• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2015

Okay, time to get the 2015 grow season underway!

Round One seeding 01/01/15, 3 seeds per plug x 2.  Dates are hook dates (as of 2/5/15).

In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 2….…100%
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation…………….……………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 3, 1/12 x 1……………..…84%
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation………..…….…..1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1,1/20 x 1….100%
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 5, 1/11 x 1……………….……..…100%
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation…………………...……………1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 2…….…100%
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation……..1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation………...……….1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/14 x 1, 1/15 x 1…..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation…………………………..1/15 x 1,1/18 x 1…………..……………….33%
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3………………………………………..1/9 x 3, 1/10 x 2, 1/22 x 1………..……...…………100%
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation…………….………….....1/9 x 2, 1/10 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Primo………………………………………...MGold, 2nd génération………………………….1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/14 x 1, 1/28 x 1, 2/5 x 1.…100%
Goronong……………………………………Trippa………………………………………………………..1/7 x 2, 1/8 x 3, 1/11 x 1……….……….100%
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/7 x 1, 1/8 x 3, 1/9 x 2………………...100%
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/8 x 2, 1/9 x 2, 1/10 x1, 1/11 x 1…….100%
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation…………………………………1/11 x 1, 1/17 x 1,1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1………67%

In Aerogarden: 3 seeds per plug except Cabe Gendot, 2 seeds.
Cheiro Recife………………………………Stickman, 2nd generation………………………….……….1/17 x 1, 1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1…………..100%
Lemon Drop………………………………..onefowl1………………………………………………………1/20 x 1……………………………………33%
Cabe Gendot……………………………….Trippa…………………………………………………………1/16 x 1, 1/28 x 1…………….…………100%
Inca Lost……………………………………Peppermania 2012, 2nd generation
Charapita………………………………..…Stc3248, 2nd generation

Plants already underway - top, Aji Amarillo, peruvian market, 3rd generation. Bottom, Orange Manzano, Stc3248, 3rd generation:
_DSC2532a_zpsee89d223.jpg

_DSC2531a_zps1428910a.jpg

what on earth is cabe gendot!!!
aerogarden for the win.....infestation of aerogarden is spreading out  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
im really envious to your amazing garden.... :fireball:

Pinoy83 said:
what on earth is cabe gendot!!!
aerogarden for the win.....infestation of aerogarden is spreading out  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
im really envious to your amazing garden.... :fireball:
From what I can glean, Cabe is an Indonesian word for chili pepper,
and a Cabe Gendot is a c. pubescens, black seeds and all.  It's
supposed to be a good culinary pepper, and is used a lot in indonesian
cooking - if you google it, you'll see links to all kinds of recipes.

The aerogarden is a marvel for getting plants off to a good start.  I'm going
to try their seed starting tray with my annuums later this month.
The LED Extra version looks like a powerhouse - do I see room for 16 plugs?
Using the little beverage cups is a great idea!

Thanks, Jericson - I always feel the same way about Hawai'i when I see
your grow logs!

PaulG said:
From what I can glean, Cabe is an Indonesian word for chili pepper,
and a Cabe Gendot is a c. pubescens, black seeds and all.  It's
supposed to be a good culinary pepper, and is used a lot in indonesian
cooking - if you google it, you'll see links to all kinds of recipes.

The aerogarden is a marvel for getting plants off to a good start.  I'm going
to try their seed starting tray with my annuums later this month.
The LED Extra version looks like a powerhouse - do I see room for 16 plugs?
Using the little beverage cups is a great idea!

Thanks, Jericson - I always feel the same way about Hawai'i when I see
your grow logs!
yea i got 16plugs on my other aerogarden, by the time they get true set of leaves ill put them in new home outside im not gonna wait for them to grow to harden, ill train them young lol...yea those 2oz plastic shot cups is good for aerogarden so i can put them with the aero babies..
hawaii nice but pests is a killer  :tear:

The grow is really coming along Paul, Looking great. Great season headed your way for sure. Question, the aerogarden, bout how long would you say from seed to transplant do they spend in there? Oh, and love the bonsai's, the one on the left really has that bonsai look.  

Not much new to report.  This is cool; BrainStrain hooks!  These are second generation from a
pod sent by Jamie in 2012.  These went into the Aerogarden on 23 January, so 11 days to hook:
_DSC2608a_zpse2e22ea9.jpg

This is Cappy's fault.

Portuge said:
Ok Im all caught up, nice ow plants Paul.... Love how your Rhomb is growing.

Thanks, James.  The c. rhomboidiom is some plant.  It hit the top of my greenhouse before I trimmed it back.  Several times.

Jeff H said:
Looking good Paul.

You're 81 degree greenhouse has me feeling warm when it is 20 here.

