• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2015

Okay, time to get the 2015 grow season underway!

Round One seeding 01/01/15, 3 seeds per plug x 2.  Dates are hook dates (as of 2/5/15).

In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 2….…100%
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation…………….……………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 3, 1/12 x 1……………..…84%
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation………..…….…..1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1,1/20 x 1….100%
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 5, 1/11 x 1……………….……..…100%
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation…………………...……………1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 2…….…100%
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation……..1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation………...……….1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/14 x 1, 1/15 x 1…..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation…………………………..1/15 x 1,1/18 x 1…………..……………….33%
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3………………………………………..1/9 x 3, 1/10 x 2, 1/22 x 1………..……...…………100%
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation…………….………….....1/9 x 2, 1/10 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Primo………………………………………...MGold, 2nd génération………………………….1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/14 x 1, 1/28 x 1, 2/5 x 1.…100%
Goronong……………………………………Trippa………………………………………………………..1/7 x 2, 1/8 x 3, 1/11 x 1……….……….100%
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/7 x 1, 1/8 x 3, 1/9 x 2………………...100%
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/8 x 2, 1/9 x 2, 1/10 x1, 1/11 x 1…….100%
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation…………………………………1/11 x 1, 1/17 x 1,1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1………67%

In Aerogarden: 3 seeds per plug except Cabe Gendot, 2 seeds.
Cheiro Recife………………………………Stickman, 2nd generation………………………….……….1/17 x 1, 1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1…………..100%
Lemon Drop………………………………..onefowl1………………………………………………………1/20 x 1……………………………………33%
Cabe Gendot……………………………….Trippa…………………………………………………………1/16 x 1, 1/28 x 1…………….…………100%
Inca Lost……………………………………Peppermania 2012, 2nd generation
Charapita………………………………..…Stc3248, 2nd generation

Plants already underway - top, Aji Amarillo, peruvian market, 3rd generation. Bottom, Orange Manzano, Stc3248, 3rd generation:
_DSC2532a_zpsee89d223.jpg

_DSC2531a_zps1428910a.jpg

turbo said:
Wow!  That is an amazing Fatalii bonchi.  I can't believe how thick its truck is.  How old is it?
Hey, PNW brother!  The Fatali bonchi lived in a 5-gallon pot for the
first three seasons, then last Fall, I pruned it down for bonchi.  My first
try at bonchi, so we'll see how it goes.

romy6 said:
 Great pics and pod born brother . Keep representing for all those west coasters :)
Thanks, my friend.  The PNW is a small but wiry group! 

OCD Chilehead said:
Great looking plants. Hope my Goat turns out half the plant as yours. First time growing it. Amazing bonchi.

Thanks, Chuck;  been lucky so far.  Hoping for a good summer season this year.
Good luck with the Goat's Weed.  It's a winner, indeed.

The 'purple' Goat's Weed is a real beauty; loaded with blunt pods:
_DSC2908a_zps2mokl1xp.jpg

Here's some more purple; the F3 Mystery from Tristen.  I think it's over the
top-breaking-out mishap now:
_DSC2910a_zpsflw8gsqe.jpg

And the Black Pearl; some erect pods, some pendant ones.  The seed came from the one erect pod on the BP OW last Fall:
_DSC2909a_zpsofjesjaf.jpg

Lots of baby pod action - picked a bunch today.

Not giant white Hab and Fatali x Savina:
_DSC2903a_zpsrpehk6fv.jpg

The 'Not':
_DSC2904a_zpsbz8ttypg.jpg

The Fatali x Savina:
_DSC2905a_zpsr32gjgjw.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM:
_DSC2907a_zpshnxat4c4.jpg

Congo Trinidad, yellow:
_DSC2911a_zpsvzd6v0tn.jpg

Chocolate Scotch Bonnets:
_DSC2900a_zpskkmy7dww.jpg

_DSC2901a_zpseehpnper.jpg

Hope everyone out there is well.  Things here are good; can't believe the string of nice days we're having,
and 10 more in the forecast!  Woot   :party:  !  Will post more pix soon, I hope  :cool:

Plants look stunningly healthy and there is a great aesthetic in the way you compose your pictures. Glad you're getting lots of baby pods!

I have probably asked before, but what's your grow mix? I am probably going to try to make some next season as I am a little dubious about long term ocean forest use.

Plants seem to responding well to the ZooDoo now that they have had a chance
to grow out some new roots and get accustomed to their new digs in some great
sunny weather.  The new growth is healthy and robust on almost all of them.  It
will be interesting to see what the summer brings.

Trippa said:
Looking great Paul! That F3 has really taken to the purple parentage this round I see
Hey, Tristen!  You are right, the pics don't do it justice.  It really is a striking
plant now that it has grown out a lot of new branches.  I hope the mature
pods attain the same coloring as the babies; that would be just awesome.

BTW here's a look at the Bird's Eye HTM that sprouted on 3/18.  It took a
while to get going, but now has about 6 main 'trunks' which are growing
fast.  It's in a 15 gallon pot so sky's the limit.  Thanks for these seeds last
season, buddy, the 2nd generation looks good:
_DSC2921a_zpstxb8ysgt.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
Plants look stunningly healthy and there is a great aesthetic in the way you compose your pictures. Glad you're getting lots of baby pods!

I have probably asked before, but what's your grow mix? I am probably going to try to make some next season as I am a little dubious about long term ocean forest use.

