vendor Pepper Joe

I ordered my first season's seeds from pepper joe a while back. He has a small selection that he grows out each year. He will send you seeds in little coin envelopes and always sends some free varieties with each order. I had excellent germination rates from all of his seed with the exception of one variety that I ordered. Considering how it was my first season and I was germinating OUTDOORS in soil (dumb dumb dumb) I was very pleased with the germ rates and I assume most of my problem seed was due to poor growing skills in my first season. I also germinated two more of his seeds the next season that had been stored in a drawer for a year, and both germinated.

I will say that he has a higher rate of hybrids than most growers. I'm not sure how he isolates his plants if at all but I've gotten hybrids from him. I also reallllly wish he would post more pictures of his pods because it's really hard to tell what you're going to get. My Bhut Jolokia seeds that I got from him didn't get a chance to fruit the first year, but the second year the plant I grew out ended up not being a true Bhut. I'm not sure if it was a hybrid or what, because it had a pointed shape that looks like a lot of the smaller bhuts I see on the web and definitely had C. chinenses genetics, but it was nothing like the large, wrinkled, superhots you see coming out of the NMCPI. Also probably around hab heat or slightly above, not superhot. I'll post pics on request.

Overall I'd say he's a good source for novice growers but I wouldn't recommend him if you're trying to get superhots and such. There are more reputable sources out there. Overall probably a C+/B-

HotJohn9,
We do grow many of our own seeds.
I just hired on 7 more growers too. They grow under our strict, organic standards and seed saving specifications.
They are in Hawaii, Florida, North Carolina, and Georgia....and I'm talking to a few more folks from THP.
When we were a smaller company we grew them all...but our sales have been explosive.
My main goal is to provide top quality seeds...but also NOT to be out of stock on a variety.
With the exception of the Giant Ghost pepper one year, we've managed to accomplish that goal by working with other top quality growers.
I hate when I go to a site and waste my time because of so many out of stock items.
Judy at pepperlover.com is absolutely fantastic! I'm a big fan of hers and am amazed at her customer service reports.
Actually, I've bought some seeds from Judy when I was close to running out and in a pinch.
I can't say this for sure...I'll have to check...but I wouldn't be surprised if Judy also purchases some seeds. When I checked with her last she referred me to a Seed company that we already were dealing with...so I assumed she purchased from them too. Anyway, I just dropped her an email to find out for sure and I can post the answer here.

Here's a pic of part of our seed saving operation.
We use Fresh air and plenty of sunshine to dry our seeds. We do it all by hand....no machines, chemicals, GMO's or pesticides involved with our processes.
desse1.jpg

deseed2.jpg

Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe
:dance: :P :dance: :P :dance: :P

Wanted to share a pic of my progress. its completely low tech since the flood/fire, but the seeds I ended up starting indoors afterwards are taking off. They're in a cardboard box lined with foil, with a cheapo light doing all it can to help them out. Given the circumstances, I couldn't be happier with your seeds. the plants I've already potted/moved outside are doing amazing, as well. I'll try to post pics of them soon. Sorry for the poor quality of this one; taken with my phone.

522719_10100234211714847_20603568_42863589_1028059805_n.jpg

I've been very pleased with how this second batch of starts has come up. I'll be transplanting into solo cups over the course of this week. Still probably 3-4 weeks away from being ready to move them outdoors.

[sup]Joe, so far so good with my germination rates and all the plants are huge, 4-6 inches taller then the rest of my plants. Cannot wait for some peppers. I will post photos soon. [/sup]

Best bet, for sure buy is going with Pepperlover.com. Do not buy seeds from someone who purchases their seeds from someone else.

Your buying seeds that did really well and seems like your happy, then in the same sense your mad>>???

Joe, Is a good guy that sells good seed, so I dont see where you can be unhappy with him.

I'm a fan of pepperlover, but also Pepper Joe. Pepper Joe's seed quality is great, good customer service, and deliveries are prompt. He also carries varieties you don't see elsewhere. I don't think many venders grow all their own seeds. That would be very difficult. As long as they have reliable growers they buy from everything is fine.

