• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Paul how about Clone Master P the duplicater the root maker, the Scoville Skipper making heat out of nothing at all .. Just spit balling here I hear we're trying to find you a nickname? My brother you are blessed with mad pepper skills and you my friend are genuine .. really good people. It makes my day when you stop by my Glog and I love stopping by here. We will hook up soon I'm
sure of that we just live too damn close.Next year I'm gonna try some cloning myself! Awesome stuff my friend.

Any of those would be better than what people usually call me!
I'm not sure about the mad pepper skills - everything I'm doing
I pretty much copied from others on the forum : ) Thanks,
everybody ; )

Have you recovered from your potting up sessions yet? It's bad enough
transplanting to the small pots; going up to the big boys will be a lot
of work, but I'm up for it! I can even bring my own tools : ) When you
get ready to clone, I have the Rootone! I think I'll be going up to gallons
next week, then out to the green house. The three annuums I put out
there two nights ago seem to be doing okay, but we've had nice days.
Even in cloudy days the radient heat keeps it warmer than outside, so
I may be able to pull it off. One possible benefit may be slowing some
growth just a tad, and the another the full spectrum of dayight on the
plants. I haven't checked the ghouse plants yet, today; next task on the list.

Okay, Robin have a fantastic Sunday. Regards to your wife.

Looking great Paul love those fused leaves I have Chadwick cherry tomato and purple tomatillo this year that I added.

Hey, Fernando! Seems like you always have something new going in!
What exactly is a tomatillo and what do you use them for? I know what
they look like, but have never eaten one to my knowledge.

The fused leaves are getting large on the little Red Hab! I'll grab a pic later
and post it up. Have a nice Sunday afternoon 'Nando - enjoy the sun!

Kinda funny Paul, I always get side track in all the information around your threads....

The same thing happens to me on all the glogs I read, I have so much
stuff banging around in my head I can't remember which glog I saw
something in. The search feature isn't real helpful sometimes! It all
just kind of merges into one big mega-glog!

so screw the senior moment stuff-I just think you can't keep track of it all!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Haha I kind of thought that's what a senior moment is :lol: I just hope it
doesn't become chronic serial senioritis!

Looks like you're going to have your hands full w/ some full- grown plants before long.

That is my hope exactly! Next week into gallon pots or bust!
Thanks for stopping by, Dot!

Hey Paul,

Thought id update you on the cloned broken limbs (seems this is now "the clone thread") :D

Mine have not grown in height at all? not even a few mil? but they are starting to flower now, so im guessing it will be a full sized pod that grows here? its going to look funny sitting on that teeny twig with a big fat Bhut hanging off it & in a drinking cup.

clone1.jpg

clone2.jpg

Next to its parent plant its going to look like a 'Mini Me" Hmmmmm, (pinky in side of mouth)

minimi.png

Mezo.

Hey Mezo, Is that new growth I see at the nodes? Or just left over
from before the accident? If it is, that's very good. The fact that the
plant is doing anything at all is a positive sign. My little clones took
about 30 days to really take hold and start growing noticeably. I don't
remember how long ago you tried to root this, but as long as it it doing
something, I say, yeah!

Thanks for sharing your story on 'clone central', Mezo! Always good
to have you drop in!

Your plants are looking great my clone master Paul. They should have no problems with 41 degree weather. It will only make then stronger in the long run

Happy Gardening

Jamie :cheers:

Your plants are looking great my clone master Paul. They should have no problems with 41 degree weather. It will only make then stronger in the long run

Happy Gardening

Jamie :cheers:

You know, Jamie, I was thinking the same thing. The three I have out there now look like they are making it no problem. I think that by april 1 I will be able to put them all out. That means I can also pot up to 1 gallons. The good thing is they are out of the weather, so it's very tranquil in the greenhouse. It seems like the plants just sort of chill in there.

The way my last two clone attempts look, I don't think "master' quite describes it : ) but thanks anyway!