Makes me feel warm, too, Jeff!
Unfortunately that's rare this time of year   :rofl:

Pinoy83 said:
yea i got 16plugs on my other aerogarden, by the time they get true set of leaves ill put them in new home outside im not gonna wait for them to grow to harden, ill train them young lol...yea those 2oz plastic shot cups is good for aerogarden so i can put them with the aero babies..
hawaii nice but pests is a killer  :tear:

That's awesome, brah!  I hope they do very well - school of hard knocks!

I bought some of those 2 oz. cups   :)
:)

beerbreath81 said:
The grow is really coming along Paul, Looking great. Great season headed your way for sure. Question, the aerogarden, bout how long would you say from seed to transplant do they spend in there? Oh, and love the bonsai's, the one on the left really has that bonsai look.  
Thanks, Anthony, I hope that's the case.

The last round of aerogarden seeds went in the germinator on  01 January,
sprouted on 20 Jan., and went into plastic cups on 29 Jan.

That is the oldest of the three bonsais . It got out of hand for a couple of years!

Thanks, Dev!

:rofl: I was checking out the grow shelf just now and noticed another
sprout in one of the Primo cups, so now it's 100% as well.  I guess if
you wait long enough almost all will eventually germinate!

Final germination data here.  

Final Jiffy Plug germination distribution here.

Paul.... did you already buy the starter tray? If not you can make your own... or buy one off on amazon. . Someone is making their own.m I believe it's a 22 or 26 tray and you usrapid rooters..so no need for baskets... ever considered growing them a little bigger ??

Nigel has a flexuosum with tons of flowers in pods. The unfortunate part is he waited too long and cat get it out. ..

As for the aero. I've found i can separate them from the sponges at a young stage with no issues. ..do it all the time

Wow! Took me a while to catch up.
Your outdoor bonsai trees are sweet, good job. I went to Hampton Court flower show last summer, there was a bonsai display there, some of them were hundreds of years old! It was awesome to see, I mentioned bonchi's to him, he was neither impressed or interested, the conversation ended there!

Your plants are doing great congrats :)

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Paul.... did you already buy the starter tray? If not you can make your own... or buy one off on amazon. . Someone is making their own.m I believe it's a 22 or 26 tray and you usrapid rooters..so no need for baskets... ever considered growing them a little bigger ??

Nigel has a flexuosum with tons of flowers in pods. The unfortunate part is he waited too long and cat get it out. ..  Same thing happened to my chili costa rica, bit w/o the pods

As for the aero. I've found i can separate them from the sponges at a young stage with no issues. ..do it all the time
Hey, Denniz!

I have one of their tray units.  The sponges just fit into holes
in the styro - no need for baskets.  I could grow them a little
bigger in the Aerogarden; last year I had some difficulty after
leaving them too long, so I erred on the side of caution this
year!

I know the little starts can be separated, but I wouldn't have
room for the plants if I did separate them all.  I hate putting
three seeds in a plug or sponge, then cuting off two of the
seedlings, but again space is an issue.  I suppose I could just
put two, I guess, but I like having the choice between three to
get the strongest.
PaulS said:
Wow! Took me a while to catch up.  You are a glutton for punishment, Paul!   :rofl: 
Your outdoor bonsai trees are sweet, good job. I went to Hampton Court flower show last summer, there was a bonsai display there, some of them were hundreds of years old! It was awesome to see, I mentioned bonchi's to him, he was neither impressed or interested, the conversation ended there!

Your plants are doing great congrats :)

I can imagine someone who works with hundred year old bonsai
specimens would show disdain for our simple bonchis   ;)

They have a bonsai show at the Western forestry Center here
from time to time.  The specimens are indeed marvelous!  Also.
Weyerhauser Timber co. has a permanent bonsai museum in
Washington, not too far from here.  I love looking at the little trees.

The transplants in the Aerogarden; Cheiro Recife, Cabe Gendot, Lemon Drop:
_DSC2612a_zpse454ec57.jpg

The BrainStrain 7 Pod family.  I may keep the one with three cotyledons in the right hand cell, even
though it's the newest and smallest.  Just not sure if it isn't better to just go with she strongest one:
_DSC2613a_zps2ac3513e.jpg

I've had several 3-coty seedlings, but never remember to follow them on to maturity.  Is there any real difference in later-life performance?

Devv said:
I love seeing the 3 coty plants!  Me too!

Sawyer said:
I've had several 3-coty seedlings, but never remember to follow them on to maturity.  Is there any real difference in later-life performance?
They are cool just because they are not the norm. in my view.

I'm not sure I've ever been able to see any real difference in
the grown plants.  It's not like they all fork into three branches
or something like that.

Those are very orderly 3 coty plants. Normally they look a little ugly before they get their trues going, but those look nice and normal.

Great job Paul! AeroGarden is on my wish list, right after a house and a surrounding organic garden for kitchen/putaway.

Back