• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2015

Okay, time to get the 2015 grow season underway!

Round One seeding 01/01/15, 3 seeds per plug x 2.  Dates are hook dates (as of 2/5/15).

In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 2….…100%
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation…………….……………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 3, 1/12 x 1……………..…84%
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation………..…….…..1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1,1/20 x 1….100%
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 5, 1/11 x 1……………….……..…100%
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation…………………...……………1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 2…….…100%
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation……..1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation………...……….1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/14 x 1, 1/15 x 1…..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation…………………………..1/15 x 1,1/18 x 1…………..……………….33%
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3………………………………………..1/9 x 3, 1/10 x 2, 1/22 x 1………..……...…………100%
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation…………….………….....1/9 x 2, 1/10 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Primo………………………………………...MGold, 2nd génération………………………….1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/14 x 1, 1/28 x 1, 2/5 x 1.…100%
Goronong……………………………………Trippa………………………………………………………..1/7 x 2, 1/8 x 3, 1/11 x 1……….……….100%
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/7 x 1, 1/8 x 3, 1/9 x 2………………...100%
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/8 x 2, 1/9 x 2, 1/10 x1, 1/11 x 1…….100%
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation…………………………………1/11 x 1, 1/17 x 1,1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1………67%

In Aerogarden: 3 seeds per plug except Cabe Gendot, 2 seeds.
Cheiro Recife………………………………Stickman, 2nd generation………………………….……….1/17 x 1, 1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1…………..100%
Lemon Drop………………………………..onefowl1………………………………………………………1/20 x 1……………………………………33%
Cabe Gendot……………………………….Trippa…………………………………………………………1/16 x 1, 1/28 x 1…………….…………100%
Inca Lost……………………………………Peppermania 2012, 2nd generation
Charapita………………………………..…Stc3248, 2nd generation

Plants already underway - top, Aji Amarillo, peruvian market, 3rd generation. Bottom, Orange Manzano, Stc3248, 3rd generation:
_DSC2532a_zpsee89d223.jpg

_DSC2531a_zps1428910a.jpg

Sawyer said:
Playing catch up out of the gate here.  Everything looks great, Paul.  All these great germination stats and green plant shots have me jonesing to get started.  Awesome package from Lourens.
Thanks, John.  It's a long time 'til Spring!  
I'm sure you will surpass us all once you get it up and running.

Yeah, Lourens' package was too awesome!

Good luck this season, brother!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A few OW pics to fill up some cloudspace   :cool:

I haven't made a Bon Chi out of this one, yet.   I think I'll let it grow out another
season, anyway.  I'll transplant it to a large pot if it looks promising in the Spring:
_DSC2584a_zps6d57a0ed.jpg

The Piquin has had a decent Winter, so far.  Some new growth in the
last couple of weeks, including a few green tips down low on the trunk:
_DSC2590a_zpscf0dcd58.jpg

Picked a number of flower buds off the volunteer
c. chacoense during the Winter.  A few more beginning to show:
_DSC2586a_zps895e1abb.jpg

The c. rhomboidium stalk is branching out:
_DSC2585a_zps4761d616.jpg

Nice setup Paul, really diggin the bonchi's expecially the fatalli bon. Maybe one day I will have enough sense to start one. Cant wait to see yours mature. I like the care you give to each plant, see you got them all propped up and supported. NICE!! 

Pinoy83 said:
im loving it......... :dance:  :dance:
Thanks, my friend.  Good to see you hanging around the forum, Jericson!
beerbreath81 said:
Nice setup Paul, really diggin the bonchi's expecially the fatalli bon. Maybe one day I will have enough sense to start one. Cant wait to see yours mature. I like the care you give to each plant, see you got them all propped up and supported. NICE!! 

Thanks, a.  The Fatali did well for three seasons as a regular plant, although the 
third season it wasn't as robust and the pods weren't as good, so
bon chi to order!  The poor Aji Amarillos outgrow their 2-liter pots so
fast.  They really should be potted up.  they get so tall and top heavy
that I have to stake them to keep from breaking a stem moving the
plants around.

Hope things are good in CO!

The Cabe Gendot sprouted the second seed yesterday.
Too bad, I only have room for one plant.

