• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Like Paul said, once you get the process figured out and have consistent results cloning means you wouldn't have to go to the trouble of isolating in order to produce plants with the characteristics you want once you have a "mother" plant you can clone from. For example it we could clone cuttings from the specific Moruga plant that produced the record setter then you could ensure the follow on plants had identical genetics and isolate however many of those plants you had and produce produce tons more pods/seeds. There is also potential to sell the individual clones. How much would a live plant cloned from the originally tested Butch T or Moruga go for?

Above all else its just fun to watch Paul create something out of nothing!
popcorn2.gif
stolen from above...too funny!
Always fun to stop in here Paul! I am sticking to the grafting for now...I'll probably jump on the grafting bandwagon later in the fall once I figure out which plants I plan to overwinter. Will be interesting to see if there is a difference in success rate with plants that are no longer in their initial growth phase...I bet lower #s. Might have to take the cuttings a little early while there is still some good growth happening.

Shane

Woo Hoo I am the first post on a new page!!!

4th time...20%!

[quote name='stc3248' timestamp='1332183691' post='590389']
Like Paul said, once you get the process figured out and have consistent results cloning means you wouldn't have to go to the trouble of isolating in order to produce plants with the characteristics you want once you have a "mother" plant you can clone from. For example it we could clone cuttings from the specific Moruga plant that produced the record setter then you could ensure the follow on plants had identical genetics and isolate however many of those plants you had and produce produce tons more pods/seeds. There is also potential to sell the individual clones. How much would a live plant cloned from the originally tested Butch T or Moruga go for?
Wow, Shane, there's some food for thought. You have added some excellent points here!
Above all else its just fun to watch Paul create something out of nothing!
popcorn2.gif
stolen from above...too funny!
+1 I have to admit I nabbed it from Mezo's post myself. Very Funny :D However, I am not the one doing the creating here, just a willing pair of hands ;)
Always fun to stop in here Paul! I am sticking to the grafting for now... I'll probably jump on the grafting bandwagon later in the fall once I figure out which plants I plan to overwinter. Will be interesting to see if there is a difference in success rate with plants that are no longer in their initial growth phase...I bet lower #s. Might have to take the cuttings a little early while there is still some good growth happening.
I feel the same way. Will stick to cloning for now, but this fall I'd like to go back to your log and others and try some grafting myself. I think you are right about selecting vigorously growing tips for the cloning process. Also to see how cloning new growth from overwintered plants might work. There are just too many things to try out!

Shane

Woo Hoo I am the first post on a new page!!! I've noticed you there. before! Thanks for dropping in and mostly for contributing, Shane. Hope you are getting some nice CaliSun!

4th time...20%!
[/quote]

Here are the two plants that were topped on 3/6, 13 days ago. It's interesting to see
the different growth habits play out on the donor stems. Marconi Rosso producing
two very robust main stems at the top node, and the Serrano at least 5 branches from
the top several nodes and becoming very bushy:
DSCN3924a.jpg

The Red Habanero slow starter has indeed branched out at 1" tall! It's
hard to see with the leaves in the way, but at the base of the fused leaf
(see the two longitudinal veins and two tips?) there are two distinct growth
tips extending out. Remains to be seen if they really become branches or
chicken out and become leaves. I'm betting branches:
DSCN3925a.jpg

This Chocolate Habanero clone is a good example of how, at 36 days or so, the clones have
become plants in their own right and are starting to exhibit the growth characteristics of their
varieties.
DSCN3926a.jpg

One of the lower branches on the topped Chiltepin
has overtaken the top branches to become the
leader. This should be one dense bush at plant
out time:
DSCN3927a.jpg

In general things are progressing well in in the grow tents. The temps
are ranging from 70-75 under the lights, and it gets down to 58-62 nights.
The plants seemed to have responded well the the CalMag feeding several
days ago, and I have been keeping a closer eye on the watering. I am
noticing more roots peeking out pot bottoms, so it won't be long until there
is some potting up to 1 gallons to do. I'm hoping to be able to wait two weeks
and then move out to the greenhouse. I do have room under the lights for
some 1 gal. pots, but certainly not for all I will have. Also need to mix up
some potting soil. I'm thinking of 1/3 compost which includes some clay,
1/3 peat moss and 1/3 perlite or horticultural pumice (that I can bet in bulk).
I will pot up the strongest plants in each variety first, and then see what's left.
Some of the rest will stay in the small pots as back-ups for a short time.
I need to start thinking about pots for these guys for the final plant out this
summer, and which plants go in which pots. I have pots ranging from 1-18
gallons.

