• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Posted pics of clone trays in yesterdays post. All are new except
clone tray B; somehow the monkey I hired to take the pictures left
that one out. What a clod :banghead: So the B tray pic is from 3/13, and
contains a Bolivian Rainbow which dispatched yesterday.

Thought I'd transplant clones today, as I'm starting to see root tips
peeking out a few holes in the pots. I decided to use the 'nested
party cup' method for my pots. Drilling holes seemed like a real pain
after doing one. Didn't have anything hot enough to burn through 18
cups efficiently. So, decided to just use the ol' box knife; worked like
a charm. The plastic cut easy and I could cut four holes in the
bottom rim of the glass lickety-split,:
DSCN3897a.jpg

I mixed a lot more peat and perlite into my soil mix to lighten it up a little.
I also added a 1/4 teaspoon each of mycorrhizae/humic acid and dry
molasses to each cup when transplanting:
DSCN3900a.jpg

I don't usually handle the root balls, but I almost dropped this one :doh: and it
made a good pic of the roots, so... It's been 34 days or so since it was treated with Rootone:
DSCN3902a.jpg

Haha you can run but you can't hide the clone swarm will engulf your civilization
puny earthlings:
DSCN3912a.jpg

Seventeen clones transplanted today. I gave some annuum clones to a neighbor;
there were 8 of them, I believe, Serrano, Poblano, Jalapeno, Cayenne, maybe a
Marconi Rosso. Here are some closer views.

DSCN3909a.jpg

Back: Omni Color
Middle: Inca Red Drop, Inca Red Drop
Front: Black Pearl, Chiltepin, Bolivian Rainbow

DSCN3910a.jpg

Back: Fatali
Middle: Fatali, Bishop's Crown
Front: Wild texas Tepin, Yellow Aji (stem segment), Bishop's Crown

DSCN3911a.jpg

Back: Chocolate Habanero
Middle: Bolivian Rainbow (really hard to see so dark), Congo Trinidad
Front: Red Caribbean, Red Caribbean (somehow lost a leaf in the process)

The clones in their regeneration booth new home. They share the space with the
Chiltepin clone, Red Habanero, Chocolate Habanero, and two NuMex Twilights:
DSCN3913a.jpg

Thanks for looking, as always. Have a great weekend, and
good luck getting your plants through the next week!

Man you are like a beaver chewin' wood over there Paul! So much going on I bet the oxygen level in the room's damn near 100% lol. Nice work Paul. Thank you for taking so much time to fill us all in and let us on for the ride.

nice to see those clones have taken so well paul. Nice work!!

Thanks for stopping by, Tripp! It has been a fun experiment. If all 17 survive to plant
out, that would be cool! I'll stop by your log later today, I'm sure I'll be amazed as always!

Man you are like a beaver chewin' wood over there Paul! So much going on I bet the oxygen level in the room's damn near 100% lol. Is that why I feel light-headed all the time :D Nice work Paul. Thank you for taking so much time to fill us all in and let us on for the ride.

Hey KIng - How's it goin'? Thanks for visiting and the kind words.
It is fun sharing this stuff and seeing all the cool ideas and methods
that are shared on the forum. I've picked up ideas here that I wish
I had known years ago! Have a good day, bud!

They look great Paul thanks for showing the results of the rootone on the clone did you notice if one variety did better than the rest through the process.
Thanks again

They look great Paul thanks for showing the results of the rootone on the clone did you notice if one variety did better than the rest through the process. Thanks again

Hey, Fernando! Thanks for following the clone adventure :D I think all the varieties did pretty well. Most that didn't were results of poor technique, like cutting the clone too short, rather than being a certain variety. I'll put a link here to the results:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27427-paulgs-glog-clones-become-transplants/page__view__findpost__p__588945

All in all, I think the cloning experiment was a success. The resulting plants should be healthy and in every respect exactly like the donor plants. Would be interesting to use clones in experimental trials to control normal random expression of genetic traits. At any rate, I now have 17 more plants :party:

They all look so photogenic in their new solo homes! I wonder what they'll look like in July?!?!?! Can't wait! As always your strike through comments gave the post that little bit of Paul humor...perfect!
Shane

This is great. After seeing your posts I'm trying to clone a cutting from a charapita that I've been nursing through the winter. It's been 10 days since rooting hormone, and I still don't see any new growth. The leaves I left on are still alive, though.

Paul, how long have you been cloning peppers? Have you ever grown em all the way out after cloning? Just wondering what the results were in terms of pods. Also what is your success rate when cloning, if you start 10 clones how many root up? I find this very interesting. I'd love to grow a couple of moms and the clone the bejesus out of em. No more seed trays or heat mats lol

Cloning, grafting, layering.........all are cool!