Some news from the peruvian aji seed germination trial. There are two
definite germinated seeds today, and two more that look like they are
going to pop tomorrow or the next day. So, that means the seeds are
viable! Now to see how the rest do, and if the ones in the soil trays pop
as well (they went in the dirt on 3/22). The cup germinated seeds have
sprouted in 10 and 11 days so far. No action in the rocoto seed cup yet.
I'll post a photo of the aji seeds in a couple of days.

Here's a nice little clone. All in all, the clones are growing vigorously and
should make great pot-ups in a few weeks. This one is a Fatali (7/56) cloned
42 days ago:
DSCN3984a.jpg

Not a clone, but a very tiny transplant with a rootball about the size of a pinhead. Another
late germinator, and slow grower, but gaining traction in the pot-up. Black Pearl (11/52):
DSCN3985a.jpg

Folk seem to like the little Red Habanero! I'm going to start calling it 'The Little Red Hab
That Could' : ) Here's today's look; I think the leaves will extend over the rim of the pot
in a couple of days:
DSCN3986a.jpg

The Marconi Rosso (8/55) and Serrano (6/57) were topped off 19 days ago and continue
to put on lots of healthy new growth; can't wait to pot these up and then put them in the
greenhouse:
DSCN3979a.jpg

This Bishop's Crown was cut back 10 days ago:
DSCN3982a.jpg

The Bolivian Rainbow is not showing the same bottom branching
as the Explosive Embers, but is branching and flowering at the apex:
DSCN3980a.jpg

I think the top leaves on the Yellow Aji are starting to look more
baccatum-like:
DSCN3988a.jpg

The Serrano donor that has been cut back twice (the new growth
on the left stem is 10 days old) is also putting out lots of new growth,
on the cut stem and on the right side, as well:
DSCN3981a.jpg

Here's a group shot of the three donor stems we've been
following; Cayenne and Yellow Aji in back, Serrano in front.
The pots are 4" tall:
DSCN3989a.jpg

I said I'd post a pic of my germinator on top of the grow table lights, so here it is : ) - just a dome top tray for the 3x3 cell packs with a towel on top. Does this qualify as Ghetto?
DSCN3990a.jpg

That was a rhetorical question. Of course it does. Everything I do is ghetto.

:D

Hey, folks, thanks for taking a look. Have a great week and good growing : )

looking great paul!

For root growth on that Pearl, have you considered giving it some fert with a bit higher middle number? The middle number is for root growth, flowers and fruit iirc.

It might help kick the root system into high gear. It might not even need it... (contrasting with the neglected plants on my grow log) I have a tendency to over care... so take my advice with that in mind...

looking great paul!

For root growth on that Pearl, have you considered giving it some fert with a bit higher middle number? The middle number is for root growth, flowers and fruit iirc.

It might help kick the root system into high gear. It might not even need it... (contrasting with the neglected plants on my grow log) I have a tendency to over care... so take my advice with that in mind...

Your wish is my command. The little Black Pearl was a late germinator,
and the second seed in a cell to germinate. It grew very slowly and the
other plant was taking it over, so I teased out a few roots and transplanted
it. I think it has grown a root ball now, and the growth on top is starting
to accelerate. The clone transplants got some Rainbow Mix/Mycos and a
little dry molasses when I transplanted them, so I don't want to hit 'em with
nutes too soon.

Thanks for the visit, GraftMaster! Have a good week!

Hey Paul everything is looking full steam ahead overhear! Even thought the Rainbow is only branching at the top it still looks awesome! what a special plant! Little red hab is still doing its thing! Hey when will you be able to start putting things out in the greenhouse? I know you must still be having some really cold nights there.

Hey Mezo, Is that new growth I see at the nodes? Or just left over
from before the accident? If it is, that's very good.

That`s all new growth Paul, leaves nodes/flowers etc, i clipped everything off the things to promote root growth (as i was advised to do so by a member) and within a couple of weeks new leaves started growing, then nodes & now flowers.

But its not gotten any taller?

Mezo.

Great photos Paul,
Your using the right lighting, the plants look "natural".....and a fine update as usual!
What type of greenhouse do you have?

