Chiltepin turns into a real strong plant. They seem to grow well
in my little garage environment, which is a bonus!

Can't wait to see your stuff out in the yard this spring. Man, you and me both. Best case scenario -
greenhouse by April 1, and outside by May 15. That's about five weeks from now, and I've been
growing about five weeks. That would be sweet :surprised:

Brandon
[/quote]

Hey Paul,
Can you verify that I see a tiny bit of fuzz on your tepins...gnslngr said he thought they should be bald???
This is your pic above...
DSCN3799a.jpg

Looks to pretty clearly have some fuzz... Yeah I have noticed that on other seedlings too.
I kinda think it's normal to have a slight amount of fuzz, especially when young, to repel
pests. I imagine it will lose some of that as it matures.
I am not sure of my seed source, I am pretty sure a couple of the plants I have going are hybrids...kinda hoping the tepin is true though. This particular seedling is a Chiltepin from CPI at New Mex State. My Wild Texas Tepins,
which I'll post pics of tomorrow as I forgot responding to the other post, are from THSC in Oz.

Shane

Maybe their like me and just lose their hair as they get older...
Happens in the best of families, my brother!

Nice! Sorry you killed it! The Jal I cloned back in Nov-Dec in plain water developed roots the same way...right where it was cut.

It was for science! It would never have had a future, so seeing
its roots was illuminating the world of clonedom. Interesting that
the water method had the same result? When I do this with Jade
plants, the roots emerge from the nodes as well as the cut stem.

Take care, Shane!

Hey, I'm not laughing! But since you are a cloning expert and also familiar with Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I can only surmise you have cloned yourself in order to be able to review and respond to almost every GLOG. I'm pretty sure your clone-body is in the new growing area.

Haha, you are killin' me! Those grow setups do look like some kind of cocoons :D
I think my system of responding to the grow logs is a good one, with a few rough edges.
They turn over so fast, if I don't respond to all the first page in 12 hours, the whole
glogscape changes! There's no way I can just do a few a night, nightly.

Seriously, I nominate you Mayor of The Glogosphere. You took one weekend off and it was anarchy followed by the sound of silence. Don't ever do that again... :cool:

Are you kidding? So much stuff happened it has taken me three days to catch up!

Here's a little transplant update.

Red Habanero, late germinator (2/15 - 11 days) so 21days old, and slow to start, but gaining traction:
DSCN3810a.jpg

A little closer view - you can see little hairs on this seedling:
DSCN3810b.jpg

Chiltepin late germinator (2/18 - 28 days), so it's at about 18 days since hooking:
DSCN3809a.jpg

Yellow Aji, another late germinator, 2/5 (13 days), so 31 days old, that just
sat in cotys for a long time. Really starting to accelerate growth. The
Yellow Ajis are another variety that seem to do well in my set up:
DSCN3807a.jpg

Hungarian Hot Wax, germinated on 2/10 (6 days), so 26 days:
DSCN3811a.jpg

nice - still got all their leaves too! The stuff you throw out would classify as gold at my place.

Only the best at your place :cool:

hi paul,
2 questions

how do you clone? is it by cutting a branch and putting it in soil directly or you add something on the branch to stimulate root grow before puting it in soil?

would like to try that !

second question...
Do you always cut the top of your plants and botom leaves? Why?

Hey Paul - good work as usual!
Re: the nodules by the roots of the uprooted clone - I've got a plant that could probably use a repotting, it's coming out of the soil a little bit so the root zone is very near the surface. Anyway, it's got those same bumps just above the roots. I'm not sure what it is.

WOW! Those clones look more BA than some of my plants!

Coming from you, that's a real compliment, Shane, but I look to your
log for inspiration! The 'A' tray seems to be doing great, for sure!
Thanks for being a loyal visitor!

nice - still got all their leaves too! The stuff you throw out would classify as gold at my place.

Only the best at your place :cool:

Hey, Simon. Thanks for visiting.
I really do hope to find a home for my extra plants. Some of my own seedlings
don't look as good as the clones! Once they get a real root system, they should
really take off. I thought that was pretty good rooting for 19 days.

hi paul,
2 questions

how do you clone? is it by cutting a branch and putting it in soil directly or you add something on the branch to stimulate root grow before puting it in soil?

I use Rootone. Scroll about halfway down:
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27427-paulgs-glog/page__st__120

would like to try that ! Go for it!

second question...
Do you always cut the top of your plants and botom leaves? Why?

Not always. If I want to keep a plant from being too tall, I 'top' it off so the nodes will send out new branches. This is the case with the topping I'm doing in this thread, as some of the plants are growing into the lights, and I don't want to raise the lights. This creates a bushier plant. I don't think overall pod production would be much different, all things being equal. As for the leaves, when bottom leaves begin to fade and yellow, I snip them off. I figure they aren't really doing the plant much good at that point, and may be draining the plant. Just my own wild-a** theory :D

Thanks for paying my log a visit, Hammer! Good luck as you go forward with your grow season.

Hey Paul - good work as usual!
Re: the nodules by the roots of the uprooted clone - I've got a plant that could probably use a repotting, it's coming out of the soil a little bit so the root zone is very near the surface. Anyway, it's got those same bumps just above the roots. I'm not sure what it is.

Hi, Andy - thanks for dropping in! Your grow log is really rockin'!
I have seen those quite often on my own plants of all types.
I think those are root nodules coming out of the root crown area.
If you covered those with dirt, I bet they would grow out into roots,
so transplant deep!