Years back we had a "Rubber Tree" at work . That plant was growing in the neighbor "barber shop" for years....vintage 1970's. Some how my boss at work was able to yank that thing out of the shop, brought it to work, put it in his office and grew it for 10 more years .
He laterially trained it , supported it by bungee cords strapped to the drop ceiling. He retired about 10 yrs ago. But before so, a few of us did some air-layering with cheese cloth and vermiculite and I started a plant at home which I still have. I don't have the huge growth that the plant had under 24hrs of office flouros, but the plants healthy and it brings back memories of the barbershop.........which is still there with a smaller version of the plant growing in the south facing window. One day I may stop in and visit "Richard" a one man showman barber with all the stale jokes you'd want to hear.....I can't believe he's still around.
I think he'd be amazed with the full circle story.
But getting back to your cloning, what a job your doing Paul. What's nice about cloning, you'll very rarely end up with a spindly plant. Most clones stay compact and bushy.
On a different note I've had a few requests for some patio container tomatoes and some peppers that will grow on a balconey......hot peppers that is. So with 7 wks to go for the outdoor planting, I decided to prune back a dozen plants.
I topped the main branching above the split and the 1st node and stripped off all the old leaves. I've done this before so it's not an experiment.
Since the plants were not overwintered and still mid-stream in growth, the new growth has started back in full force.from every node and leaf cut. That's a way to keep a plant somewhat compact ( such as the large Trinidads or India's) which can normally grow 6+ ft.

Opps...........sorry for the ramble..on your glog

Greg

They all look so photogenic in their new solo homes! I wonder what they'll look like in July?!?!?! Can't wait! As always your strike through comments gave the post that little bit of Paul humor...perfect!
Shane

Hey, Shane! Glad you like their new high rise digs! I'm thinking about some clone/donor comparisons for future months fun in the grow logs. Would be interesting to compare them in any number of ways. I kind of had that in mind for today's post, so might as well start here. Thanks for stoppi.....PaulG has been assimilated. You will be assimilated, stc3248. Resistance is futile.

The Long Red Cayenne family; you can draw your own conclusions. The tallest plant (7/49 )has grown with no interference, branching when it was ready. The intermediate-sized plant (8/48) was cut back on 2/11, and looks every bit as healthy as the taller plant. The smallest plant (11/45) was a rescue trans-
plant, the 'runt' of its cell, yet is branching and budding
just like the other two, albeit slower:
DSCN3916a.jpg

Early Jalapenos; new growth looks good, branching and
budding. The older leaves show curl and have been for
a while, especially the one in the white pot (8/48), which has developed very thick stems.
The other (8/48) is slightly less vigorous, but not by much. No other plants have shown
this tendency to leaf curl, so I'm going to let these dry out a little more than the others:
DSCN3917a.jpg

This is great. After seeing your posts I'm trying to clone a cutting from a charapita that I've been nursing through the winter. It's been 10 days since rooting hormone, and I still don't see any new growth. The leaves I left on are still alive, though.

Hey, Hombre, that's great : ) As long as it's alive there is still hope. It has to grow a whole new root system, so the leaves are trying to produce food for the roots to grow rather than new green growth. I kept mine out of strong light for 12 days and just moist, not wet, spraying the leaves often. When I put them under the lights, it shook them up pretty good, and I lost a few then at about 15 days. After raising lights and getting them
on more of a plant routine, they perked up by 21 days.
They really began growing noticeably at about 31 days,
and were transplanted into cups at 33 days. Thanks
for the visit, Hombre; good luck with your clone!

Yellow Aji family. Mixed success here. The donor has
grown out to be a strong plant and very healthy. The
small clone in front is the tip, cut on 1/12; I left two
nodes on the stem. The tip has struggled since it
was cut, and I'm not sure yet it will make it. The
clone in the red cup was from a segment of the
remaining stem cut on 2/16. It has finally started to
takeoff after 15-20 days:
DSCN3918a.jpg

The Orange Rocoto:
DSCN3919a.jpg

[quote name='Spankyscolts' timestamp='1332122061' post='590064']
Paul, how long have you been cloning peppers? Have you ever grown em all the way out after cloning? Just wondering what the results were in terms of pods. Also what is your success rate when cloning, if you start 10 clones how many root up? I find this very interesting. I'd love to grow a couple of moms and the clone the bejesus out of em. No more seed trays or heat mats lol
[/quote]

Hey Robin, thanks for stopping by - I know you are busy! This is my first year cloning peppers, but I started cloning oregano and thyme plants way back when, and have dabbled in it off and on, but nothing this serious. I expect them to grow to be fully functional and productive plants, and will do a comparison or two to see how the clone produces compared to the donor. My success rate for this go around was 77%, I think - here's the results:
http://www.thehotpep...945#entry588945
Your idea is intriguing. I had exactly the same thought when I was posting earlier!

