Pepper Joe's

I bought about 6 varieties from them this year. The germination rate of their seeds were great and the plants are growing well so far.

Although I've heard people have ordered peppers that turned out not to be true to form of what they ordered. Hopefully that's not the case with mine.

cmpman1974 said:
Too expensive for me and too much making up his own names to profit. Tired of that.

I was thinking of that when I saw Bahamas Seafood Pepper. There is no such pepper here to my knowledge.

Funny you noticed that. I was going to ask you about that variety. The guy makes up some real scam names - i.e., buy a Bhut Jolokia from the Chile Pepper Institute, slap a name of 'Giant Bhut Jolokia' and sell it for $8 a pack. Geez... Other specialties: ATOMIC STARFISH. TASMANIAN HABANERO that is not C. Chinense has zero stability. Golden Hab that is 'hottest in the world.' Why support a guy like this?

Yeah, i ordered his hottest in the world golden habs about 4 years ago. I grew em all right. f$%@*n orange habs i got.
But the best is the picture on his web site standing beside the bhut with the wife beater on.
Love that!!!

cmpman1974 said:
Funny you noticed that. I was going to ask you about that variety. The guy makes up some real scam names - i.e., buy a Bhut Jolokia from the Chile Pepper Institute, slap a name of 'Giant Bhut Jolokia' and sell it for $8 a pack. Geez... Other specialties: ATOMIC STARFISH. TASMANIAN HABANERO that is not C. Chinense has zero stability. Golden Hab that is 'hottest in the world.' Why support a guy like this?

Is the Tasmanian Hab not real? Neil tested it and it sure looked like the real deal (Hippy Seeds sells them as well). Pepper Joe and Hippy Seeds list it as chinense but is it not? If it's not then consider me another victim of Pepper Joe's. I have to say though, when he lists it as "A Pepper Joe original" you gotta wonder.

I never grew Neil's strain so I can't comment. I was sent Pepper Joe's seeds (originals) for the Tasmanian Habanero. Grew three plants...all Annuums, all three were different pods. Ridiculous. They were kind of pretty though. lol.

Chris

cmpman1974 said:
I never grew Neil's strain so I can't comment. I was sent Pepper Joe's seeds (originals) for the Tasmanian Habanero. Grew three plants...all Annuums, all three were different pods. Ridiculous. They were kind of pretty though. lol.

Chris

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be pretty pissed if I bought all that from him (wearing his wife beater tank top and all (ha!).....with higher than average prices....and Canadian shipping on top) to have them turn out un-true. I also got my Caribbean Reds, Scotch Bonnets, Jamaican Reds and a few others from him which I'm looking forward to, so I'm hoping I don't run into a situation like yours Chris.

I also think it's interesting that he doesn't show actual pictures of any peppers he grows....they're all sketches. I'm starting to worry about this.

Well I can pretty much verify that the "Bahamas Seafood Pepper" does not exist, at least not here in the real Bahamas lol.
BTW the scetch looks like a fish pepper.

I got some seeds from him this year, Taz Habs and Atomic Starfish, they all sprouted already so I will have to let ya know if I got hosed or not after they start budding, should know then atleast if they are chinense or annum

FadeToBlack said:
Well I can pretty much verify that the "Bahamas Seafood Pepper" does not exist, at least not here in the real Bahamas lol.
BTW the scetch looks like a fish pepper.
Fade
I' m just glad he hasn't discovered our "Canadian moose pepper" yet lol

WickedMojo said:
I think he's growing them out this year for his 2011 seed catalog lol :D

LOL..2011 catalog.. Damit the secret is out. By the way does anyone want any of the orange habs.. i mean ah... ooops "Golden Habs" i bought off Pepper Joe.
Nothing against orange habs by the way

Well as a newbie, I found his site and purchased a few varieties from him. The Bhuts, Peter Peppers, Bolivian Rainbow, Ancho/Pablano, and Flourescent Purples. I got some Hungarian Hots and Long Red Slims as freebies. So far the Bhuts, Peters, LRS and Hungarians have all popped and are looking good for seedlings. After reading this thread I hoping they are all true versions. I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.

I had a great experience with pepper joe's. I bought 15 or so kinds of seeds from him last year. They had an excellent germination rate and seemed to grow true. I was pleased, and produced some impressive plants. IO planted some of last year's seed this year, and again had a good germination rate.

I know there are other ways to get seed. But if you are going to buy, I recommend pepper joe's (pepper gal also has great seed). The only two I have bought seed from so I can't compare to anyone else, only relate my personal experience.

Good luck!

Pepperjoe's has been around a long time and it used to be on of the few places to find new peppers but they haven't grown with the times and their reputation has gotten very bad. There's just too many better, more reliable seed sources these days

i hate that crap !!! Pepper joes is pepper Noes!! i would never buy from them . We dont even say " Mon " here. we are not jamaicans. darn pepper joes that site need to be blown to smitherines. Bahamas seafood pepper ( no such thing ) . NEVER BUY FROM HIM!!! IF U DO I WILL FIND U !!!!

Turkish cayenne doas not exist eather. actually Aci Sivri the detail the guy gives and both being from turkey its a exact match. i think taz hab though is true. a chinense variety named after the aperance fruits are actually shape like tazmania

Back