Okay, Shane, here's both of my Wild Texas Tepins from THSC. They have similar growth habits at
this point, but we'll see what happens in the gallon pots and into the greenhouse if we get there! Just
put my tomatoes out there yesterday. It was around mid 70'sF during the day, 39 at night cuz exterior
temp was about 30-32, and in today's sunny 65F temps, it hit 98! With one of the windows cracked
open. But I digress. Here are the Tepins:
DSCN3821a.jpg

Shane, why don't you just post a pic of yours here for comparison?

Here's the Chiltepin from CPI that I topped:
DSCN3822a.jpg

Haven't seen the Explosive Embers from THSC for awhile. For you Andy!
DSCN3823a.jpg

How about a stem review?

Long Red Cayenne:
DSCN3827a.jpg

Cayenne up close:
DSCN3827b.jpg

Serrano:
DSCN3824a.jpg

Yellow Aji:
DSCN3828a.jpg

Here's a couple of plants I have been posting off and on.

Long Red Cayenne. I snipped the yellow leaves,
and when potted up will plant up to the node just
below the lower leaves:
DSCN3825a.jpg

Early Jalapeno - same here:
DSCN3826a.jpg

Those Explosive Embers are great plants Paul. Great looking little beasts and the pods have some heat if a little bitter but all round great ornamentals. They branch like crazy and would make great border plants in a flower garden.

Thanks, Tripp. they sound very interesting. I'm
looking forward to the Black Pearl as well!
Take care, man!

Here they are...
P1000396.jpg

The over achiever and the under achiever...

P1000395.jpg

First the under achiever...doing very well and actually impressive on its own. 3 or 4 small side shoots.

P1000393.jpg

and here's the over achiever. Really going to town. A few of the larger side shoots breaking out from under the canopy.

P1000394.jpg

I counted 12 shoots branching off with growth at the upper nodes as well...this is going to be one bushy little plant!

Neither plant was pruned or altered in any way, just growing this way.

The main source of my concern was a comment from Gnslngr that he thought they should be bald. I am now pretty confident in them. My source was a seed train, so their pedigree was suspect. They were labeled Tepin #2.

Your page views have been steadily gaining on mine! I think defeat is imminent!!! (closet competitor as well lol) May as well help you go ahead and claim victory!

Your a fun guy to follow Paul!
Shane

Nice update Paul. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in yield between that Cayenne donor vs a cayenne that wasn't cut back. If you get twice the yield out of that plant you took cuttings from, you're going to have one hell of a harvest!

Viewership per post on average:
PaulG - 24.25 vpp (Views Per Post)
Shane - 31.25 vpp
Ken - 14.17 vpp
Spicy Chicken Glog - 29.31 vpp
Compmodder - 40.49 vpp

Looks like both of you are being beaten by two that aren't even competing haha :) Good thing its a friendly (and funny) competition.

Your numbers are both higher than mine however :)

Hey Paul looking awesome as always. Question. How old were your Tepins when the new growth started at the bottom of the plants under the canopy?

[quote name='stc3248' timestamp='1331270169' post='583760']
Here they are...

The over achiever and the under achiever...

First the under achiever...doing very well and actually impressive on its own. 3 or 4 small side shoots.

and here's the over achiever. Really going to town. A few of the larger side shoots breaking out from under the canopy.

I counted 12 shoots branching off with growth at the upper nodes as well...this is going to be one bushy little plant!

Neither plant was pruned or altered in any way, just growing this way.

The main source of my concern was a comment from Gnslngr that he thought they should be bald. I am now pretty confident in them. My source was a seed train, so their pedigree was suspect. They were labeled Tepin #2.

Your page views have been steadily gaining on mine! I think defeat is imminent!!! (closet competitor as well lol) May as well help you go ahead and claim victory! Hahaha. It's amazing how many people have too much time on their hands ;)

Your a fun guy to follow Paul!
Shane
[/quote]

Your tepins are definitely bushier than mine, and furrier. Both of your
specimens look great, but the OA is just awesome! Mine look like
toothpicks with leaves compared to those :D Your plants always look
just outrageous! Thanks for posting those pics - it will be interesting to
see what things look like in a couple of months. 'm not sure i can
wait until Spring to get the plants out in some sunshine, or myself
for that matter! Thanks for the interest Shane, I appreciate your comments,
good luck with those night time temps!

Nice update Paul. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in yield between that Cayenne donor vs a cayenne that wasn't cut back. If you get twice the yield out of that plant you took cuttings from, you're going to have one hell of a harvest!

Thanks, Matt. Maybe I'll try to grow them both out for a comparison. My hunch is that it won't affect the yield much if the plants are in same sized containers. etc. Now if I can just baby sit then through the next month : ) Thanks for checking in - good luck going forward.

Viewership per post on average: This is funny!
Shane - 31.25 vpp
Ken - 14.17 vpp
Compmodder - 40.49 vpp

Looks like both of you are being beaten by two that aren't even competing This is the funniest part of all! haha :) Good thing its a friendly (and funny) competition.

:rofl: This whole thing has been cracking me up!

Hey Paul looking awesome as always. Question. How old were your Tepins when the new growth started at the bottom of the plants under the canopy?

Howdy, Beehunter! Let me look back through my log...

Later: Okay here's the first pic of it- http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27427-paulgs-glog/page__st__200
That's on 2/22. They sprouted on 2/2, so 20 days or so.​

Viewership per post on average:
Shane - 31.25 vpp
Ken - 14.17 vpp
Compmodder - 40.49 vpp

Looks like both of you are being beaten by two that aren't even competing haha :) Good thing its a friendly (and funny) competition.

Hey looky there. I'm winning a competition that I'm not even a part of. Figures... :banghead:

Back