Thanks for the nice feedback, Adam!  I try to use a few simple composition 'rules
of thumb' in my photos.  Holdover from college days as a yearbook photographer
and editor, I suppose!

Soil mix:  Equal parts:  compost/recycled potting soil, peat moss or coir, perlite or
horticultural pumice.  Add some bone meal a few weeks before planting, if possible.  
Amend with some steer manure or ZooDoo every season, and add a little mycorhizzae
at planting time.  Water in with Cal-Mag (optional), B-1 and Molasses.  After that a few
light fish feedings, then just MorBloom through the summer as long as the manure and
ZooDoo keep working.

There are tons of baby pods.  I just picked a bunch yesterday - will post pics later.

stickman said:
Nice to see lots of color in your grow Paul, everything looks just stellar!

Thanks, Rick.  I need to get over to your grow log, my friend!

Here are some baby Chili de Agua pods:
_DSC2925a_zpsusrx5rki.jpg

The mature pods should be up to 4" long and 1" in diameter if they are like the pods the seed came from.  Here are some developing mature pods:
_DSC2927a_zpsovzcesdk.jpg

2nd generation Brain Strain, red.  It struggled in the early Spring, and then recently had an attack of
weirdness in the top leaves, but now seems to have worked itself out and is growing apace:
_DSC2922a_zpswxuvyzwi.jpg

Large Orange Thai, finally flowering for real:
_DSC2918a_zpsjywgbkvz.jpg

LOT flower:
_DSC2919a_zpsjx8sjqic.jpg

Pepperoni are ripening up.  Nice crisp, crunchy pod with sweet flavor:
_DSC2924a_zpsk7ojluho.jpg

Will post pics of the harvested baby pods later today.  Have a great weekend, everyone!

All looking great Paul!
What does the B1 do at plant out? (I know I should use Google but sometimes I like to hear it from someone with real experience ... Not lab experience) Is the B1 just a soluble vitamin type?

Trident chilli said:
Fatalii Bonchi is certainly a wonderful looking plant ... great trunk that looks both aged and weathered
Don't know how I missed your post, but thanks for dropping in!

The little Fatali has been through a lot!

Latest baby pod harvest.

Scotch Bonnet, chocolate:
_DSC2933a_zpsnvdsw8he.jpg

Congo Trinidad, yellow:
_DSC2930a_zpso9gvc0oc.jpg

Not giant white habanero:
_DSC2932a_zpsbcfu5w7i.jpg

Cili Goronong:
_DSC2929a_zpsp5qre44p.jpg

Scotch Bonnet, TFM:
_DSC2928a_zpspdjukrlb.jpg

Fatali x Red Savina:
_DSC2931a_zpsqalfiwtb.jpg

JA Red Habanero; Bonda x Yellow 7; Naga Brain, yellow; Roatan Pumpkin Habanero (Honduras):
_DSC2934a_zpsm2sko2au.jpg

Now for another round of tasting!

Trippa said:
All looking great Paul!
What does the B1 do at plant out? (I know I should use Google but sometimes I like to hear it from someone with real experience ... Not lab experience) Is the B1 just a soluble vitamin type?
The B-1 provides some trace minerals that help the plant avoid transplant shock.  
I hardly ever have a plant get droopy after transplanting.

Great looking plants and pods! I get so jealous when I see people harvesting already! 

I have to ask though, a lot of your plants seem to have been stripped of leaves up to the first branching off. Is there a particular reason or doing so?

GA Growhead said:
Glad to see all is good in the PNW!
Mother Nature has been very kind this season, so far, Jason!

The cutting I took from the 7 Pot Barrakapore last Fall is starting
to take off.  It's in a 20 gallon pot with a Roatan Pumpkin.  Should be
interesting.  The Chocolate Bhut and Chocolate Bonnets are looking
great, as well.  Thanks for those seeds last season, brother!  That's
three of the chocolate varieties you sent in second generation!

Hope your grow is going great guns, brother!

Comptine said:
Great looking plants and pods! I get so jealous when I see people harvesting already! 

I have to ask though, a lot of your plants seem to have been stripped of leaves up to the first branching off. Is there a particular reason or doing so?

Your time will come!  We've been really fortunate in the PNW so far this season.

When the old, big leaves start to fade, get bug chewed, and otherwise looking funky, I cut them off.  
I figure they aren't helping the plant that much (only a conjecture), and it let's light and air into
the base of the plant where new growth can emerge.  Sometimes When they start to drop some
of the old leaves, I just go ahead and take them off.

Spicegeist said:
Looking great.  Good to get those runt pods out of the way!

Yeah, brother!  Make room for the real thang!  Can't wait.  The plants are starting
to put out larger pods, so it won't be long until the big ones show up!

Hope you are having a good season, Charles.

My overwinter Carribean red Hab finally started putting out normal size pods. Everything's looking great. Hope it all continues.

gnslngr said:
Podding up with a vengeance! I say that in a very understated manor considering your latitude!
:rofl:   Yeah, buddy, it seems crazy for 45˚!

We've had summer weather the whole month of June, Dave.  
Seems more like July or August.  Will be interesting to see what
the rest of the summer looks like.  We need rain.

Take care, my friend!

Nice baby pod pictures I thought I was the only one

My MoA are a little off but as long as I can get a lbs or 2 from them..shape means nothing

I've harvested all the runs. But keeps on making these small pods.. all seem to be seedless
Looking good. Keep it up Paul. How's the aerogarden. What's cooking
Chris P is an addict and has 6...Nigel I believe has 4 o 5

Back