I love freaky nature things like fused leaves and fused flowers etc like on the Red Hab. Other freaky nature things like two headed rodents and webbed toes etc ...not so much! :rofl:

Looking good as always Paul. My Red Hab is going great guns at the moment and is in a tiny pot yet is podding up with some vigour! I wouldn't mind getting some of that vigour into my douglah which is very slow to get going!

I love freaky nature things like fused leaves and fused flowers etc like on the Red Hab. Other freaky nature things like two headed rodents and webbed toes etc ...not so much! :rofl:

Looking good as always Paul. My Red Hab is going great guns at the moment and is in a tiny pot yet is podding up with some vigour! I wouldn't mind getting some of that vigour into my douglah which is very slow to get going!

I'm with you, Tripp! There's a picture of a two headed albino Honduran milk snake in this month's National Geographic, page 18. It looks weird and unnatural, just wrong :snooty: Most of us here in Oregon have webbed toes from all the rain, and the name of the UofO team is The Ducks :D

Yeah, if that little Red Hab continues to grow at the rate it has for the last day or two, it will push the lights up for sure :lol: It is cool to watch so much happen in such a small package!

I'm with you, Tripp! There's a picture of a two headed albino Honduran milk snake in this month's National Geographic, page 18. It looks weird and unnatural, just wrong :snooty: Most of us here in Oregon have webbed toes from all the rain, and the name of the UofO team is The Ducks :D

Yeah, if that little Red Hab continues to grow at the rate it has for the last day or two, it will push the lights up for sure :lol: It is cool to watch so much happen in such a small package!

Where I am from originally (and my family still live)on the West Coast of New Zealand (Taranaki) gets a lot of rain (especially on the north slopes of the Mountain where the average rain is 7 metres a year and maximum has been up to 10.6 metres of rain) Similar to you guys on the Upper West Coast of the US, so I know all about having constant wet feet :D

Where I am from originally (and my family still live)on the West Coast of New Zealand (Taranaki) gets a lot of rain (especially on the north slopes of the Mountain where the average rain is 7 metres a year and maximum has been up to 10.6 metres of rain) Similar to you guys on the Upper West Coast of the US, so I know all about having constant wet feet :D

Dude! We only get like one meter a year here! It just all comes in a short time!
Some areas in on the coast and in Washington get a lot more.

Wow - looking great Paul! I notice that quite a few of your taller plants are getting a bunch of little leaves growing in and making the beginnings of real bushy plants. Nice work.

Wow - looking great Paul! I notice that quite a few of your taller plants are getting a bunch of little leaves growing in and making the beginnings of real bushy plants. Nice work.

Thanks Andy. It's amazing how the plants are all on their schedule,
all the annuums and baccatums branching and budding at relatively
the same time. I can't wait to see them really able to get out and
grow! Have a good week, bud!

Thanks, bro. Hope you guys are drying out and warming up down there!
It looks like we're going to call the last three inches of rain good here for
a few days. We are still basically 40F night 50F day, give or take a degree
or two, for awhile. Inside the grow table environment it's sunny and toasty:
DSCN3932a.jpg

The plants are getting a little crowded but we're good for a couple of weeks more, I think:
DSCN3928a.jpg

How about some chinense for a change?

Chocolate Habanero (8/51)* - poor white balance throws color off, sorry:
DSCN3933a.jpg

*(days to germination / days since hooking)
Chocolate Habanero (14/45):
DSCN3935a.jpg

Congo Trinidad (7/52):
DSCN3934a.jpg

Congo Trinidad (6/53):
DSCN3936a.jpg

,Hey Paul,
Your plants are looking good from "top to bottom".......no problems there.
It's just a waiting game now for the plant-out. And who wants to push the time ahead ,.. anyways.
Spring is here .......we just need those night time temps to stay above 50. My Xmas lights are packed away in the attic....hehe.........sorry Shane

Have you started any other vegee's ?

Greg

,Hey Paul,
Your plants are looking good from "top to bottom".......no problems there.
It's just a waiting game now for the plant-out. And who wants to push the time ahead ,.. anyways.
Spring is here .......we just need those night time temps to stay above 50. My Xmas lights are packed away in the attic....hehe.........sorry Shane

Have you started any other vegee's ?

Greg

Hey Greg, nice of you to drop by. Your grow is looking fundamentally insane good!
+1 waiting game. In the greenhouse it's about 40-44F (39 if it dips to 29 outside) nights
and days from 50's to hi 60's and 70's if there is some sun. Once we get to EO March / April,
I think I can put out a test plant or two. The change in light to more like 12/12 (Hey, tomorrow's
the Spring equinox!) and the lower night temps hopefully in 45 range by then would slow their
growth, I'm sure. I can probably heat the greenhouse to 50 with no real problem in that case.