Things are going great guns Paul... I had to read through a bit over 5 pages to get caught up! Boy, the T5 sure seems to have made a big difference for your OW plants, and the seedlings are looking healthy and vigorous. Keep up the good work my friend! :)

OW's are looking good Paul and with they way those babies are coming along you're well set for a great season. Now if that Oregon weather plays along nicely :)

Updated the germination data to reflect new sprouts,
one for the Primo and one for the Cabe Gendot.

Updated Jiffy Plug distribution data.

stickman said:
Things are going great guns Paul... I had to read through a bit over 5 pages to get caught up! Boy, the T5 sure seems to have made a big difference for your OW plants, and the seedlings are looking healthy and vigorous. Keep up the good work my friend! :)

Thanks for the positivity, Rick.  You are absolutely right about the T5HO light.  
I wish I had a 4' x 4 tube fixture for the larger OWs.  It won't be long until
there is not enough room under the small light for all the Ajis and Manzanos!

Glad to see some stirrings around beginning yur grow, buddy.  I hope you'll
slow down your grow log pace so I have a respectable chance of staying caught up   ;)

RocketMan said:
OW's are looking good Paul and with they way those babies are coming along you're well set for a great season. Now if that Oregon weather plays along nicely :)
Thanks, Bill.  You said a mouthful, my friend!  If today is any
indication    :pray:    it will be a stellar season - 50's and sunny!

The Aerogarden seedlings are growing fast.  You can see the brand new Cabe Gendot hook in the center slot:
_DSC2591a_zpsc8e8ec11.jpg

The roots are starting to grow out.  Will be transplanting these into cups very soon, maybe even today.  Lemon Drop:
_DSC2594a_zpseb35e7f2.jpg

Cabe Gendot:
_DSC2593a_zpsee546189.jpg

Cheiro Recife:
_DSC2592a_zps2a3bd778.jpg

This is the little fan I use to promote stocky growth.  I move it to different locations for a while each day:
_DSC2602a_zpsfd2ee71d.jpg

Here's one for ya.  This little JA Red Habanero forked at the cotyledons!
I had one do that a couple of seasons ago, but this one is growing up
to be a much more robust seedling than that one.  This might become an
awesome little plant:
_DSC2595a_zps7475ed20.jpg

The JA Habs are a strong breed for sure, as are the MoA's. I just love the wide leaves the MoA's put out, you don't even have to look at the labels ;)

The AeroGarden is a big plus for you I see.

Keep it green master Paul!

Devv said:
The JA Habs are a strong breed for sure, as are the MoA's. I just love the wide leaves the MoA's put out, you don't even have to look at the labels ;)

The AeroGarden is a big plus for you I see.

Keep it green master Paul!  That's a real compliment coming from Scottie the Magician!
The Aerogarden gets the seedlings off to a great start, that's for sure.

Master Paul?  That's scary.  I'm the guy who sprayed half his grow with 2-4-D two seasons ago   :rofl:

Here are the transplanted Aerogarden seedlings.  From left, Cheiro Recife, Lemon Drop, Cabe Gendot:
_DSC2603a_zps36961e8e.jpg

Today was so beautiful for January 29.  Just couldn't resist this pic of the bonsai pines in the afternoon
sun.  I'm going to replace the blue tubs in the background with 20-gallon (80liter) nursery pots, and put
two smaller type plants in each one.  Scotch Bonnets and stuff like that:
_DSC2606a_zps2a981b89.jpg

The greenhouse temperature hit 81˚F (28˚C) this afternoon.  I wish all the days were
like this.  The bonsai Japanese Black Pine is about 15 years old :
_DSC2607a_zps8335e320.jpg

Man, things look vividly green in your backyard Paul! I'm trying hard not to be envious... we have 3 inches of powder snow over 2inches of icy crust here, and more like to come in the next week.
   Glad to see you like the Chiero Recife enough to plant for another season. :dance:

stickman said:
Man, things look vividly green in your backyard Paul! I'm trying hard not to be envious... we have 3 inches of powder snow over 2inches of icy crust here, and more like to come in the next week.
   Glad to see you like the Chiero Recife enough to plant for another season. :dance:
I've been following the stormy weather back in your neighborhood.  
I saw where some places had 2-3' of snow.  Dang.  Good luck getting
out from under your icy crust.  That can take forever to melt!

