• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2015

Okay, time to get the 2015 grow season underway!

Round One seeding 01/01/15, 3 seeds per plug x 2.  Dates are hook dates (as of 2/5/15).

In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 2….…100%
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation…………….……………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 3, 1/12 x 1……………..…84%
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation………..…….…..1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1,1/20 x 1….100%
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 5, 1/11 x 1……………….……..…100%
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation…………………...……………1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 2…….…100%
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation……..1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation………...……….1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/14 x 1, 1/15 x 1…..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation…………………………..1/15 x 1,1/18 x 1…………..……………….33%
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3………………………………………..1/9 x 3, 1/10 x 2, 1/22 x 1………..……...…………100%
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation…………….………….....1/9 x 2, 1/10 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Primo………………………………………...MGold, 2nd génération………………………….1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/14 x 1, 1/28 x 1, 2/5 x 1.…100%
Goronong……………………………………Trippa………………………………………………………..1/7 x 2, 1/8 x 3, 1/11 x 1……….……….100%
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/7 x 1, 1/8 x 3, 1/9 x 2………………...100%
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/8 x 2, 1/9 x 2, 1/10 x1, 1/11 x 1…….100%
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation…………………………………1/11 x 1, 1/17 x 1,1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1………67%

In Aerogarden: 3 seeds per plug except Cabe Gendot, 2 seeds.
Cheiro Recife………………………………Stickman, 2nd generation………………………….……….1/17 x 1, 1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1…………..100%
Lemon Drop………………………………..onefowl1………………………………………………………1/20 x 1……………………………………33%
Cabe Gendot……………………………….Trippa…………………………………………………………1/16 x 1, 1/28 x 1…………….…………100%
Inca Lost……………………………………Peppermania 2012, 2nd generation
Charapita………………………………..…Stc3248, 2nd generation

Plants already underway - top, Aji Amarillo, peruvian market, 3rd generation. Bottom, Orange Manzano, Stc3248, 3rd generation:
_DSC2532a_zpsee89d223.jpg

_DSC2531a_zps1428910a.jpg

Pictures look great. Can't wait to see what the Fatalli/Savina pods look like. For some reason I'm fascinated with Fatalii and Fatalii crosses. Beautiful looking Goats. Do the plants in the 18gal pots get root bound by seasons end? Well thanks for sharing. Hope you had a great weekend.

All your plants/pods are looking great Paul.
That lemon drop offspring certainly is very different.. obviously grown near a sweet blocky annuum variety by the provider of the seed last year? Are the flowers Annuum or Baccatumm looking?

That Goronong pod certainly is weird Paul.. how is the heat level on the early pods? They have a solid heat when they are throwing normal sized pods but early season they may be a little down on that aspect? The final pod size will be quite large and fleshy once you get into Summer proper hopefully.

That F3 mystery is certainly showing its purple traits through. Will be interesting to see final pod shape/colour/taste from this generation. Keep on growing Paul!!

OCD Chilehead said:
Pictures look great. Can't wait to see what the Fatalli/Savina pods look like. For some reason I'm fascinated with Fatalii and Fatalii crosses. Beautiful looking Goats. Do the plants in the 18gal pots get root bound by seasons end? Well thanks for sharing. Hope you had a great weekend.
Hey Chuck, thanks my friend.  The Fatali is an awesome pepper.  I need to grow it again.  
The Fatali/Savina cross is a pretty awesome, way hot yellow variety.   If the plant Spankycolts
gave me was an F1 or F2, then this year's would be the F4 or F5, so getting close to true stability.
It may be further along than that.  The original came from Justaguy.  Here are some of last season's
pods ready for the dehydrator:

_DSCN2246a_zpse7421fb3.jpg

The Goat's Weeds are interesting to me, as well.  One has purple flowers and a definite purplish cast
to the dark green leaves in the right light.  I'll get a decent photo of it next nice day.  Cloudy/showery
now.

Trippa said:
All your plants/pods are looking great Paul.
That lemon drop offspring certainly is very different.. obviously grown near a sweet blocky annuum variety by the provider of the seed last year? Are the flowers Annuum or Baccatumm looking?

That Goronong pod certainly is weird Paul.. how is the heat level on the early pods? They have a solid heat when they are throwing normal sized pods but early season they may be a little down on that aspect? The final pod size will be quite large and fleshy once you get into Summer proper hopefully.

That F3 mystery is certainly showing its purple traits through. Will be interesting to see final pod shape/colour/taste from this generation. Keep on growing Paul!!

Thanks, Tristen.  I'll have to ask Jacen about the Lemon Drop.  That's just too weird.  
It has stopped flowering for awhile after transplanting, but I think they were big white
annum looking ones.

