vendor Pepper Joe

I ordered my first season's seeds from pepper joe a while back. He has a small selection that he grows out each year. He will send you seeds in little coin envelopes and always sends some free varieties with each order. I had excellent germination rates from all of his seed with the exception of one variety that I ordered. Considering how it was my first season and I was germinating OUTDOORS in soil (dumb dumb dumb) I was very pleased with the germ rates and I assume most of my problem seed was due to poor growing skills in my first season. I also germinated two more of his seeds the next season that had been stored in a drawer for a year, and both germinated.

I will say that he has a higher rate of hybrids than most growers. I'm not sure how he isolates his plants if at all but I've gotten hybrids from him. I also reallllly wish he would post more pictures of his pods because it's really hard to tell what you're going to get. My Bhut Jolokia seeds that I got from him didn't get a chance to fruit the first year, but the second year the plant I grew out ended up not being a true Bhut. I'm not sure if it was a hybrid or what, because it had a pointed shape that looks like a lot of the smaller bhuts I see on the web and definitely had C. chinenses genetics, but it was nothing like the large, wrinkled, superhots you see coming out of the NMCPI. Also probably around hab heat or slightly above, not superhot. I'll post pics on request.

Overall I'd say he's a good source for novice growers but I wouldn't recommend him if you're trying to get superhots and such. There are more reputable sources out there. Overall probably a C+/B-

Thanks Ivan, Awwsheet and Wulf. Thanks for the positive input. We get even more inspired by when we see so many satisfied customers...and we'll work even harder to crank it up a notch....with the heat too. LOL. PJ
Thank You.jpg

I bought a ton of pepper seeds (2 separate orders) from Pepper joe and so far 95% have germinated.  Shipping was fast and the free seeds were nice.  Will definitely be ordering from him again!

Huge thanks to Pepper Joe, whose seeds arrived the quickest in the mail of all the seeds I ordered. Great packaging and all seeds germinated within 5 to 10 days with the exception of two. Pretty good odds I’d say.  I swear Pepper Joe is family by looking at him. Even my wife saw his photo and couldn’t believe it. He looks just like my Dad when he was my age, and I look a lot like him. Whata ya say Pepper Joe are you Italiano?  “Ya gota Calabresia in ya???” The resemblance is scary. 

Hey thanks FiveohMike and SL3.

I sure do appreciate the positive input.
Like both of you, I'm getting a ton of good germination reports.
We've taken extra measures with our drying and curing process....both ourselves and with the Quality Control with our growers.
I'm just thrilled that it is paying off.
SL3, yea, I think we are Italiano Paisan's.  My Mom is Calabrese (she's 94 uears old and still going strong....the Hot Peppers work LOL) and my Dad was born in Abruzzi, 1 1/2 hours from Rome on the Adriatic Coast.
Here's Mama when I flew to Philly to see her last week...94 years old....could it be the Chiles?
IMG_0190.JPG

That resemblance is interesting....email me a pic if you'd like at pepperjoe@sc.rr.com
Cao' to all!
Pepper Joe

I bought my very first pack of super hot seeds from Joe back in 09,since then I've ordered alot of seeds from him,half my grow this year are from his seeds. Every seed I've ever bought from him has germinated. His site is pretty cool also. It's much more than just a seed store,there's FAQ,recipes etc. His customer service is awesome as well,if you have a problem,Joe will do his best to fix it. I have been a customer for almost 5 years now,and will Continue to be for many years to come. By the way Joe,your fluorescent purple is still my favorite ornamental.

Wayne

Somewhat of a small issue, and it's probably more me than anything.  I bought 13 varieties almost a year ago.  I didn't have the space last year when I bought them to attempt to grow them all out.  I had good results from the few seeds I did plant.  Butch T, White Habs, Scotch Bonnets, Santa Fe Grande, but nothing from the Firecrackers, chocolate habs, Bolivian rainbows or crimson torpedo.  Since then, I've moved to a better climate and planted some of everything since I have the space.  It's been about 6 weeks now. The Santa Fe Grande, Serrano, Scotch Bonnet, Tazmanian Hab and White Hab have sprouted and still growing.  I had Hot Jamaican, Golden Hab and Crimson Torpedo start but they didn't survive past showing the tap root.  Nothing from the Pasilla Baijo, Butch T, Chocolate Hab, Bishop's Crown, Bolivian Rainbow, Atomic Starfish or Firecracker.  Not too concerned about the Pasilla Baijo, they were one of the two free packs of seeds and it is possible the Butch T seeds I collected from pods last year weren't quite ready yet and it's possible the Butch T seeds planted were mine instead of the few left over from the original purchase.  Whether it makes a difference or not, I have a few other varieties I've also planted, seeds from trades on here.  Total, I planted 48 varieties, 29 are growing right now, plus 2 that were lost because of the seed case not coming off.  Not sure if anyone wants to do the math or not....

I still have seed for everything that didn't germ and I plan to try them again once I get the seedlings transplanted so I can put the cover back on the starting tray.  Those that did germ, I can't complain....

