• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Paul, WOW, what a great log you have going. Not only for the great time your having with your plants and the experiments that your doing (Cloning, awesome!) but all the great information that is getting traded back and forth. I had to read through it twice once to see and read everything and a second time to take notes of everything, I will be defiantly be following along.

Keep it growing,
RM

Paul, WOW, what a great log you have going. Not only for the great time your having with your plants and the experiments that your doing (Cloning, awesome!) but all the great information that is getting traded back and forth. I had to read through it twice once to see and read everything and a second time to take notes of everything, I will be defiantly be following along.

Keep it growing,
RM

Hey, RM, thanks for the kind words. You have a high threshold
for pain if you read through all this glogginess twice! I've always
felt the strength of the grow logs is the responses and conversations
that happen there. Thanks for looking in on the craziness! See ya
in your log later!

I'm just here to offset all the greatness going on around here!

Your plants are looking awesome as usual. Every time you update I see a new variety!

You bring it with you, my friend, you bring it with you :D
I wound up with 22 varieties; I actually made it within my
original goal to grow out about 25 varieties. So with no-shows,
and a couple of new additions, I came pretty close. Compared
to what I see around the glogosphere, I have amazing restraint!

Here's a bit of a puzzle. Both of these plants germinated in cells labeled Yellow Aji; the taller one in
9 days, the shorter in 14 days (the same day as a bunch of chinense seeds, but then it just sat there
for a long time with cotys.) The taller is one of the donor stems we've been following.
Okay, so the taller looks like an annuum and the other like a baccatum. It's possible one was a
jumper but I tried to be super careful with labeling and sorting. The early leaves on both are similar,
but now the leaves are very different. My question now is which is which?
DSCN3942a.jpg

The one on the right looks right I think...My aji's are the omnicolors, and the leaf shape resembles the one on the rt. The one on the left doesn't look exactly annuum to me but annuum-ish for sure, the leaf shape shape should be a little more spearhead for true annuum. Is it possible one of your seeds was a cross? That would be my guess...baccatum/annuum cross of some sort.

The one on the right looks right I think...My aji's are the omnicolors, and the leaf shape resembles the one on the rt. The one on the left doesn't look exactly annuum to me but annuum-ish for sure, the leaf shape shape should be a little more spearhead for true annuum. Is it possible one of your seeds was a cross? That would be my guess...baccatum/annuum cross of some sort.

I think you are right, Shane, my Omnicolors look like the one on the right, too. I know the Aji is supposed to be a baccatum. I wonder if cutting the plant back caused it to have the slender leaves? Maybe as it grows out it will get more like the other. I got the seeds from Pepper Gal.

Here's the clone segment from the 'aji' donor stem. It started as a
piece of stem with one pair of nodes. It's growing really great,
really wish I knew what it was, if it's not an aji:
DSCN3948a.jpg

Update on the plants I topped 15 days ago;
Marconi Rosso on the left, Serrano on the right:
DSCN3943a.jpg

One of the Wild Texas Tepins has branched
at the top and is branching out more below.
Also has a bud on it that is too small to see
here:
DSCN3944a.jpg

Those chew marks used to be at the top of
the plant!

This is the Serano donor stem that I had to cut
back again on 3/15 since it became the tallest
plant!
DSCN3946a.jpg

The three baccatum clones; really growing:
DSCN3947a.jpg

As always thanks for looking in. Good luck moving everything outside as Spring warms up!

Here's a bit of a puzzle. Both of these plants germinated in cells labeled Yellow Aji; the taller one in
9 days, the shorter in 14 days (the same day as a bunch of chinense seeds, but then it just sat there
for a long time with cotys.) The taller is one of the donor stems we've been following.
Okay, so the taller looks like an annuum and the other like a baccatum. It's possible one was a
jumper but I tried to be super careful with labeling and sorting. The early leaves on both are similar,
DSCN3942a.jpg

One on the left looks almost like frutescens leaves. My omni colors had similar leaves to the one on the right but as it got older they looked quite a bit different. Initially they looked chinense.

You can never be sure with this spring weather... Yesterday morning we went for a climb. left home 40 degrees.... drove over a pass it was snowing... got on the climb bright sun and around 75 degrees. Gotta love spring time :) never know what your gonna get!

DSCN3942a.jpg

I wouldn't write it off as not being an baccatum just yet. The one on the left still looks similar to some of the baccatums I've seen. I'm used to the leaves tapering to more of an elongated point, but I can sort of see that with some of the leaves. Here's a pic from last year:

IMGP0286.jpg

So maybe, maybe not *shrug.* Mislabels happen. Two of my Cumari ou Passarinho seedlings look very different right now but I'm almost positive I labeled all of my plants correctly this year, so I'll just need to wait and see...