The Goronong baby pods have a nice fruity flavor with enough kick to make your
tongue tingle a little bit.   I'm really looking forward to that one.

Here's a shot of the Cabe Gendot.  What a lovely plant:
_DSC2858a_zpscbyozffp.jpg

_DSC2856a_zps0ycj3sfw.jpg

Lots of purple flowers.  I think almost every flower has set a pod so far:
_DSC2857a_zpsdaujrsp4.jpg

_DSC2860a_zpszdao59dt.jpg

Not Giant White Habanero baby pods.  The mature pods should have pronounced stinger tails.
This is a 4th generation of this strain.  Also plant given to me by spankycolts:
_DSC2864a_zps03euxe4i.jpg

Ripening pods on the Mystery volunteer:
_DSC2863a_zps7spz8rjk.jpg

We're in for a cool and cloudy three days, so the plants will get some rest.  
Then back to sunny skies for a while.  I hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

PaulG said:
Hey Chuck, thanks my friend.  The Fatali is an awesome pepper.  I need to grow it again.  
The Fatali/Savina cross is a pretty awesome, way hot yellow variety.   If the plant Spankycolts
gave me was an F1 or F2, then this year's would be the F4 or F5, so getting close to true stability.
It may be further along than that.  The original came from Justaguy.  Here are some of last season's
pods ready for the dehydrator:

_DSCN2246a_zpse7421fb3.jpg

The Goat's Weeds are interesting to me, as well.  One has purple flowers and a definite purplish cast
to the dark green leaves in the right light.  I'll get a decent photo of it next nice day.  Cloudy/showery
now.

Thanks, Tristen.  I'll have to ask Jacen about the Lemon Drop.  That's just too weird.  
It has stopped flowering for awhile after transplanting, but I think they were big white
annum looking ones.

The Goronong baby pods have a nice fruity flavor with enough kick to make your
tongue tingle a little bit.   I'm really looking forward to that one.

Here's a shot of the Cabe Gendot.  What a lovely plant:
_DSC2858a_zpscbyozffp.jpg

_DSC2856a_zps0ycj3sfw.jpg

Lots of purple flowers.  I think almost every flower has set a pod so far:
_DSC2857a_zpsdaujrsp4.jpg

_DSC2860a_zpszdao59dt.jpg

Not Giant White Habanero baby pods.  The mature pods should have pronounced stinger tails.
This is a 4th generation of this strain.  Also plant given to me by spankycolts:
_DSC2864a_zps03euxe4i.jpg

Ripening pods on the Mystery volunteer:
_DSC2863a_zps7spz8rjk.jpg

We're in for a cool and cloudy three days, so the plants will get some rest.  
Then back to sunny skies for a while.  I hope everyone's week is off to a good start!
Awesome looking specimens, Paul. I'm really pulling for your LOT in the Growdown. It would be a nice shot in the arm for the PNWers for you to ice the competition. No pressure! Our weather down here was 80-90F late last week, down to 68F with light rain today, and then moving back up to 94F by this upcoming Saturday. I proclaim Summer will officially be here Sat, with no more cooling trends. We'll see.

Paul, can you identify these pods?  I thought maybe they're white habs, but I've never seen one before.

OCD Chilehead said:
Do the plants in the 18gal pots get root bound by seasons end? Well thanks for sharing.

Sorry I forgot to respond to this, Chuck.  The plants do fill the pot with roots,
but I'm not sure I'd say root bound.  When I dig out the root ball, there are lots
of roots.  I've never emptied out one of the biggies to see what the root ball
looks like at the bottom.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Very nice grow you have going on here Paul! 
Thanks, Chris.  I appreciate the positivity, brother.

Roguejim said:
Awesome looking specimens, Paul. I'm really pulling for your LOT in the Growdown. Thanks for the good vibe, my friend!  I'm afraid I won't be the tallest if what I have seen so far continues.  I need to get out and measure mine!  It would be a nice shot in the arm for the PNWers for you to ice the competition.  No pressure!   Thanks, bud! :rofl:     Our weather down here was 80-90F late last week, down to 68F with light rain today, and then moving back up to 94F by this upcoming Saturday. I proclaim Summer will officially be here Sat, with no more cooling trends. We'll see. I hope you are right, brother!
Paul, can you identify these pods?  I thought maybe they're white habs, but I've never seen one before.

I can't, Jim.  They are too smooth to be like the White Habaneros, both
Giant and Peruvian 'bullets' I've grown.  They have always looked like
habaneros.  That's an interesting one, for sure!

