• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

If its just planted at an angle, tropisms kick in and straighten the plant... In one of my grafts I planted the host at a 45, and tried an approach graft... the host straightened up within a day or two pulling the scion out of the ground...

if its planted at an angle, and tied, perhaps that would make a difference.

Yeah... sorry I assumed paul meant planting it at an angle would help it along in terms of ease of LST'ing it not being an LST technique in itself. However depending on the size of the plant this approach can work as well.
If its a smaller stemmed young plant it will straighten itself fairly well, however an taller, older plant with an established woody stem tipped over will relocate Auxins and create new growth tips long before tropism can straighten a stem sufficiently to overcome this response.
You only have to look at an some types of older trees that have been pushed/fell over with its roots staying attached to the ground to see that it will never straighten up the established stem/trunk and will indeed send suckers vertically from along its length. An oversized exaggerated example I know but it shows my point.

But yeah pinning/pegging /tying is a better approach to ensure LST works at its best

Shane-"Your #'s are lower because you are weak and insignificant! :mope: :rofl:" ...you made me shoot coffee out my nose!

Paul-you must now out plant him, gauntlet layer that he is! :rofl:
I have exceeded my alotted likes as I said before, so I will use cunning and deception to say that which is forbidden of me.
I bestow upon you the title of "Accomplished Peppernographer"...fine looking specimens I must say; heat levels irregardless!
Have a good one -
Dave

If its just planted at an angle, tropisms kick in and straighten the plant... In one of my grafts I planted the host at a 45, and tried an approach graft... the host straightened up within a day or two pulling the scion out of the ground...

if its planted at an angle, and tied, perhaps that would make a difference.

I think you are right. You would have to tie down the
growing tip as it extended, even if planted at an angle.

Yeah... sorry I assumed paul meant planting it at an angle would help it along in terms of ease of LST'ing it not being an LST technique in itself. That's what I meant to say : ) However depending on the size of the plant this approach can work as well.
If its a smaller stemmed young plant it will straighten itself fairly well, however an taller, older plant with an established woody stem tipped over will relocate Auxins and create new growth tips long before tropism can straighten a stem sufficiently to overcome this response.
You only have to look at an some types of older trees that have been pushed/fell over with its roots staying attached to the ground to see that it will never straighten up the established stem/trunk and will indeed send suckers vertically from along its length. An oversized exaggerated example I know but it shows my point.

But yeah pinning/pegging /tying is a better approach to ensure LST works at its best

Great example, Tripp. Thanks

Shane-"Your #'s are lower because you are weak and insignificant! :mope: :rofl:" ...you made me shoot coffee out my nose!
Yeah, that was freakin' hilarious!
Paul-you must now out plant him, gauntlet layer that he is! :rofl:
I don't think I can unseat the master - I notice he has left me in the dust lately :D
I have exceeded my alotted likes as I said before, so I will use cunning and deception to say that which is forbidden of me.
I bestow upon you the title of "Accomplished Peppernographer"...fine looking specimens I must say; heat levels irregardless!
Have a good one -
Dave

Thanks for the accolades, Dave, you are more than kind. Thanks for your interest in this thread. Here's to continued success with your own grow!

I think I'm going to try that with my graft tomorrow...

Put it on its side, with the wound up...

Try to force the growth out the scion....

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day​
I'm glad someone is watching out for excess "positivity".
Polyannas are the vexation of decorum!

Paul I am really impressed my friend. Great work

Paul, what king of lights you running?
!

Hey, thanks, John! I have 4x 4' T12 6500 K, 84cri on the grow table,
and 2x the same over the clones and transplants. Just basic
stuff really. Thanks for your interest and good luck with your own
grow season!

I think I'm going to try that with my graft tomorrow...

Put it on its side, with the wound up...

Try to force the growth out the scion....

That will be very interesting! I'll be sure to check that out!
Go, grafters!