I like the Cheiro Recife a lot.  Thanks again for sending those last season.

Looking great Paul!
I've never heard of a Cabe Gendot. I had to just look it up.  Looks very cool! I'll be watching that one, and will expect a full review of the pods! ;)

That forked cotyledon was pretty cool too. 

Pulpiteer said:
Looking great Paul!
I've never heard of a Cabe Gendot. I had to just look it up.  Looks very cool! I'll be watching that one, and will expect a full review of the pods! ;)

That forked cotyledon was pretty cool too. 
Thanks, Andy!

The Cabe Gendot seed came from Tristen.
I hadn't heard of it,either.  I think it came from Jungle Rain.

I hope the little JA Red Habanero lives up to its potential!

Love these pics Paul! I'm always a sucker for a good bonsai. Envious of your OW's. I had to do some conferences and my plants got walloped by aphids. Saved one (2yo) chiero roxa, but had to bag the rest. I'm amazed you can keep your greenhouse pest free.

maximumcapsicum said:
Love these pics Paul! I'm always a sucker for a good bonsai. Envious of your OW's. I had to do some conferences and my plants got walloped by aphids. Saved one (2yo) chiero roxa, but had to bag the rest. I'm amazed you can keep your greenhouse pest free.
Thanks, Adam, glad you enjoy them.  Wish more was happening to photograph!
I'm no bonsai pro, for sure.  These are strictly seat-of-the-pants flying, but it's
fun to mess with them.  The one in the middle actually made a cone last season.  
It's on the tippy-top branch that I didn't cut back last year so I could see what
happens to the cone.

Last winter I had a huge aphid battle, to the extent that I lost a few plants, and
had to prune a few others.  I had too many plants, and had brought in some from
outside that had aphids already, and I didn't know it.  Lesson learned.  This season
I pruned and drenched the few I brought in with Neem.  So far, have been fortunate.  
Have been keeping a sharp eye out for aphids.  We had several bouts of hard freeze
this winter, so pests are minimal right now.  Even the last two nights have seen frost,
so I'm hopeful that will continue!

PaulG said:
Thanks, Adam, glad you enjoy them.  Wish more was happening to photograph!
I'm no bonsai pro, for sure.  These are strictly seat-of-the-pants flying, but it's
fun to mess with them.  The one in the middle actually made a cone last season.  
It's on the tippy-top branch that I didn't cut back last year so I could see what
happens to the cone.

Last winter I had a huge aphid battle, to the extent that I lost a few plants, and
had to prune a few others.  I had too many plants, and had brought in some from
outside that had aphids already, and I didn't know it.  Lesson learned.  This season
I pruned and drenched the few I brought in with Neem.  So far, have been fortunate.  
Have been keeping a sharp eye out for aphids.  We had several bouts of hard freeze
this winter, so pests are minimal right now.  Even the last two nights have seen frost,
so I'm hopeful that will continue!

I know the feeling. At some point in the future I'll invest in bonsai pots and what have you and make it happen for real. I think chinenses can keep going and going, and they get some very gnarly looking bark after a season or two. But yeah, once the aphids show up it all goes out the window. I can fight 'em down but they always come back in greater numbers. This year it got some bad that they started growing wings... they do that when they can tell the plants they're sucking are getting weak. Amazing critters in an awful way.

Anyway I nuked it all and have been hand picking them from the chiero. It's on my windowsill away from the seedlings and proper bonsais.

Need to use neem more liberally. I wonder if compost team would help too... bioactive film and all.

JJJessee said:
Love the bonsai. I'm better with outdoor plants. I'm going to look into what local trees might make a good bonsai.
I'm no expert, but it seems like pines, and some other conifers,
as well as maples make good subjects.
maximumcapsicum said:
Need to use neem more liberally. I wonder if compost team would help too... bioactive film and all.

Couldn't hurt, especially foliar tea spray.
Devv said:
Love the Bonsai Paul!

They sure are fun to grow ;)

Thanks, Scott.  They are the result of 'muddle technique';
sort of fumbling through the process! 

Back