PaulG said:
Sorry I forgot to respond to this, Chuck.  The plants do fill the pot with roots,
but I'm not sure I'd say root bound.  When I dig out the root ball, there are lots
of roots.  I've never emptied out one of the biggies to see what the root ball
looks like at the bottom.

Thanks, Chris.  I appreciate the positivity, brother.

I can't, Jim.  They are too smooth to be like the White Habaneros, both
Giant and Peruvian 'bullets' I've grown.  They have always looked like
habaneros.  That's an interesting one, for sure!
Okay then.  Now I'm not sure when to pick them.    

Just had to catch up, I've been away for a bit!
Wow! You've been really busy, the plants look awesome. Your irrigation system too!
I guess the hard work is done and you can enjoy the plants now :)

PaulS said:
Just had to catch up, I've been away for a bit!
Wow! You've been really busy, the plants look awesome. Your irrigation system too!
I guess the hard work is done and you can enjoy (fret over   ;) ) the plants now :)
Thanks, Paul.  We've had summer weather the past week and forecast calls
for at least 10 days more, so the plants look much better now for having some
real sun.  

Penny said:
Everything is looking great Paul!! ;)

Thanks, Andy.  Sorry I've been such a stranger; the nice weather keeps
me away from the computer dungeon!

I picked a bunch of baby pods yesterday and a few of us sampled them
with some cigars and Margaritas.  Sorry about the cheesy presentation,
but it's all I had time for.  The JA Red Habaneros were the hottest by far,
but most had a little heat and evident differences in flavors.  They portend
well for the Fall harvest if the Summer season is kind:
_DSC2868a_zpsdqrpve3p.jpg

_DSC2869a_zpsusbjgfon.jpg

_DSC2867a_zpsg8qzsmtr.jpg

_DSC2866a_zpsjvmmlree.jpg

_DSC2871a_zpsz9f19op8.jpg

_DSC2870a_zpsmdss2g5v.jpg

_DSC2872a_zpsjn9tcjx4.jpg

_DSC2873a_zpsstcoplqw.jpg

Now I long for the mature pods of Summer and Fall!

Nice to have baby pods to sample before the real burners of the season come in in a few weeks Paul? Shouldn't be too long now!

Aww.... lookit 'em... ;)   At least you know the plants will fruit Paul. :)  Everything here looks like it's in apple-pie order. Cheers!

Trippa said:
Nice to have baby pods to sample before the real burners of the season come in in a few weeks Paul? Shouldn't be too long now!
You are right, Tristen!  I'm hoping for big pods in 6-8 weeks.

stickman said:
Aww.... lookit 'em... ;)   At least you know the plants will fruit Paul. :)  Everything here looks like it's in apple-pie order. Cheers!

Thanks Rick.  Now just to watch and wait!

hottoddy said:
Your plants are looking great for this time of year. I've got lots of "early" pods, but you got me beat!

This is the best start I've had in four seasons.  The las three Junes have been pretty sucky,
but this year rocks so far.

Pulpiteer said:
Looking great Paul! I'm enjoying following that Cabe Gendot. Very cool looking pepper.

Thanks, Andy.  The Cabe is supposed to be a great culinary pepper.  
The plant is loaded with green pods.

maximumcapsicum said:
TFMs look about right. Also looks like you got enough pods there for some fun projects. Keep on growin!

Thanks, Adam.  I gave most of them away, but there are more comin'!

Essegi said:
Sounds like it has been fun!

Indeed, Giancarlo.  A nice taste of what's to come!

The Aji amarillo has colored up a few pods:
_DSC2883a_zps68kn2fzk.jpg

The Fatali bonchi.  If you look close you can see 18 or so little green pods:
_DSC2874a_zps0do4m5az.jpg

Gioat's Weed #1:
_DSC2877a_zps8q1zzsoc.jpg

This one has white flowers and pointy pods:
_DSC2878a_zps7xibbgf1.jpg

Goat's Weed #2.  Much darker green leaves and very purple stems:
_DSC2879a_zps28qwyzck.jpg

The pods are blunter and wider on this plant:
_DSC2880a_zpsfnui0z5s.jpg

And the flowers are tipped with purple:
_DSC2881a_zpsq1cf3lfc.jpg

The Manzanos are flowering nicely:
_DSC2885a_zpsokz0trfj.jpg

_DSC2888a_zpspgdc6hh4.jpg

Even some pods taking shape:
_DSC2887a_zpssnxgtomy.jpg

Trippa said:
Looking great Paul! Have a great tramping weekend away !!
Thanks, Tristen, I'm looking forward to a few days in the mountains!

Expect incoming in a couple of weeks.

Back