• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

A little late, but bump.  The Yellow Naga Brain is an impressive pepper.  How are the flavor and heat on that one?

Yeesh! I do believe 25+ pounds of pods... killer output Paul! Beautiful-looking pods as well. From the pics, it looks like they almost all came in at once... did they?

Keep up the good work my friend!

Sawyer said:
A little late, but bump.  The Yellow Naga Brain is an impressive pepper.  How are the flavor and heat on that one?
Thanks, John!  I haven't given it a fair trial yet.  I'll try to get to a sample today.
It was a beautiful plant (taken down today since all pods ripened up).

stickman said:
Yeesh! I do believe 25+ pounds of pods... killer output Paul! Beautiful-looking pods as well. From the pics, it looks like they almost all came in at once... did they?

Keep up the good work my friend!
Thanks, Rick.  I was pretty amazed, but you are right; some of them ripened
up a lot of pods all at once.  I probably have one more decent harvest ahead.

A few awesome Douglahs - Alfanerdz via Stickman:
_DSC2262a_zpsf2d7308f.jpg

Peach Funky "Arkansas" Reapers - Sawyer:
_DSC2263a_zps7b10ffe9.jpg

Ripe for the taking.  Not White Giant Habanero - Spankycolts.  I think it should be called a Cardi Scorpion since that it really what it
looks like:
DSCN0908a_zps8bc95a92.jpg

Nice Trinidad Scorpion - US HotStuff, getting close:
DSCN0911a_zpsc75021d6.jpg

A funny little external pod on the outside of the Douglah:
DSCN0907a_zpsd3ab474f.jpg

Goat's Weed Cross - Stc3248:
DSCN0912a_zpsef215feb.jpg

Goat's Weed and Bird's Eye, HTM ristas:
DSCN0903a_zps8472ce5a.jpg

The Bird's Eye and Goat's Weed pods are very similar.  The GW are a little fatter, and the BE a little more orange:
_DSC2265a_zps10fa6251.jpg

I still have a bunch of dryer and harvest photos.  Thanks for the looks and patience!

Devv said:
Simply awesome Paul!
Thanks, Scott.  I guess I'm pretty pleased for a PNW grow.  I'm discovering which varieties like it here,
and will start focusing on those next season.  Anything with a 7 in the name will be on the list for sure,
and a bunch of medium hot smaller pods.  A few habs and a variety of bhut colors will make the cut as
well.  It will be hard limiting to 30-35 plants, but 50 is too much for my space and energy/time since only
30 are on the drip system.  I will add a couple of new stations next season.

A few harvest and pod pics.

A superior plant.  Definitely on the list for next year:
_DSCN1627a_zps6fac8195.jpg

Forgot to label the red ones.  They are either 7 Pot Burgundy or Primos!
_DSCN1629a_zpse7566cda.jpg

_DSCN1630a_zps7330b28b.jpg

_DSCN1626a_zpsa352268c.jpg

_DSCN1625a_zps526515be.jpg

_DSCN1628a_zpsb057c56e.jpg

A small Charapita harvest.  wish I knew the latin name - difficult to track via google.  Any suggestions?:
_DSCN1632a_zps6cb7da37.jpg

And a small one of Wild Brazil.  Wish I knew the latin names of these, as swell.  Can't seem to find to via google:
_DSCN1633a_zps08445f2c.jpg

Some of these are sun-dried.  I'm not going to do it with these anymore, as it bleaches the pods:
_DSCN2225a_zps5f82d9bb.jpg

Another more ample harvest of the little buggers.  I harvested by knocking the plants around and picking the pods up   :oops: .  You can make
a good comparison of the two when they are in a mass like this.:
_DSCN2226a_zps3343e5ac.jpg

Just one more set of these older pics, then I can process and upload
yesterday's pics, and the thread will be up to date.

What a long-winded project!  thanks for being patient!

Devv said:
Thanks, Scott.  Just got back to the computer.

Just a few pics of pods in the dryer this weekend.

Fatali x Savina - Spankycolts and JA Red Habanero - Devv:
_DSCN2246a_zpse7421fb3.jpg

Clockwise, Yellow Bhuts - Sawyer, Douglahs - Stickman, BrainStrains - Romy6, a couple of
random pods, some NagaBrains, I think  :think: :
_DSCN2247a_zps93e3d9ab.jpg

Yellow Datil - romy6, Sepia Serpent - GaGrowhead, Peach 'Arkansas" Reaper, Reapers:
_DSCN2249a_zpsdea0f786.jpg

Brown Eggs - GaGrowhead, Inca Lost, Charapita - Stc3248, Cheiro Recife - Stickman:
_DSCN2242a_zpsc1d80eb7.jpg

_DSCN2228a_zps93b83f89.jpg

_DSCN2227a_zpsf6e450ee.jpg

? Red, Douglahs, Peach "Arkansas" Reapers
_DSCN2260a_zps9fa786cb.jpg

Okay that does it for catch up.  Now to process and upload the pics from yesterday…

Wow! You've certainly been a busy guy Paul! Glad to see everything looking so good. :)  I take it your Hernia surgery went well and you're feeling more your old self now?

