• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Pepper People are the Best

when you realize schitts creek GIF by CBC

I sent @catchthebear a few seeds, and he sends this back to me....
320D6054-B94F-4F9A-916B-193ECE69F0A8_1_201_a.jpeg

What a great gift. Many thanks, Matt!

Oh yeah, and a USB powered seed dryer!
How cool is this!
49043066-9056-445C-BCFB-97949ACD3A01_1_201_a.jpeg

Matt represents what I love so much about
the THP community. Thanks again, partner!
WOW, what a nice package, lucky you👌👌 Hey @catchthebear, you sure you don't need some more seeds?😉

Earlier this past week, I came home after a particularly difficult workday. Much to my surprise, was a parcel at my door stoop. The origin was Mexico. I’ve but one friend there, and my spirits were lifted immediately un caballero muy amable del sur de Mexico!
box.jpg

The cache’ ……
cache1.jpg

Some home made pickled vegetables, they are wonderful. I tried them already, just enough heat….. went well with the steak dinner I had it with…
IMG_7244.jpg

pickle1.jpg

Some pepper jelly. I am told it is made with 2/3 Star fruit and 1/3 Rocoto peppers. A unique delight that certainly I’ve never had before. I look forward to this one, looks incredible!
IMG_7243.jpg

A nice coffee mug with Mayan motif. It is now my favorite and will see years of use. So cool!
mug1.jpg

mug2.jpg

A jar of Don Emilio Morita pepper sauce. It says “hot” and I’ve no doubt that it is…gotta figure out the best use for this one. Looks tasty but a little scary as well.
IMG_7241.jpg

Some local coconut candy, again, something I have never tried before but will enjoy giving it a try.
d1.jpg

And the icing on the cake – a nice t-shirt to commemorate Día de los Muertos! I started a little early.
wm1.jpg

It is difficult to assign proper words of appreciation to such kindness. I am blessed yet again by the selfless and sharing people of pepper. PPATB! We are in fact - worldwide! Thank you Ahayastani :cheers:

Edit: failed to mention one other item, some prose, eloquently written in beautiful penmanship. This item I chose to hold in confidence. ;)

2nd edit: I cannot overlook the mailing date of the parcel and not employ Occam's razor. Connecticut US, Australia, Southern Mexico - all within days of each other....hmmm. I do believe I've been "punked." (In the best way :dance:)
punked.gif

Last edited:
@WarrantMan , happy to see the cache arrived in good condition 😁

The pickled vegetables are a favourite here. Hotness is tuned to the average Mexican palate. They combine well with tacos.

This particular salsa macha is one of my favourite commercial Mexican salsas. It certainly is more hot than my pickled vegetables, but certainly not scorching. I apply it liberaly on my cheese sandwich, especially in combination with avocado. I also use it to pimp up commercial marmelades (especially strawberry), but MXicans think I'm crazy. This is a very versatile salsa. It is traditionally combined with quesadillas, tacos, carne asado, ...

The jelly is currently one of my favourites. The region here is rich in fruit and I've been trying to make marmelades of various kinds of fruit. Some attempts were complete failures, but others worked out well. The strange thing is that I didn't like 100% star fruit jelly very much, but the combination with rocoto is a winner (in my opinion, at least).

Enjoy 🙃

@ahayastani,

We have a big local market here, only open on Saturdays and Sundays. It regularly has a large group of Mexican buyers as well as sellers... I recently noticed one party was selling fresh sliced fruit and vegetables with various condiments. There, I watched (I suppose) a Mexican guy purchase fresh sliced cucumbers and slather on Don Emilio salsa macha. I'd never seen it before you sent it to me, but then had the perfect opportunity to try it. So, I copied him, got cucumbers and went heavy with the salsa. Incredible! Now I understand! The jar won't last long now. Thanks again! :cheers: PPATB!

We have a big local market here, only open on Saturdays and Sundays. It regularly has a large group of Mexican buyers as well as sellers... I recently noticed one party was selling fresh sliced fruit and vegetables with various condiments. There, I watched (I suppose) a Mexican guy purchase fresh sliced cucumbers and slather on Don Emilio salsa macha. I'd never seen it before you sent it to me, but then had the perfect opportunity to try it. So, I copied him, got cucumbers and went heavy with the salsa. Incredible! Now I understand! The jar won't last long now. Thanks again! :cheers: PPATB!

Good to hear 👍 It is a very versatile salsa (IMO). Now that you "know" the taste, you'll find a world of possibilities revealing itself 😁. Don't forget to add it to your avocado cheese sandwich 😉

Last edited:
A while back @WarrantMan sent me some of his sauces, including Clearly Guilty. I knew when I saw it that "greens" were gonna dance. Well, it finally happened. The chicken and mash got hit with Homicide and the fresh collards went swimming in Clearly Guilty. OH...MY...G*D!!! I was in heaven. Even Mrs. DR enjoyed it. All of Reggie's sauces are fantastic, and Clearly Guilty is an awesome member of the group. I can't wait to jump in again. Hey y'all, if you haven't tried this one yet, jump on it. It does not disappoint!