NuMex Twilights, 25 days since hooking, germinated in cups.
DSCN3921a.jpg

[quote name='PIC 1' timestamp='1332122579' post='590067']
Cloning, grafting, layering.........all are cool!
Yeah, something to do until plant out time!
What's nice about cloning, you'll very rarely end up with a spindly plant. Most clones stay compact and bushy.
That's good to know. The clones seem to be following that growth habit to this point. Will be fun watching them grow out.
So with 7 wks to go for the outdoor planting, I decided to prune back a dozen plants.
I topped the main branching above the split and the 1st node and stripped off all the old leaves. I've done this before so it's not an experiment.
Since the plants were not overwintered and still mid-stream in growth, the new growth has started back in full force.from every node and leaf cut. That's a way to keep a plant somewhat compact ( such as the large Trinidads or India's) which can normally grow 6+ ft.
Right on, man. Your cut backs are probably exploding with growth. That's a good way to create some bushy monsters!
Opps...........sorry for the ramble..on your glog.
No worries, Greg! You're always welcome here and the mic is always open! come back soon!

Greg
[/quote]

:rofl: Okay Mezo, even though we don't have a concession stand you
are welcome to come on in and bring your own! Glad you could stop
by. Good luck heading into your autumn down there!

Hungarian Hot Wax (6/37). The larger plant is branching and budding:
DSCN3922a.jpg

Explosive Ember (10/46). Branching and Budding like crazy:
DSCN3923a.jpg

Thanks for taking a look; good luck with your own chilepepper grow!

Now that's what i need to be growing as well Paul (Hungarian hot waxes) seems im half Hungarian & my full blown Hungarian cousin is coming down this weekend, its one of them variety's ive always wanted to grow, and your doing them.

Mezo.

Paul i step away from the comp for the weekend and come back and your plants seem to be exploding! That explosive ember is awesome! All that lower growth on the stem is so cool! The Roots on the clones are great! the Roots seem to be branching quit a bit! thats awesome coongrats!

Now that's what i need to be growing as well Paul (Hungarian hot waxes) seems im half Hungarian & my full blown Hungarian cousin is coming down this weekend, its one of them variety's ive always wanted to grow, and your doing them.

Mezo.

Your right, Mezo! You need to honor your heritage : )
If I actually get a pod off these, you can have one!
G'day, broo!

Paul i step away from the comp for the weekend and come back and your plants seem to be exploding! That explosive ember is awesome! All that lower growth on the stem is so cool! The Roots on the clones are great! the Roots seem to be branching quit a bit! thats awesome coongrats!

Hey, 'hunter! Good of ya to drop by. Hope you had a good weekend!
The plants are really hitting a high energy level now; Almost all the baccatums
and annuums have branched at the top and are putting out flowers. I'm cutting
the buds as soon as they get big enough, but the ones on the ember are so tiny
I don't want to cut the plant by accident. Not all the clones had a root ball like
that one, but most were pretty good. Have a good week, buddy...

Thanks for your efforts Paul. I have enjoyed this very much. Going to try some cloning late in the season for overwintering.

Hey, Pr0digal, thanks for visiting. I'm glad you are encouraged to
try some cloning. It will be interesting to see how the late season
growth compares to the seedling growth with respect to cloning.
I hope you will give it a try and post the results!

Paul - quick question...

Why would one clone rather than grow from seed - apart from the challenge? Does it have any advantages?

Paul - quick question...

Why would one clone rather than grow from seed - apart from the challenge? Does it have any advantages?

Hey, Simon. I cloned these because I had two seedlings in one starter cell, and didn't just want to toss the smaller one when I transplanted. So I transplanted them together, then after a while cloned the smaller one just as an experiment to see how the peppers reacted to it. Otherwise it really probably isn't worth the effort, since you can just grow from seed easily. Spankycolts brought up a good point; if you had a super plant you really wanted to propagate, then taking a bunch of clones off of it when overwintering might be a good way to get a number of identical plants with a desirable characteristic. As Pic 1 said, the clones usually grow bushy and compact, maybe that would be a reason to create some clones. In any case, it's good to know how to do it if the need presents itself. Sort of like the grafting experiments several members have going - something I want to try to do just to expand my gardening tool kit!

On the other hand, I now have 17 more healthy plants that would otherwise be in the compost bin!

Hey, have a good week, Simon!

Back