Paul, is the Yellow Aji the same thing as an Aji Amarillo? If so, where did you get the seeds for it from? I need to get some Aji Amarillo and Aji Lemon seeds and would prefer to get them from a source I know is good.

Thanks,
RM

One on the left looks almost like frutescens leaves. My omni colors had similar leaves to the one on the right but as it got older they looked quite a bit different. Initially they looked chinense.

That's what I thought, too - the leaves on the right do look chinense-like.
Guess I'll have to let them both grow out to see what's what! Thanks, Pr0d!

You can never be sure with this spring weather... Yesterday morning we went for a climb. left home 40 degrees.... drove over a pass it was snowing... got on the climb bright sun and around 75 degrees. Gotta love spring time :) never know what your gonna get!

Hey Britt, sounds like Oregon there. Gotta love the mountain weather!
I'm looking out at two inches of snow on the ground right now! A bit
unusual even for crazy Pacific NW weather! Hope your pepps are warm
and happy : ) Thanks for looking in!

I wouldn't write it off as not being an baccatum just yet. The one on the left still looks similar to some of the baccatums I've seen. I'm used to the leaves tapering to more of an elongated point, but I can sort of see that with some of the leaves. Here's a pic from last year:

IMGP0286.jpg

So maybe, maybe not *shrug.* Mislabels happen. Two of my Cumari ou Passarinho seedlings look very different right now but I'm almost positive I labeled all of my plants correctly this year, so I'll just need to wait and see...

Thanks, Sync, that's good to know. I know there can be wide genetic variation even within a particular variety with seed grown plants, so I guess I'm with you - wait and see'. I'm not worried that the seeds were mislabeled, I think Pepper Gal is reputable and careful, and I was anal about labeling and sorting. Thanks for including the pic of your baccatums, that helps a lot. Were those plants omni colors?

Paul, is the Yellow Aji the same thing as an Aji Amarillo? If so, where did you get the seeds for it from? I need to get some Aji Amarillo and Aji Lemon seeds and would prefer to get them from a source I know is good.

Thanks,
RM

Hey, RM! I ordered mine from Pepper Gal. I remember I had
to look around a bit, not everyone had them. I think Yellow Aji
is just the english name for Aji Amarillo, but I don't think it's the
same as Aji Limon. I'm just guessing there. Pepper variety
naming is something of a puzzle to me. Thanks for visiting.

Very nice grow, PG! Your plants look real happy, and I love the thorough documentation!

Hey Gary, thanks for dropping in, and for the kind words.
Good luck with your own grow season!

Thanks, Sync, that's good to know. I know there can be wide genetic variation even within a particular variety with seed grown plants, so I guess I'm with you - wait and see'. I'm not worried that the seeds were mislabeled, I think Pepper Gal is reputable and careful, and I was anal about labeling and sorting. Thanks for including the pic of your baccatums, that helps a lot. Were those plants omni colors?

They were sold to me as Aji Amarillos, but they definitely aren't the large-podded commercial variety I was thinking of when I bought them. Appearance-wise they're something between Aji Amarillo and Aji Habanero (I have yet to grow out either of these, so I can't compare the flavor yet). Heat's pretty mild in the scheme of things but they have a nice flavor and aroma. They ripen from yellow-green to yellow-orange with 2.5 inch pods. I like them, so I'll keep growing them. So far all of the seedlings I have for the plants look more or less identical at the moment.

Mature plants:
IMGP1346.jpg

Pods:
IMGP1378.jpg

I would just call them a small strain of Aji Amarillo, but every Aji Amarillo I've encountered has dark green pods ripening to orange. I'm back to thinking they might be Aji Habaneros, or at least something very similar.

They were sold to me as Aji Amarillos, but they definitely aren't the large-podded commercial variety I was thinking of when I bought them. Appearance-wise they're something between Aji Amarillo and Aji Habanero (I have yet to grow out either of these, so I can't compare the flavor yet). Heat's pretty mild in the scheme of things but they have a nice flavor and aroma. They ripen from yellow-green to yellow-orange with 2.5 inch pods. I like them, so I'll keep growing them. So far all of the seedlings I have for the plants look more or less identical at the moment.

I would just call them a small strain of Aji Amarillo, but every Aji Amarillo I've encountered has dark green pods ripening to orange. I'm back to thinking they might be Aji Habaneros, or at least something very similar.

Great looking plants and pods; will be interesting to compare later to these plants.
Thanks, Sync!

I hauled the plant trays out for inspection and flower pinching,
and noticed looking at this bunch of mostly annuums how evident
the branching and budding were. Almost every plant in the tray
has branched at least once, and some are on their third bifurcation:
DSCN3949a.jpg

Here are a couple of baccatums. They lag the annuums a little in terms of
branching and budding, but are pretty much all heading down that path.