Hi RHM3769.
First off thanks for being a customer....and also thanks for trusting in us to place such a big order.
:P
100% Customer satisfaction is our goal.
You have a large grow going on there and some different variables....including planting some seeds for 2 years now.
Plain and simple, if you feel that any of my seeds consistently did not germinate, email me at pepperjoe@sc.rr.com and I'll gladly replace them.
We appreciate you.
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe

pepperjoe said:
Hi RHM3769.
First off thanks for being a customer....and also thanks for trusting in us to place such a big order.
100% Customer satisfaction is our goal.
You have a large grow going on there and some different variables....including planting some seeds for 2 years now.
Plain and simple, if you feel that any of my seeds consistently did not germinate, email me at pepperjoe@sc.rr.com and I'll gladly replace them.
We appreciate you.
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe
I'll give those that didn't germ another shot, it is a bit warmer out at night now than when I first started them this year, so I shouldn't have to keep moving them back and forth.  I'm only bummed the few I was really looking forward to growing are the ones I'm not having any luck with.  I'll keep your offer in mind, and keep things updated here and my glog.  

OK, so I paid $10 for exactly 10 Carolina Reaper (HP22B) seeds with $6 shipping, and now they have started making pods.  Only 2 plants even remotely look like the true shape of an HP22B.  Check out the Carolina Reaper Community Grow thread.  I sent Joe an email last Sunday expressing my concern, however no response yet.  I thought I would give him a week before I said something in here about it (Customer service?).  Everyone I know who has bought HP22B seeds from Joe has been a mistake.  I just want to warn folks that if you want true HP22B seeds, order them straight through the source from Ed Currie at www.puckerbuttpeppercompany.com.  Joe, if you're going to charge premium price for "exactly 10 seeds", then they better be LEGIT!  I will never order anything from Pepper Joe again!

Omega,
I didn't get your email....reach out to me directly at pepperjoe@sc.rr.com.
I'll gladly replace your Carolina Reaper Seeds.
Ed Currie's Reaper Seeds and mine are identical.  As a matter of fact, Ed actually packaged them for me....the first time in our 25 year history that we didn't package one of our seed varieties ourselves. I asked Ed to make certain that each envelope had 12 seeds...but when you are packing tens of thousands of packages....mistakes do happen.
I'll see to it that your replacement pack has plenty of seeds.
Mine and Ed's experience with the Reaper Pods has been that some of the initial pods may have a smoother texture....but in most cases as the plant matures and the weather gets hotter, the Reaper-ish Gnarly pods usually show up.
I find that this is not unusual with SuperHots.
Dale from Bakers Peppers has posted pics right here on THP with 2,000 Reaper Pods and they were all Gnarly Reaper Pods.
I've had hundreds of pics on my Facebook Page and in emails that look awesome.
But your most important pods are the ones that YOU are growing Omega, so reach out to me and I'll take care of it. By the way, our Shipping for a pack of Reaper Seeds is $4.95....not $6.00 :P Omega, you said the same thing about $6 shipping in your January 24th post #156 and I explained it back then too....in my post #157 and #161...in that post #161 I offered to send you replacement seeds as well...  :P Remember??....we don't try to ship cheap but ship so that seeds arrive in perfect condition with Bubble Wrap padded envelopes.
Thanks for being a customer.
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe
carolina reaper bounty....all tails.jpg

pepperjoe said:
Omega,
I didn't get your email....reach out to me directly at pepperjoe@sc.rr.com.
I'll gladly replace your Carolina Reaper Seeds.
Ed Currie's Reaper Seeds and mine are identical.  As a matter of fact, Ed actually packaged them for me....the first time in our 25 year history that we didn't package one of our seed varieties ourselves. I asked Ed to make certain that each envelope had 12 seeds...but when you are packing tens of thousands of packages....mistakes do happen.
I'll see to it that your replacement pack has plenty of seeds.
Mine and Ed's experience with the Reaper Pods has been that some of the initial pods may have a smoother texture....but in most cases as the plant matures and the weather gets hotter, the Reaper-ish Gnarly pods usually show up.
I find that this is not unusual with SuperHots.
Dale from Bakers Peppers has posted pics right here on THP with 2,000 Reaper Pods and they were all Gnarly Reaper Pods.
I've had hundreds of pics on my Facebook Page and in emails that look awesome.
But your most important pods are the ones that YOU are growing Omega, so reach out to me and I'll take care of it. By the way, our Shipping for a pack of Reaper Seeds is $4.95....not $6.00 :P Omega, you said the same thing about $6 shipping in your January 24th post #156 and I explained it back then too....in my post #157 and #161...in that post #161 I offered to send you replacement seeds as well...  :P Remember??....we don't try to ship cheap but ship so that seeds arrive in perfect condition with Bubble Wrap padded envelopes??
Thanks for being a customer.
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe
attachicon.gif
carolina reaper bounty....all tails.jpg

Joe, I clicked on the "Email Pepper Joe" link at the bottom of your website which has "pepperjoe1@sc.rr.com' as the email address.  First of all, it's not about giving costumers extra seeds (you grow from seed so you know).  I sowed these seeds in late January and 5 months later, I have pods.  It's about the time I spent taking care of these guys anticipating their pod arrival.  Secondly, if you got these from Ed, then that just proves without a shadow of a doubt that this strain has not stabilized yet and you guys should not be selling them at a premium price until they have stabilized.  If that's the case then it's not your fault.  I live in southern Tennessee and we have had some mid-90 degree days for 2 weeks now.  If they were going to get gnarly, now would be the time.  Oh and BTW, I looked at my invoice, and I did pay $5.95 shipping.  If you need me to make screen captures of what I paid and the email address I sent an email to,I can do that and post the pics here.  

