• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

People in Seattle shouldn't drive in winter...

QuadShotz

Banned
Absolutly insane. :shocked:
I mean, jeeez...I drove all through Icestorm '96 here in WA and never even got stuck. Idiot SUV ppl...

We had an freak heavy snow in the middle of the day a few years back, and everyone was trying to get out of the city at once. First one we'd had in some years, and the SUV drivers who hadn't driven in snow before seemed to think that "4 wheel drive" meant the laws of physics didn't apply to them.

Yeppers...ppl think it's like magic and forget the laws of physics.

A body in motion....etc.

4-wheel-drive doesn't help if those wheels happen to not have any traction. ;)

DickT said:
It stimulates the economy.........

Thats old news. What you can't see is how steep that hill is. Regular tires on super slick streets and on a hill no less....their driving skills aren't in question but rather the decision to attempt to drive after witnessing the first cat crash. DOH!!

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Thats old news. What you can't see is how steep that hill is. Regular tires on super slick streets and on a hill no less....their driving skills aren't in question but rather the decision to attempt to drive after witnessing the first cat crash. DOH!!

Cheers, TB.

When the body shops would get busy because of snow wrecks I used to sell a lot of tools to body shops.. I used to hear ching ching when snow flakes hit the ground.

I watched the vid and read the comments. I need to say that I live on a hill (mountain really) and we only get snow a few times a year here. We have many idiots who try to drive in the snow on summer tires - a mercedes B class ust hit the tree in front of my house the other day. So it's not just americans that can't drive in the snow.

Of course, I didn't see anyone hit their gas 10 times and smash into a dozen objects though... lol that was awesome.

I live about 3 - 4 hours from Seattle.

Pam said:
We had an freak heavy snow in the middle of the day a few years back, and everyone was trying to get out of the city at once. First one we'd had in some years, and the SUV drivers who hadn't driven in snow before seemed to think that "4 wheel drive" meant the laws of physics didn't apply to them.

We get quite a bit of snow up here, and I even see that with the 4x4's up here. When you start spinning that just two other wheels without control. I like a 4x4 for going down two tracks in the woods, or getting unstuck off of the side of the road when you're hunting, but I honestly trust only using the rear two tires in the snow more. It's easier to predict what you're vehicles doing in the snow and you can correct it easier. Physics are still physics I agree and whenever you are hitting the brakes a 4 wheel drive means nothing.
BTW, I'm odd, but I actually like driving in the snow. Kind of fun.

lostmind said:
I watched the vid and read the comments. I need to say that I live on a hill (mountain really) and we only get snow a few times a year here. We have many idiots who try to drive in the snow on summer tires - a mercedes B class ust hit the tree in front of my house the other day. So it's not just americans that can't drive in the snow.

Of course, I didn't see anyone hit their gas 10 times and smash into a dozen objects though... lol that was awesome.

I live about 3 - 4 hours from Seattle.
I've been driving all winter with bald rear tires. HOWEVER, I don't live where it's hilly. If that was the case I don't think I would get away with it well. It's already affecting my take-off in the snow, but I just take off in second gear then shift early into third. If I lived where it was hilly with snow though that would definitely not be the greatest combination. A 4x4 would actually be something I would use in that situation too. Just for better grip going up.

Back