Inca Red Drop (6/54):
DSCN3951a.jpg

OmniColor (6/54), starting to bud, as well:
DSCN3958a.jpg

I'll include the Explosive Ember (10/50) again
a) because it's a trip​
b) it has a weird branching pattern​
c) Andy will love it​
d) all of the above:​
DSCN3954a.jpg

This plant started to branch in the usual way, but only one side took off. Weird.
When I took a closer look today, the side that should have grown out a branch
is growing out at least three instead. This should be another really bushy plant.
Here's a closer look at the triple branch:
DSCN3954b.jpg

d)​

This Cayenne (8/52) is ready to get outside and start growing! The
bug holes are old - haven't seen any since Neem : )
DSCN3955a.jpg

This Poblano (13/47) is another plant that wants to get it on. It also has a weird
branching pattern; one branch points toward the front and the other splits in two
on the back side:
DSCN3957a.jpg

Thanks for taking time to browse. Here's to a great grow season :cheers:

I'll include the Explosive Ember (10/50) again
a) because it's a trip​
b) it has a weird branching pattern​
c) Andy will love it​
d) all of the above:​
DSCN3954a.jpg

This plant started to branch in the usual way, but only one side took off. Weird.
When I took a closer look today, the side that should have grown out a branch
is growing out at least three instead. This should be another really bushy plant.
Here's a closer look at the triple branch:
DSCN3954b.jpg

Thanks for taking time to browse. Here's to a great grow season :cheers:

I'm not going to lie, I enjoyed part of a post inserted because it would please me :clap:

And yeah, it did. Actually, I'm checking this right after watching my Spartans play horribly against Louisville and it picked up my spirits a bit, so thanks. Those bunches of little leaves are crazy. That should really fill out. It makes me look forward to when my Royal Black grows some big leaves. What a healthy looking plant too! Well done.

Just scored a few Explosive Ember seeds myself! My Poblanos are shooting straight up??? I'm excited to see that little Omnicolor start fruiting for you...going to be a really cool plant. Red drop buds to! They're really digging your grow area buddy!!! Great stuff! Feeling a little more charged up as usual after looking at your Glog, Thanks!
Shane

Later: Checked the Aji / Rocoto seeds that I put in the germinator cups on 3/14 :eek: Gasp! Mold :sick:
Two rocotos with white goop on them and black hairs growing on almost all the aji seeds
So, took the seeds out of the cups and soaked them in hydrogen peroxide(1 Tbsp/cup) for 20 minutes,
washed the cups, put in new coffee filters, and started again. Some of the aji seeds looked like a root
tip was pushing out on the seed coat seam. The rocoto seeds no change. Lord knows what I will do
if they germinate. I'm a pepper seed right-to-lifer and will duly put them in starter cells. And then
transplant them. And...

I also started a 3 x 3 starter cell tray of each :doh: in some of my lighter soil mix just for drill :crazy: They're
sitting under a towel on my lights. I'll post a pic tomorrow. I really want to see how they germinate for
next season, etc. Lord knows what I will do if they germinate. I'm a pepper seed right-to-lifer and will
duly put them in starter cells. And then transplant them. And...

I'm not going to lie, I enjoyed part of a post inserted because it would please me :clap: And yeah, it did. Actually, I'm checking this right after watching my Spartans play horribly against Louisville and it picked up my spirits a bit, so thanks. Those bunches of little leaves are crazy. That should really fill out. It makes me look forward to when my Royal Black grows some big leaves. What a healthy looking plant too! Well done.

Thanks, Andy : ) I'm glad it brought a little joy to your life :party:
It is a way cool little plant, for sure. Should just be a crazy compact bush!
The smaller one is starting to branch out as well. They are 50 days from
hooking at this point. Can't wait to see pics of the Royal Black all grown up!

Take care, bud.

Just scored a few Explosive Ember seeds myself! My Poblanos are shooting straight up??? I'm excited to see that little Omnicolor start fruiting for you...going to be a really cool plant. Red drop buds to! They're really digging your grow area buddy!!! Great stuff! Feeling a little more charged up as usual after looking at your Glog, Thanks! Shane

All right! Way to go, Shane. You still have plenty of time to start them for this season, yes? Can't wait to see how they respond to the hand of the master. Explosive Naga Viper graft? The annuums know it's almost grow time! The baccatum buds are a welcome sight, except that I want to get them outside! I have no idea what any of this stuff tastes like or is best for : ) but it is fun watching them grow!

Thanks for your interest, Shane!

haha! I know what you mean.

Rocotos are nice though, I spent some time in Lima, and Pirua Peru, and had Rocoto and Aji with EVERYTHING. It was pretty good.

I don't remember if I've told you this or not, but I brought some seeds home, but they wouldn't germinate (after going through the dryer =x).

Back