I don't want any seeds now because for one it's too late in the season, and two, I don't trust that they will be what you say they are which it's the kicker for me.  If you and I were trading seeds, I wouldn't care if they were unstable, however we're not and you are charging people premium prices.  I guess it was my fault that I bought into all this "hype".  Never again!  All about money and less about passion.  I'm going back to passion.

Omega,
Our Shipping Charges are:
up to $15 order....$4.95
$15.01 to 30.00....$5.95
$30.01 to $50.00...$6.95
Etc......
As I said in my post back in January....our research showed that our shipping charges were in the bottom 25% of the seed companies that we checked on. 
So if you were charged $5.95 possibly you ordered more than one pack of Carolina Reapers to hit the 2nd tier charge?
If not let me know and I'll gladly refund the $1.00 difference.
Again, thanks for being a customer.
Pepper Joe
BTW....I know you are going into the Hot Pepper Seed business from your previous posts....how's that going?
Good Luck with it.

pepperjoe said:
Omega,
Our Shipping Charges are:
up to $15 order....$4.95
$15.01 to 30.00....$5.95
$30.01 to $50.00...$6.95
Etc......
As I said in my post back in January....our research showed that our shipping charges were in the bottom 25% of the seed companies that we checked on. 
So if you were charged $5.95 possibly you ordered more than one pack of Carolina Reapers to hit the 2nd tier charge?
If not let me know and I'll gladly refund the $1.00 difference.
Again, thanks for being a customer.
Pepper Joe
BTW....I know you are going into the Hot Pepper Seed business from your previous posts....how's that going?
Good Luck with it.

Yeah, I bought 3 packs of seeds from you. Just don't understand charging more when you can use the same postage?  

On a good note, my giant ghost peppers I got from you are very healthy and producing very large pods!  I think you have something there!

I know I'm busting your balls a little, but hey I'm not a politically correct person and I talk out of my @zz sometimes :)  I'm sure you do very good business, and that's great.

btw, I'm not venturing into the seed market anymore since I have found a another vision that is a lot safer. lol

Take care

scratchzilla said:

omega said:

Yeah, I bought 3 packs of seeds from you. Just don't understand charging more when you can use the same postage?  

On a good note, my giant ghost peppers I got from you are very healthy and producing very large pods!  I think you have something there!

I know I'm busting your balls a little, but hey I'm not a politically correct person and I talk out of my @zz sometimes :)  I'm sure you do very good business, and that's great.

btw, I'm not venturing into the seed market anymore since I have found a another vision that is a lot safer. lol

Take care

Thanks for the nicer tone, Omega...I appreciate it.
When you run your own business sometimes you have to have tough skin.  After  running 350 Stores in the Ladies Clothing Business (called Fashion Bug)  my skin isn't just tough....it's like alligator leather.
;)
I had 3,500 employees in my Division....and I could write a book on all of that.
It's all good.
In the Retail business  I always said I wouldn't get a Gold Watch and retirement....but I'd go out in a Body Bag.
And that's pretty much what happened at the end....but again all good....I had a fantastic 39 year run.
I actually had the most tenure at the end out of 10,000 employees....with the 39 years in.
BTW Omega....the reason shipping costs go up in Tiers....I lose money on Shipping Hot Sauces and Gourmet Sauces....so we decided last year rather than pass that substantial costs along to customers....to flatten out the costs with a Tiered System.
Right or wrong I very rarely get a complaint or I would re look at it.
Thanks for your input and being a customer. I'm thrilled that your Giant Ghost is doing so well.  It's a great pepper for stuffing.
PJ

Hey Joe,

Just to let you know I had good germination on your Reapers (even had one germinate after being tossed aside for 2 weeks).  Of all I started (9 0r 10 or so) I still have four plants that made it to through my mistakes, two of them just starting to get pods.  Digging all the tomato seeds you sent along with them as well.  Having good production from them all.  Tell Penny I said Thanks.

Hi Shawn and thanks for the update.
Yea we're getting great germination reports on the Reaper...glad that yours did so well.
I'll pass your compliment along to Penny as well....as a matter of fact we have a big pot of tomatoes cooking right now to make Spaghetti sauce for later tonight.
Nothing like those Heirloom Tomatoes.
Thanks for being a customer Shawn.

Thank you 3.jpg

Back