• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Pepper Powders

For the folks who grind their own powders, do you leave the seeds in or remove the seeds? I have always heard that leaving the seeds in makes for a more bitter powder...?

Thanks,
Jim

i make powder some times,i never use the seeds just because i want them. im not sure about the bitterness, but i would think you would not want them in there since there not actually pepper?

It depends on the pepper, some are full of seeds and some are very easy to de-seed. Usually with any large annuum like Numex/Anaheims or poblano/ancho etc. it is easy to remove the many seeds and it makes a much better powder. With the super-hots, its just about impossible to remove the seeds without removing some placental tissue so you're removing some heat but you're also removing needless filler that on its own is quite bitter. If it was an easy task, I'd probably always remove seeds but its just simpler to grind most whole

I always leave seeds in mine unless I deseed a bunch for seedstock to sell...

one thing about leaving seeds in that no one has hit upon is that seeds will make your powder a lighter color...I made a bunch of TS powder this summer and the first batch was deseeded...the powder was a brilliant red color...the rest was seeds and all and not a bright a red...

I always cut peppers in half and take out the seeds,that way you can see if ya have any pepper maggots or anything,but I guess if ya didnt have alot it would be good filler!

I do it both ways and actually prefer the powder without seeds. One reason AJ touched upon is color and the second is seeds are harder to grind down. I don't do it very often though, when you're grinding a pound or two of dried pods it gets tedious and time consuming.

I agree with AJ and Patrick, This was my first year making powder. I used seeds with my fatalii powder b/c I don't think I would notice a difference without seeds because the seeds/peppers are damn near the same color. But with Red, Brown, and Orange peppers the powder color is alot more vibrant w/o seeds. I grinded up a bunch of TS n Bhuts, No seeds, I was wondering why the power was literally lipstick red, realized.. no seeds. The others, more like an orange-red. I didn't notice a difference in taste on either though.

So like patrick said.. It depends on how much labor you wanna put into it. Your call sir :)

Brandon

Back