In my restraint of my urges to over water, I probably overshot the mark by 24 hours!
Some of the plants were really droopy this morning! I took the opportunity to give them
some CalMag, and make sure they were all fully watered. I think I have underestimated
how much the fan and lamps suck water out of the soil, along with the plants pumping
it through their systems, as well! While I had them out for watering, i took a couple of
group shots.
DSCN3845a.jpg

The other half:
DSCN3846a.jpg

Here are a couple of annuums I topped off 0n 2/6; they were
crazy tall! Another Serrano:
DSCN3847a.jpg

And a Marconi Rosso:
DSCN3848a.jpg

It's evident that the Long Red Cayenne stem is progressing right
along with the other Cayenne plants in terms of development.
The tips of the new branches are now branching themselves,
and forming buds:
DSCN3850a.jpg

The Serrano stem gets droopy once in a while,
then perks up later. I figure it's just resting:
DSCN3849a.jpg

The Yellow Aji; still very robust:
DSCN3851a.jpg

Looking healthy now Paul. At least you caught them in time and there was no harm done

Right, Tripp! Someone on the forum said we had to
be mean to them once in a while, but it's not my
preferred gardening philosophy : ) They are looking
perky tonight. We'll see what effect the CalMag
has on them in a few days. Thanks, for your interest,
bro!

Here are the tops of the Cayenne and the Early Jalapeno we've
been following. Cayenne:
DSCN3856a.jpg

Early Jalapeno:
DSCN3857a.jpg

I see a cayenne pod in your future...if you don't pinch it! You can really see the love in each of your plants man. I can't wait to see what happens when you put your clone army in the ground in...what 6 weeks???

A cool thing happened last night. A friend of ours who is originally from Peru came over and brought some pepper seeds and dried peppers. She said the loose seeds were Aji Amarillo, and some black Rocoto/Manzano seeds! How cool is that. I think the seeds are from peppers she got from someone there or when she was last there, but I was so all over the seeds, I really don't remember what she said! I'll have to find out! The whole dried peppers were given to her by an asian friend, and she will ask what they are called, but didn't know at the moment. She said the cherry shaped ones were HOT! For her to say that, I believe it! There was also stem with about a 1/4" of a long skinny dried red pepper husk on it. I took a nibble or two, and it had my mouth and tongue tingly for awhile, so it's probably hot. I hope there were no seeds from the skinny red husk in the packet and that they are really all Aji. Here's what she brought; I have not examined them closely, yet, but it looks like most are okay - a few that look suspect on cursory exam :
DSCN3853a.jpg

Here's a closer view in case anyone wants to take a crack at figuring out what they might be.
I make the skinny one to be about 1 3/8 inches long, and the large red one about 5/8" in
diameter, dry. Seeds not related to peppers!:
DSCN3855a.jpg

I see a cayenne pod in your future...if you don't pinch it! You can really see the love in each of your plants man. I can't wait to see what happens when you put your clone army in the ground in...what 6 weeks???

We had 55F in the garage last night, so it may just fall off! It looked healthy this evening : )
I will start pinching at some point, I was hoping April 1, which is when I want to pot up to gallons.
That would be best case scenario, I think, then 1 month 'til May in a good year. They can hang
in the cool nights and warm days in the greenhouse for quite awhile once in there. In the ground
early June if it looks good. Our 50% frost date is April 21, I believe 90% frost date is May 10,
but warm night temps lag a while. Once we get going, our grow season can last into october
or even later for some fall/winter crops.

Haha clone army! I think they love the so cal climate; Poway is their favorite spot, I believe,
so beware :twisted: Thanks for visiting again, Shane; you have a high tolerance for pain, my friend!

Looking healthy as always paul! love the group shots! I also fight with the urge to overwater and tend like you to end up 24 hours late on getting them a drink! I think i wilt my plants atleast once a week! i gotta figure out a way around that. let me know when you get it all dialed in! Are those black seeds naturaly that color? Ive never seen that. pretty cool! you planning on starting any of those this year or holding off till next?

Looking healthy as always paul! love the group shots! I also fight with the urge to overwater and tend like you to end up 24 hours late on getting them a drink! I think i wilt my plants atleast once a week! i gotta figure out a way around that. let me know when you get it all dialed in! Are those black seeds naturaly that color? Ive never seen that. pretty cool! you planning on starting any of those this year or holding off till next?

Thanks for the visit, Beeman! If I get ever it dialed in, I'll be the last to know : )
I'm interested to see how alternating waterings with fish and calmag will
work. I also have to figure out the best way to use the kelp - looks like most
folk foliar spray with it, but I've never used it before.

