• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

PayPal issue

I got an email from PayPal:
"We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time to
work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your
account until the issue is resolved.

We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPal
account. We want to work with you to get your account back to normal as
quickly as possible.

What's the problem?

We want to check with you to make sure that no one has logged in to your
account without your permission.

Please take a moment to change your password and create new security
questions. You should also take a look at your account information and
recent transactions. Make sure that your account information (address,
phone number, etc.) hasn't changed and that you recognize all of your
recent transactions."

When I go to the PayPal website, the first thing it asks for is my full credit card number as a way to prove my identity. I think it seems fishy. Here's what it says at the site:
"We are currently performing regular maintenance of our security measures. Your account has been randomly selected for this maintenance, and you will now be taken through a series of identity verification pages."

And then it asks for my full credit card #. Seems like an odd first step. I've got a number to call in the morning, and I used my wife's computer to get it, just in case. I guess I'm just wondering if any one on here has had this happen...

did you click the link in the email? Never do that.
Or did you just type the paypal.com address into a browser and log in and then it asked for credit card details?

I have had this issue with paypal before. It eventuated with them charging a small fee to my card (which will be refunded). When they charge you, they'll ask you to view your statement and retrieve a confirmation number that's visible on the said debit. Once you put the confirmation number into paypal, the charge is refunded and your account activated.
Im confident its all above board BUT If your suspicious about it, give them a call as I don't want to be responsible for you being phised! Lol

Emu, i received the same email about a week or so ago.

It came in as a "spam detected" email.

I read it and thought it seemed suspicious as well and deleted it.

Then i went to my PayPal account via the official site.

Everything was normal with my account and i have even used it for a couple of purchaes since then.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those scams going around trying to get user's personal info.

If you can check into your PayPal account via the official PayPal link, you'll probably find that everyting is in order.

And good to hear that you didn't give them any of your financial info.

dvg

I should note then:
I didn't receive an email at all. I got this notification when signing in to paypal. Do what the others said and sign into paypal directly, and see what happens.

I have had this issue with paypal before. It eventuated with them charging a small fee to my card (which will be refunded). When they charge you, they'll ask you to view your statement and retrieve a confirmation number that's visible on the said debit. Once you put the confirmation number into paypal, the charge is refunded and you account activated.
Im confident its all above board BUT If your suspicious about it, give them a call as I don't want to be responsible for you being phised! Lol

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't follow a link from an email, I at least know not to do that :) I've confirmed my card already, so I'm not sure what is up. I figure it is worth a call at least!

If it looks like poop and smells like poop, it's poop.

Paypal is not in the business of being a pain in your butt asking stupid questions. If the account worked once, it still works.

If it looks like poop and smells like poop, it's poop.

Paypal is not in the business of being a pain in your butt asking stupid questions. If the account worked once, it still works.

They actually have your safety in mind..
If your account has had attempted logins, and is thus locked. They are right to use this method of security as only you have access to your statements from which the code is retrieved. It's a good thing.

This is an old scam. If you click the link and check the address bar you will see a redirect to a site other than paypal.

Report the creeps to Paypal... though they probably already know about it.

If it is a scam, it is a scam based on a security system paypal does have in place.

EDIT: It does sound very suspicious, I must admit to missing the part where you said paypal advised you "Your account has been randomly selected for this maintenance, and you will now be taken through a series of identity verification pages"... As I said, I have had to confirm my card number in the case of attempts at access (or "issues with account") but not the latter. Definitely give them a call I guess, but I'd be very strange if you went to the page manually as you said, and got scammed.

I'd ALWAYS be suspicious anytime I'm asked for my credit card info for a transaction I did not initiate.

ITS A SCAM. I got the same thing i fowarded it to pay pal security. (my wife did i didnt know how) , they never got back to me. But its 100 % Baloney

"If it looks like poop and smells like poop, it's poop."

Well put! I just got off the phone with them, and I got it all worked out. Once I finally got to talk to a real person we got through it quickly. Getting to talk to that person though was a workout!

Glad you got it worked out with your bank balance unscathed. :)
I was getting worried there that I'd steered you in the wrong direction!

Glad you got it worked out with your bank balance unscathed. :)
I was getting worried there that I'd steered you in the wrong direction!

No harm, no foul! I'm still not entirely sure what initiated all of this. Evidently they thought something I was doing was suspicious, so they locked it down. Everything is up and running now so all is well!

No harm, no foul! I'm still not entirely sure what initiated all of this. Evidently they thought something I was doing was suspicious, so they locked it down. Everything is up and running now so all is well!
whoa, did you call paypal or did you contact the email paypal? the email paypal is probably a fraud.

I get these all the time in my junk folder. They are always phishing scams (many different). If you are unsure just type the (email)address into google and you will see scam reports about it.

Mike

Back