• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Penny's Glog....sort of :)

Hey everyone,

I've been posting away in other people's Glogs, and I thought it was time to show off my gardens, so its not really so much of a Glog as it is pics....if this is in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it to the appropriate spot Mods...

HillBilly Jeff said:
If you start them too early and they get tall you can plant them deep and you will have a massive root base.  I will start mine in March for Mid-Late May plant out.

Penny said:
That's exactly what I do, and will do this time, is plant them all deep. :dance:

Devv said:
ANd the list keeps growing!

I see we all have the same addiction too!

I started my maters seeds almost 90 day before normal plant out, and as Jeff said bury them deep. I like to use a 45° angle and leave less then 6"s sticking out of the dirt.

Does planting your tomatoes deep help them stay standing upright better by mid-late season? I cannot for the life of me seem to keep those things vertical! And I'm not a huge fan of cages, so this might be a trick I try this year!

Hi Nick.....tomatoes LOVE to be planted deep into the soil. Some tomatoes are more prone to droop over then others, not sure what kind you are growing, but staking them is a good idea. If your not a fan of the cages, when you plant your tomatoes, are you next to a fence at all? I had an old neighbor who refused to spend money on tomato cages, and he would take some old twine, and loosely tie the plants off to the fence, in various sections. Not the prettiest but it solved the problem of his cages.

Your plants are really coming along Penny!

Good job!

HillBilly Jeff said:
I prefer to use woven wire fencing as my cages instead of those store bought cages.  Taller and a lot more room.  Just my .02
Jeff, they are better, mine usually grow out of the cage and back down to the ground, sometimes they get so fruit laden they fall over.

Nick, the planting deep is about more roots, If you bury deeply the buried stem puts on more roots...and not just a few. The 45° angle allows for covering the potted part, the rest just increases the area.

Penny said:
Hi Nick.....tomatoes LOVE to be planted deep into the soil. Some tomatoes are more prone to droop over then others, not sure what kind you are growing, but staking them is a good idea. If your not a fan of the cages, when you plant your tomatoes, are you next to a fence at all? I had an old neighbor who refused to spend money on tomato cages, and he would take some old twine, and loosely tie the plants off to the fence, in various sections. Not the prettiest but it solved the problem of his cages.

HillBilly Jeff said:
I prefer to use woven wire fencing as my cages instead of those store bought cages.  Taller and a lot more room.  Just my .02

Devv said:
Your plants are really coming along Penny!

Good job!

Jeff, they are better, mine usually grow out of the cage and back down to the ground, sometimes they get so fruit laden they fall over.

Nick, the planting deep is about more roots, If you bury deeply the buried stem puts on more roots...and not just a few. The 45° angle allows for covering the potted part, the rest just increases the area.

Penny, I'm not exactly sure where my toms will be this year, possible getting a new place with more space so we'll see! As far as varieties go, I'm up for anything but usually have some interesting heirloom varieties, and a few types of cherrys as well. Im all about the wird old school, delicious varieties only gardeners have ever seen :) I staked last year with bamboo, ony to find out that want nearly substantial enough! I might try to string train if I get the time.

Jeff, I'm assuming you mean like cattle-wire type fencing? Obviously not chicken or anything that small? I'll have to look into that!

Devv, so do you just take off any leaves below that point? Or do they just get planted under?

Thanks for all the input everyone! One last question... do you all sucker, or just let it bush out?

was going to say wow your pepper plants grew fast! oh those are tomatoes lol

looking good, i'm about to separate out some seedlings too.

HillBilly Jeff said:

Oh no hit the positivity quota! Welcome to snow days...

Do you just buy the woven wire? Is it cheaper that way?

Sorry for the hijack! Got to plan my maters as well! Almost time to start them.

Nick08* said:

Penny, I'm not exactly sure where my toms will be this year, possible getting a new place with more space so we'll see! As far as varieties go, I'm up for anything but usually have some interesting heirloom varieties, and a few types of cherrys as well. Im all about the wird old school, delicious varieties only gardeners have ever seen :) I staked last year with bamboo, ony to find out that want nearly substantial enough! I might try to string train if I get the time.

Jeff, I'm assuming you mean like cattle-wire type fencing? Obviously not chicken or anything that small? I'll have to look into that!

Devv, so do you just take off any leaves below that point? Or do they just get planted under?

Thanks for all the input everyone! One last question... do you all sucker, or just let it bush out?

maximumcapsicum said:

Oh no hit the positivity quota! Welcome to snow days...

Do you just buy the woven wire? Is it cheaper that way?

Sorry for the hijack! Got to plan my maters as well! Almost time to start them.

Yes the cattle fencing, but most cattle farmers around here just run a few strands of barb any more.  Growing up on the farm I have a lot of rolls of old woven wire fence hanging around.  Most is 36-39 inches tall.  One thing I need to do is to put some padding on the top so it doesn't put such a strain on the stem when it grows over the top and hangs down with the burden of the fruit.  Thinking about cutting swimming pool noodle foam for it.  Might be cheaper than the hot water pipe insulation, but I haven't researched pricing yet.

Those tomatoes are growing with wild abandon, Penny.
Hope the peppers don't get jealous.
We can't set out safely until mid-May and and even into June is OK since we have a long-ish season.
I may try a few earlier, but I going to try and hold off on the bulk of the sow until mid-April.
I've used woven wire cages and and they are probably better than anything I've tried. I'm thinking about tying them to a stretched brace wire trellis this year. 
Tomatoes are heavy when loaded with fruit. I'm guilty of "that'll hold it" and it does -for about 2 months. Then I resort to the sprawling method :D

Hahaha...I like that, the sprawling method ;)  If you are ever in need of any tomato seeds, just let me know. :dance: I took a peek at your list, and you've got some good tomatoes on there, are those the ones for this years planting?

JJJessee said:
Those tomatoes are growing with wild abandon, Penny.
Hope the peppers don't get jealous.
We can't set out safely until mid-May and and even into June is OK since we have a long-ish season.
I may try a few earlier, but I going to try and hold off on the bulk of the sow until mid-April.
I've used woven wire cages and and they are probably better than anything I've tried. I'm thinking about tying them to a stretched brace wire trellis this year. 
Tomatoes are heavy when loaded with fruit. I'm guilty of "that'll hold it" and it does -for about 2 months. Then I resort to the sprawling method :D

A piece of rebar cut at about 48 inches will hold cages against a pretty strong wind.  Of course if you don't have access to it, it might be costly.

Seedlings are looking good ... Would love some space to grow some more veges like tomatoes ... I will for now have to live vicariously through glogs like yours :D

Back