The black seeds are manzano/rocoto, I think the names are
interchangeable, but might be mistaken on that. They are a c. pubescens,
and more fuzzy than the regular peppers sp. My Orange Rocoto
is one of those. It's still early in the season for us. I think I will try to germ a few
just for drill. I'd like to have another rocoto, and it will be good to see if the
aji seeds are viable, too. Have fun with your plants, and good luck going forward!

It's still early in the season for us. I think I will try to germ a few
just for drill. i'd like to have another rocoto, and it will be good to see if the
aji seeds are viable, too.

You've got seeds from Peru just sitting there begging to be planted, I mean, how could you resist? It's almost your duty to plant them at this point.

You've got seeds from Peru just sitting there begging to be planted, I mean, how could you resist? It's almost your duty to plant them at this point.

Okay, Andy, that's all the encouragement I needed!
I start a little grow log within a grow log of the aji and
rocoto seeds!

You've got some really healthy looking plants there my friend. The c Chinese guys have some big ol leaves n nice compact new growth. Nice job Paul. Oh no.. now your talking about planting more seeds?? Now you have me thinking about it again.. and that's the last thing I need to be doing! lol. I have quite a few varieties in storage that I'm not growing this year and everytime I see em I feel like a crackhead needin a fix but I'm fiending for some more sprouts. It's a constant mental battle that goes on in my head everyday.. I think I need therapy. :lol:

Brandon

I am pretty certain we all could use a little therapy Brandon...Glad I'm not the only one with seeds still on the germ tray!

I am pretty certain we all could use a little therapy Brandon...Glad I'm not the only one with seeds still on the germ tray!

I guess I'll hold my hand up on that one... I have a few planted of each variety I got in my care package from BootsieB and the seed swap hosted by Highalt. I already had about sixty gochu peppers started and a few orange habs and jalapenos, Now I just added another forty chilies...

You've got some really healthy looking plants there my friend. The c Chinese guys have some big ol leaves n nice compact new growth. Nice job Paul. Oh no.. now your talking about planting more seeds?? Now you have me thinking about it again.. and that's the last thing I need to be doing! lol. I have quite a few varieties in storage that I'm not growing this year and everytime I see em I feel like a crackhead needin a fix but I'm fiending for some more sprouts. It's a constant mental battle that goes on in my head everyday.. I think I need therapy. :lol:

Brandon

Thanks for dropping by Brandon! I have some I didn't do this year, too, but these just kind of fell into my lap so to speak, so I think it is a sign from god. I don't like to sound critical but you need therapy : ) Haha it's a pretty benign affliction, Brandon. The only real problem is time and space - sort of an Einstein thing, I guess. Good luck moving outside! Be checking out your glog soon!

It keeps us off the street, which keeps at least one other person
happy! I'm glad you stopped by Shane; speaking of germ trays:
DSCN3863a.jpg

I guess I'll hold my hand up on that one... I have a few planted of each variety I got in my care package from BootsieB and the seed swap hosted by Highalt. I already had about sixty gochu peppers started and a few orange habs and jalapenos, Now I just added another forty chilies...
I figure I'll have around 20-25 or so. A hundred would blow me away!

You will be one busy guy, for sure! Best of luck keeping that under control.
Thanks for stopping by Rick - I'll be checking with you later!

Here are some clone/transplant pics. As far as the clones go, I think we
are around the corner. They all have some new growth even though some
are more robust than others.

Chiltipin clone:
DSCN3862d.jpg

Chocolate Habanero rescue transplant:
DSCN3862c.jpg

Red Habanero:
DSCN3862b.jpg

Here are some clone pic updates. I've shown the tray and a
couple of close ups to see the new growth.

Clone tray A.
DSCN3858a.jpg

Red Caribbean:
DSCN3858b.jpg

Chocolate Habanero:
DSCN3858c.jpg

More clone updates.

Clone Tray B. these look like survivors:
DSCN3859a.jpg

Wild Texas Tepin. A few tiny hairs on the leaves:
DSCN3859b.jpg

Black Pearl. Really a transplant as a very small seedling:
DSCN3859c.jpg

Yellow Aji segment:
DSCN3859d.jpg

Original Clones:
DSCN3860a.jpg

Bolivian Rainbow:
DSCN3860b.jpg

Cayenne:
DSCN3860c.jpg

Will add more after the next post. Thanks for dropping by!

Back