Thanks again Reggie!

PPATB!

IMG_20220514_201412453.jpg

Last edited:
So, in another thread elsewhere in THPdom, I mentioned I liked the looks of @WarrantMan's Lemon Dropkick pepper (so named by me, referencing his own expertly, randomly and completely by accident cross with an unknown partner). Next thing I know, these show up.

IMG_20220712_113747658.jpg

Lemon Dropkick, Super Chile
WarrantMan Lemon Dropkick IMG_20220711_115854620.jpg WarrantMan Super Chile IMG_20220711_115750901.jpg

So, first thing to do is taste them. The Lemon Dropkick tastes like your typical Lemon Drop pepper, at least as I remember it, but I haven't grown it in several years. Dropkick is mildly citrusy with some heat that tends to linger for a bit, and doesn't have that up front "acrid" taste you can sometimes get with a traditional lemon drop. The Super Chili has a subtle sweetness up front, then a nice mellow heat moves in. I would say they both are about the same heat level, maybe in the cayenne heat range or so. I think both would be great ground into powder. The Super Chili might also make a good pickling candidate, reminding me of a spicier version the Sport pepper of Chicago hotdog fame. I also think both of them would be excellent as a recipe ingredient, adding subtle flavor and a little bit of "Hello" for the average person. Nice peppers overall!

So, with that cooking thing in mind, I've been wanting to try my hand at Mexican Street Corn.

Of course, I didn't have any fresh corn-on-the-cob, so canned it was. I browned it in the cast iron skillet, trying to simulate a "grilled" flavor. Then I seeded about a dozen Super Chili and half a dozen Dropkicks and tossed them in.
WarrantMan Super Chile IMG_20220711_172637596.jpg WarrantMan Mexican Street Corn IMG_20220711_173559530.jpg

Added all the other ingredients in the recipe and ended up with this.
WarrantMan Mexican Street Corn IMG_20220711_182501837.jpg IMG_20220712_185726503.jpg

Not bad! Needs a few tweaks, but the peppers were excellent. Brought a nice background warmth and complemented the dishes main flavor without overpowering it. Very happy with the addition!

Thanks again Reggie for your generosity. I am truly humbled.

PPATB!

I am blessed once again to be a member of one of the coolest clubs in the world – THP! Several weeks ago, a surprise parcel hit my porch, origin Southwestern United States. A most generous and thoughtful gift from @Voodoo 6. To add special context, it arrived at a time of personal darkness and otherwise brought some rays of sun. Your timing was impeccable sir! Behold the cache'

v1.jpg

packages of dried Chile Guajillo and Chile de Arbol

v2.jpg

Some jars of green and red Hatch chile powder, note the X's....
v6.jpg
v7.jpg

Some "lunchbox" packets of pepper flakes - Arbol, Habanero, Jalapeno and Ghost!
v5.jpg

and the "Coup de Gras" a book titled "The Ultimate Cigar Book" by author Richard Carleton Hacker. How cool is that? I am indeed a bibliophile and I must mention it is signed by the author. Touche' my friend, touche'....
v3.jpg

and lastly, as if all this wasn't a lord's plenty, he included two fine looking cigars to go with my reading. Now I've got some research to do and a bit of relaxing with a good stogie.
v8.jpg
v9.jpg

From North Charleston, SC on this Tuesday evening - to you sir @Voodoo 6, "I tip my hat." Thank you!
- Reggie

Last edited:
@Voodoo 6

I had a bud put the El Ray Del Mundo cigar in his humidor for me. I enjoyed it after a particularly difficult day at work. One where I had to deal with a dead body (x several days). The smell was gut wrenching, seemed to stick to my hair, mustache and beard, even a hot shower didn't seem to quell it. But later, I fired up the stogie, had a refreshing beverage and rejoiced in the wonderful aroma. It made for a relaxing evening in spite of the circumstance. I enjoyed it immensely! Thank you again for your kindness and generosity, I am still reading and will likely purchase some cigars on my own. I will share my experiences with the peppers as I go. The little packets are awesome, but they do top my threshold of heat. A little goes a long way.

Thanks again.

:cheers:

Reggie

I was caught… again LOL! I know anything I say can and will be used against me, but I won't need a lawyer here because I'm speechless anyway. Thank you sooooo much for the care package @WarrantMan, all your products are excellent and I cannot recommend them enough. This was my first time trying a pepper infused vinegar (Clearly Guilty) and I think I'm already hooked! Awesome branding too btw👌👍

PPATB

http://www.warrantmanpepperco.com/

1704586294825.png

1704586328271.png

Back