• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

stickman said:
, Dang Paul, pods already?! You've got this grow thing nailed! :party:  Keep 'em green buddy. :)
Yeah, after only five months!  At least I know the plants want to make me some pods!
OCD Chilehead said:
Nice Glog. Love the variety. Another glog to fallow. Those Aero Gardens look like they work great. Kicking myself for not picking one of those up brand new at a thrift shop for $20. The same exact one. Good luck.
That would have been the steal of the century!  The aeros work really well.
I think the main value for me is getting plants off to a good start.  This
one pepper will fill the whole aerogarden, so it's not a good tool for growing out.  
I'm letting this one go just to see what the aerogarden can do.

Thanks for visiting.  Hope you are getting a bit of sun in CO.

Jeff H said:
Pod shots. Hoot!  Yay!

How tall will that Aerogarden go? you'll be out of room soon.
This particular model extends to two feet.  The CCR is an ornamental,
so I'm hoping it will fit with some pinching.  I'm sure it will totally fill the unit!

Penny said:
Amazing pictures and updates Paul...gonna be a great season for you!! :dance: 
Thank you, Penny.  Your tomatoes are a foot tall!

Hey I didn't get any reflector thingamajiggers with my purchase .  :mope:  No but seriously your plants look great even with the crappy weather  :shh: I would love to see your skills in Eviroment more fit for peppers . I know they would be sick. Hey the house next door of me is up for sale Hint Hint  ;) Well it really isn't  :rofl:

romy6 said:
 Hey I didn't get any reflector thingamajiggers with my purchase .  :mope:  No but seriously your plants look great even with the crappy weather  :shh: I would love to see your skills in Eviroment more fit for peppers . I know they would be sick. Hey the house next door of me is up for sale Hint Hint  ;) Well it really isn't  :rofl:  Dude.  I was ready to sell!
Oh, man, what a burn!  I guess they were desperate to move inventory before Christmas   ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, brother.  I would have a hard time dealing with the pests and extreme weather you folk get.  
We just have to resign ourselves to the fact that to grow peppers here, we have to do stuff like this:
_DSC1470a_zpse0700b5d.jpg

and this:
_DSC1473a_zps8c2bf9a1.jpg

My smoker cover does double duty:
_DSC1472a_zpsdcdd6f91.jpg

_DSC1471a_zps55156f00.jpg

The temps and rain are bearable for the peppers, but the cold wind really bothers them,
so these solutions really are more for shelter than 'hot house' growing.The plants really  
need to be out in some sun   :cool:

My hat is off _o/  to you for battling the elements there, and embracing the aerogarden
technology.  Your grows will reach even higher levels now, my friend!   :clap:

Devv said:
Can the light be raised on the Aerogarden?
Yes, Scott, it extends to a 24" height.  That's why I'm hoping
the Chili Costa Rica will fit without too much chopping.

I have raised the light a little already.

Took advantage of a nice day to plant out a few plants.  Romy6 Mystery Cross, JA Red Hab
(Devv), Cheiro Recife (Stickman).  This will be a full sun location, so they should  do just great
here:
_DSC1478a_zps77b43492.jpg

A bit of rain and clouds the next couple of days, and then a little more sun.  Will try to keep
planting out between showers if the dirt isn't too wet.   I'm going to switch from soaker rings
to drippers this season in the zones at this end of the yard. 

The Mystery Cross was 3 1/2 feet tall in the #1 pot!  It's so
tall, it's getting compression curves in the stem   :rofl: :
_DSC1475a_zps0ccdae0c.jpg

Hope everybody's having a good week!

Your plants are some lucky babies, Paul! Great job with the NagaBrain—just beautiful. And I'm so glad you're growing Jamie's Mystery Annuum. It's an wonderful firecracker of a pepper that I've been meaning to start for years….

Keep on doing it PG!

Gary

compmodder26 said:
Daggon Paul, how big is the mystery now? 
That pic was taken just before I transplanted it, so still 3.5 feet.  

Will be fun to see how it develops.

windchicken said:
Your plants are some lucky babies, Paul! Great job with the NagaBrain—just beautiful. And I'm so glad you're growing Jamie's Mystery Annuum. It's an wonderful firecracker of a pepper that I've been meaning to start for years….

Keep on doing it PG!

Gary
Thanks, Gary   :oops:  you are so kind.

I can't wait to get the NagaBrains into their containers;
they have the potential to be awesome plants.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Plants are looking nice there Paul.
Thanks, Jeff.  I'd like to see 'em in some more sun!

OCD Chilehead said:
Pics look good. I love the 3 1/2 foot plant in #1. Week hasn't been bad just glad tomorrow is Friday. Thanks for the update.
Thanks, OCD!  Yeah, the Mystery Cross is the giraffe of this year's grow for sure.
Our weather is trending better.  Just have to be patient for another 24 - 36  hours or so.  

I'm going to try to plant out between showers again tomorrow.  The rain has been light
(.4in. in last 24 hours), so it's not a real problem.  I did manage to get four more in their
containers between showers today.

Giant White Habanero (Sawyer), Giant Not White Habanero 3rd gen., Fatali x Savina 3rd gen., 7 Pot Barrakapore #2, chocolate (GaGrowhead):
_DSC1479a_zpsbb312ba6.jpg

Here's another view.  The tall Mystery Cross is in the background along with a Red Hab and a Cheiro Recife:
_DSC1480a_zpsdec61c37.jpg

Tonight and tomorrow night are supposed to be the lowest temps for the next ten days.  Forecast for 39-43
on Saturday night, then much milder conditions for at least 5-7 days.  I can see plant out happening    :party:  

Dang, already planting out. Making me feel like a slacker! I got excited when I saw the 10 day forecast, and started scheming about when I could get to planting, but then I remembered I still needed to harden the little guys off. Ah well. They'll get in soil soon enough.

All the plants are looking great! That Mystery Cross is shaping up to be a giant!

Yeah baby... Dirt-day cometh! It's all looking stellar Paul. Glad the Cheiro Recife is doing well for you... did you plant any sweet Paprika too? I can't remember.  I'll definitely be planting out tomorrow. I just need to get some rain to hydrate the planting space before I do. Cheers!

PaulG said:
That pic was taken just before I transplanted it, so still 3.5 feet.  

Will be fun to see how it develops.

Camera angle must have me fooled then.  It looks way taller than 3.5 feet in that shot!  Regardless, she's going to be a GIANT!

Stellar job Paul on getting the plants settled...gradually.
I like that approach rather than trying to get most of it done at one time.

I have a few of Goats Weeds growing, some from seeds out of chili's that you sent me and also from my original stock from Fatalii. I'll have to take a comparison photo, my or/seeds are producing shorter bushier plants while the strain you sent me are very tall (1 main stem) with down facing flowers...interesting

Looking at the photos here has encouraged me to get a few plants in the dirt this weekend.
I just have to dig out the "rain gear" first....ha

Back