I just bought yellow Bhuts and those white peppers Caloros from Pepper Joe. I hope they turn out to be what they are supposed to, I got ripped off last year from a local nursery so I'm now skeptical of where I buy.

Hi Branj70....
THANKS for being a customer.
I guarantee your personally you will be happy with your Yellow Bhut Jolokias and your Caloros that your purchased from Pepper Joe's.
Keep us posted on your germiantion %'s and growing successes.
Our philosophy is that we don't just take your money and run....but we stay with you throughout every step of the growing process.
Please join my Facebook page and join our Free Newsletter.
You can find both website addresses on my website homepage.
If you need any personal advice email me at pepperjoe@sc.rr.com
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe

I got all my seeds from pepper joe, good germination rate and great customer service for sure, plants look good so far, ill let you guys know about the peppers later in the future :)

Green_Thumb,
Thanks for the updates and positive input.
Keep us posted and would love to see some pics.
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe
I've moved 8 plants so far into 5-7 gallon pots. will be moving about 30 more in the next couple weeks and will get some pictures to update. VERY happy with this year's order.

Hi Scratchzilla....I'm thrilled with your sucess with most varieties and THANKS for saying you'd order again.
Let's talk about the Ghost Peppers. only 2 sprouted....did you plant all 10 seeds? If not, they can be finicky....try planting some of the remaining seeds. If you did plant all 10 seeds, email me at pepperjoe@sc.rr.com. and I'll replace them. We need to do better than 2 our of 10 germination.
Fiery REgards, Pepper Joe

Yeah I did plant all 10, but there is really no need to replace anything. This is my first time growing super hots from seed, and I'm pretty sure a lot of my trouble was just errors related to inexperience. Thanks for the offer though.

I've come to the conclusion that you pepper dealers are among the best people in the world when it comes to customer service. I spoke to Mark at Bhut-Jolokia.net about an order I placed that was many days late, and he realized it hadn't been shipped. So he gave me a personal guarantee it would go out that day, bumped me up to priority shipping free of charge, and threw some freebies in with the order. Then when I told him I was making ghost chili infused marshmallow s'mores for a beer dinner at my restaurant with his product, he made me promise to call him back next week to let him know how things worked out. Really nice guy, who also will be getting my business again.

I have been buying my seeds exclusively from Pepper Joes for the past 4-5 years and always have excellent germination rates.
I did order some Chili Tepin seeds this year though and even after 3-4 weeks in my propagator with a seedling heat mat I had no germination.
Maybe I have to wait longer as according to the Redwood City Seed Company's website these peppers can take up to 100 days to germinate sometimes.
That sounds odd to me to have to wait that long for them to germinate.

I have been buying my seeds exclusively from Pepper Joes for the past 4-5 years and always have excellent germination rates.
I did order some Chili Tepin seeds this year though and even after 3-4 weeks in my propagator with a seedling heat mat I had no germination.
Maybe I have to wait longer as according to the Redwood City Seed Company's website these peppers can take up to 100 days to germinate sometimes.
That sounds odd to me to have to wait that long for them to germinate.
Joe's a stand up guy, and if you DID have some problems with seeds I'm sure he would replace them. I've had outstanding luck with his seeds this year; will be potting up the last of my starts to 5-7 gallon containers this weekend.

I had really,really good germ rates and all plants are healthy. The Giant Bhuts and Scotch Bonnets are beasts, same with the Anaheims. Thanks for the good seeds Joe. Here's a pic for the hell of it.

Giant Bhut
20120501_193251.jpg

Scotch Bonnet
20120501_193537.jpg

Hi MotaMike,
Give those Chili Tepin seeds another week to germinate...then contact me DIRECT at pepperjoe@sc.rr.com If for some reason they didn't germinate (customers are reporting 80%+ germination on the Chili Tepin....but it's YOUR germination that is important to YOU) I'll gladly replace them, no questions asked.

Jamisom,
Those pics are awesome of the Giant Bhut Jolokia and Scotch Bonnets.
The leaves are as big as tennis balls....even though it's a younger plant. And that dark green, lush and healthy color almost guarantees you that they are nutritionally healthy and will produce well.
Thanks for the update bud....and keep us posted. Pics are great.
We'll stay with you guys every step of the way.
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe

Back