Paul buddy - lost you there for a while. For some reason your glog was not coming up for me on the glog search. I could only see your 2013 glog. Anyway, I have spent an awesome time catching up on your season. Buddy, what amazing season thus far. Amazing selection... super fine grow Paul. You are blessed with some truly amazing chillies this season. Your plants are just loving it... very happy and healthy looking plants. Really incredible job! Wow, wow, wow. You must be very pleased with the season so far :) Ouch on the surgery... I hope you get better soon!

Paul you've certainly been busy in the garden, more than enough heat to keep the family warm through the winter.
What are your plans with the dryed Charapita's ?

MeatHead1313 said:
I've been seriously slacking on glog updates lately. Your pulls look outstanding Paul! Got gifted a few pods of the Bonda/yellow 7 cross from windchicken last night while he was in town. Outstanding pepper! 
Thanks, Chris, we've been fortunate this season.  Cool that you got to see Gary!
The Bonda cross is an awesome plant; Typical big 7 Pot loaded with pods!

stickman said:
Wow! You've certainly been a busy guy Paul! Glad to see everything looking so good. :)  I take it your Hernia surgery went well and you're feeling more your old self now?
You're keeping pretty busy yourself, my friend!  Starting to feel Fall in the air though,
so time to think about  cleaning up the grow and getting ready for a few OWs.

The 'calf implant' as MGold called his hernia surgery went great.  This one was a
regular incision rather than a laparoscopy  so the recovery has been totally different
than the first.  However, I plan to get back to my walking routing today!  Woot!   Thanks
for asking, bro!

Devv said:
I see you're a busy man!

Congrats on the great pulls!
Thanks, Scott.  I think I'm busy because it just takes me longer to do stuff now than it used to  :rofl:

PeriPeri said:
Paul buddy - lost you there for a while. For some reason your glog was not coming up for me on the glog search. I could only see your 2013 glog. Anyway, I have spent an awesome time catching up on your season. Buddy, what amazing season thus far. Amazing selection... super fine grow Paul. You are blessed with some truly amazing chillies this season. Your plants are just loving it... very happy and healthy looking plants. Really incredible job! Wow, wow, wow. You must be very pleased with the season so far :) Ouch on the surgery... I hope you get better soon!
Good to hear from you Lourens!  I have been flying under the radar myself this season.

Forum members sent me some awesome seeds this season, so my grow is really 
thanks to them!  I'm happy with the results; we have had a near record-breaking 
summer this year, lots and lots of sunny hot days to really pack on the pods and
get things ripening up.  I guess you must be gearing up for a new season, now.

PIC 1 said:
Paul you've certainly been busy in the garden, more than enough heat to keep the family warm through the winter.
What are your plans with the dryed Charapita's ?
Hey, Greg!   I didn't really expect this season to produce a bumper crop, but it sure did!

I thought the dried Charapitas would make a nice powder blend with some red super hots.
What are your thoughts?

I've been working my way through the awesome sauces you sent, bro!  We used the
Pizza Spike in the Bloody Marys at the NWCF - perfect!

Okay, now back to processing the latest round of pix!

The latest harvest was the major pull of the season.  Probably another 10 pounds
on the plants waiting to ripen.  Now it's just the race against the Fall weather.

30 pounds of pods.  Photo courtesy my spouse   :cool: :
_DSC2278a_zpsa6266aeb.jpg

_DSC2273a_zpsd0c9849c.jpg

_DSC2271a_zps0467e01d.jpg

_DSC2272a_zps50550c5c.jpg

_DSC2267a_zps09fcb70f.jpg

_DSC2269a_zpsf0fb9a55.jpg

Some nice, chunky Datils and beautiful, red Reapers:
_DSC2268a_zps93c4b802.jpg

_DSC2285a_zps69b03f86.jpg

The chocolates are awesome pods, and some of the TFMs are
starting to show some more bonnet characteristics:
_DSC2284a_zpsf6764695.jpg

NuMex Twiwlight, 3rd year.  Photo by my spouse:
_DSC2275a_zps2897fdb4.jpg

A couple of more sets, and then we are up to date!

lkjbghv  Geez, where did this come from?   :rofl:

ribbedturtleneck said:
Ah, the fruits of your labor. Very nice.

Thanks.  The weather gods were very helpful this season

This 7 cranked out some great pods.  Still more on the plant:
_DSC2296a_zps841ae6b6.jpg

The most awesome pod on the plant:
_DSC2297a_zpsa8723d4a.jpg

_DSC2298a_zps104f5348.jpg

Wow Paul! Impressive!

Seems they all came in during a short period of time, a busy time now!

You look good in the pic too! You're in good shape ;) Must be all that yard and garden work....

Glad the hernia surgery is better, that just can't be fun! Never been though that, but had my Appendix burst 15 years ago. I thought I was having a baby! They do more cutting after a burst and rough you up some cleaning you out. My guess is they roll you on your side and stick a garden hose in there...LOL. I don't bruise, not even after having nose broken twice. But I was bruised after that.

Like Greg said, you have enough for a hot winter there and then some!

Beautiful pull Mr. G!  You've obviously gotten attuned to your local growing conditions to pull off getting ripe pods from all those varieties. Good on ya!

romy6 said:
Well I will give you a bump and patiently wait for pics . You are lucky to get that rhombodium I have had no luck germinating the few seeds I had . 
Not even in the cheater box
Good work paul.. looks like a 40 lbs of victory

Back