I have my six tomato plants in the greenhouse in quart pots; they were in the grow tent for awhile.
Also have a few herbs and some spinach that needs to be harvested. Will prep garden beds and
containers next stretch of nice days.

Good luck resisting 'premature put out' syndrome!

looking very green and healthy Paul. Choc Habs are great !!!

Yeah, they get a lot of good press on THP ;) I love their growth habit.
I added another Congo Trinidad to the last post FYI.

Thanks for visiting, Tripp! Your pod pics are tantalizing as usual!

Here are a few more chinense. Two Fatalis that look almost like twins, and two
Red Carribbeans. Growth habits are very evident in these pics.

Fatali (6/53):
DSCN3937a.jpg

Fatali (7/52) some yellowing down low:
DSCN3938a.jpg

Red Caribbean (6/53):
DSCN3939a-1.jpg

Red Caribbean (7/52):
DSCN3940a.jpg

Thanks for looking. More tomorrow! Good luck in your
own gardening endeavors :cheers:

Damm Paul, your plants are perfect, pictures are beyond awesome, what else can I say?.....

EGG FLASH!

Scovie was here.

Carry on....

Man, I crack up every time I run across one of your posts, Jim!
Keep up the good work : )
Thanks for the kind words - you are gettin' a grow going, right?

With the clones transplanted and seemingly off to the races, thought
it would be a good time to see what I've actually got on the table at
this point in time, so compiled a list of the sp. that I have actually growing.
As a side note, have been cutting off flowers like crazy, from a number of
different plants. There are more plants budding as well - more on that
tomorrow.

Plant Inventory:
c. annuum -12 varieties, 31 plants
Long Red Cayenne - 2
Serrano - 3 + 1 clone
Early Jalapeno - 2
Marconi rosso - 3
Bolivian Rainbow - 2 + 2 clones
Chiletpin - 2 + 1 clone
Wild Texas Tepin - 2 + 1 clone
Explosive Ember - 2
Hungarian Hot Wax - 2
Poblano - 2
Black Pearl - 2
NuMex Twilight - 2

c. baccatum - 4 varieties, 14 plants
Inca Red Drop - 2 + 2 clones
Bishop's Crown - 2 + 2 clones
OmniColor - 2 + 1 clone
Yellow Aji - 2 + 1 clone

c. pubescens - 1 variety, 1 plant
Orange Rocoto - 1

c. chinense - 5 varieties, 16 plants
Congo Trinidad - 2 + 1 clone
Chocolate Habanero - 2 + 1 transplant + 1 clone
Red Caribbean - 2 + 2 clones
Fatali - 2 + 2 clones
Red Habanero - 1

Looking good Paul. I want to be transplanting outside in the worst way but winter's not quite done here. The last week has seen the temps in the seventies by day and low fifties at night, but beginning tomorrow the forecast has the temps sliding downhill and possible snow on sunday. I've been preparing my beds for the last week... screening my compost pile, got a load of well-composted horse manure and spading it all in. I've got so many peppers to plant that I'm going to have to break in more ground. I'll rent a roto-tiller this weekend and get another load of manure for the new bed. Cheers

Looking good Paul. I want to be transplanting outside in the worst way but winter's not quite done here. The last week has seen the temps in the seventies by day and low fifties at night, but beginning tomorrow the forecast has the temps sliding downhill and possible snow on sunday. I've been preparing my beds for the last week... screening my compost pile, got a load of well-composted horse manure and spading it all in. I've got so many peppers to plant that I'm going to have to break in more ground. I'll rent a roto-tiller this weekend and get another load of manure for the new bed. Cheers

You've been busy, my friend! We're not quite to that point here yet - still too wet to work in the garden soil. Our nights must be colder than your area, we're just dancing around 40 the last few nights, with another freeze forecast for tomorrow night. Highs just at 50's. I'll just have to get vicarious thrills from your grow log! Take care, Rick!

Those plants sure are lookin nice, I bet ya can;t wait to put them out...

That's the understatement of the season so far, Conrad! I know if I put them out, they will just sit there for month or two and not grow a single cm! Good thing I'm really old, cuz the time passes a little faster for me : ) Good luck with your grow season, man!

Every godamm morning.

And it's still like nothing what y'all have goin on.

All things in their own time, my brother ;)

Back