Greg

Hey Paul everything is looking full steam ahead overhear! Even thought the Rainbow is only branching at the top it still looks awesome! what a special plant! Little red hab is still doing its thing! Hey when will you be able to start putting things out in the greenhouse? I know you must still be having some really cold nights there.

Hey, Britt, thanks for dropping in! I think the Rainbows will be great plants, I'm sure the bottom branches will begin to fill out in time. It is interesting to compare the growth habits of the various varieties, for sure. I have three test annuums out in the greenhouse right now. In the greenhouse the night temps have been in the low 40's with warm afternoons - 75-ish, outside temps about 40 at night, 55 day, so I'm shooting for a full move out and pot up by April 1. Egads! That's only 5 days away! I better mix up some potting soil : )

Take care, bro!

That`s all new growth Paul, leaves nodes/flowers etc, i clipped everything off the things to promote root growth (as i was advised to do so by a member) and within a couple of weeks new leaves started growing, then nodes & now flowers.

But its not gotten any taller?

Mezo.

That sounds great! I wouldn't worry about the height, eventually
some branches are going to want to go up. Maybe you will get a
nice, bushy plant!

Thanks for looking in, Mezo. I'll pay your glog a visit in the next day or two.

Great photos Paul,
Your using the right lighting, the plants look "natural".....and a fine update as usual!
What type of greenhouse do you have?

Greg

Thanks, Greg, I'm just photographing them under some 6500k shop light; sometimes under warmer light depending on which car is in the garage! I'll be glad to start shooting outdoors in real light when I get the plants outside. My greenhouse is really just a hobby kit I bought at Harbor Freight. They still sell them for the same price ($300) the last time I looked. Here's a little blurb about it:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27428-one-stop-gardens-greenhouse-6x8-review/page__hl__%2Bone+%2Bstop+%2Bgardens__fromsearch__1

Thanks for visiting, Master! You grace this humble grow log with your presence : )

Well, rain today after two or three very nice days. The weeds in the yard are assuming monumental
proportions! My lawnmower had a hard time with the grass even at the highest setting! The temps
aren't horrible in general when the wind isn't from the NE. I only say this because I'm starting to
move overwinters (not peppers, unfortunately) out of the greenhouse to make room for my pot-ups
next week, so I've been out in the yard. Here's a pic of the three test peppers, all annuums, I put
out there a three nights ago; they seem to be doing okay, but we've had nice warm days up to 63F,
with greenhouse temps in lower 40's at night, up to 75 day:
DSCN4001a.jpg

On another note, I checked the soil temp in my Aji/Rocoto dirt germination test chamber yesterday
afternoon - 78 degrees. Not perfect, but I think it will do. My cup test is not faring so well - I think
I had them a bit warm and not damp enough. The one nice root on one of the ajis turned brown, and
the others didn't make any movement for the last 24 hours. I put some more water in, and put a layer
or two of paper towel between the cups and the heat source (the top of my T12 light fixture) and will
check again. At least we know the seeds are viable.

Went to grab a couple of bales of peat moss at the store, and
found this stuff next to it. the myco count isn't huge, like the
Rainbow Mix with Mycos, but there are some in it, and 3 cu ft.
cost $14US, and a 5 lb. bag of the Earth Juice product costs $16!
I'll use that for pot-ups only, not for planting out into the big containers.
Also has Bat Guano and Kelp. It's just an amendment, not a potting soil,
so I thought I'd try it in a couple of containers, both peppers and
tomatoes, and see how it works. Directions say work 2"of amendment
into the surface of the soil:
DSCN4006a.jpg

Here's the list of ingredients if anyone is interested. The Earth Juice Rainbow Mix has the same
mycos, and a couple more, at much higher amounts:
DSCN4004b.jpg

edited 3/27: replaced mycos label with whole ingredient label.

Alright Paul it took all morning but I finally made to the last page! WOW! I planted the explosive embers in also, not knowing what it was. Now that I've seen yours I'm not disappointed. Its got nice coloring to it. Keep up the good work man
Aaron

Back