• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

pepperproblem's 2013 grow log.

OK, I hope this is intresting to someone. My 1st attempt to share a season. I have not got the whole list done and I have just starting sowing this week. I have layed out about 300 seeds so far. Maybe another 300 today. At 4-5 days into it, I have a good number of sprouts. 3 types of wilds, some C. chinense, a Rocoto or two, and something else. I will get some pics together to show the grow spaces etc in the next day or so.

Capsicum galapagoense
gal2_zpsa044f8b8.jpg

Getting the 1st batch ready.
sowing1_zps3b868eb1.jpg

Part of last years patch not quite half way thru the year.
test7093_zps16795c37.jpg

I had paths, but everthing overgrew. Hopefully better planning this year.
flowers010_zps6bc97e0b.jpg

Rocotos
test17024_zpsa3dc7528.jpg

Pics from 2012
7pody006_zpsf82db331.jpg

dug2_zpsf6dc2b9a.jpg

browns003_zpscd51f1a5.jpg

One of my contest giveaways. More coming, I hope.
test33a057_zpsc8c334a6.jpg

You get the idea. Its a problem I have. lol
test33a021_zpsd7ff185f.jpg

I, like many of you, have to move plants around. I use these plastic racks for ghetto greenhouses. The total cost for each is about 18 bucks. I also use some with shade cloth on some to help seedlings in hardening off. I can regulate temps and sun exposure throughout the day.I can also germinate inside of them. Very mobile, and light.
Here is what it looks like.
gands60231_zpsaf7c0642.jpg

This is he midday temp. Its 65 outside.
gands60261_zpsb57f2b05.jpg

For germ trays.
gands60551_zpsaeb6c0b5.jpg

Zanahoria Triangulo
gands60931_zps1b7d2eb8.jpg

Overwinters starting to wake up.
gands60351_zps80bfad29.jpg

It always amazes me that they go right into reproduction mode.
gands60511_zpsa949a997.jpg

Thanks for looking, peace, pp

Shawn great updates and pics ^_^ I see some bugs on that last shot but can't identify, good or bad? Also see a little web and I think some bug eggs ... I thought you guys sent all the bugs to FL last year ;)

Thanks Ramon. I posted a topic yesterday on those. On top of it, thanks. I live next to a nature preserve, so this will be a different year with new critters.
Thanks for pointing your post out to me, I'm still feeling my way back into the site as I was away and am far behind everyone, so I missed your post yesterday. I have never seen them before but I agree with OhioGrown saying they are spiky treehopper nymphs based on a few quick searches I did. I live and learn something new every day, thanks for today’s lesson ^_^

Edit: BTW great macro shot you took of them

Nice flower shot!! Z.triangulo is a prolific plant,very cool for a c.chinense.
Its always odd to see a overwintered stick trying to produce fruit without much foliage. You know those little weird peppers that come out early. Something to eat, I suppose. Spring here is cool and the seedlings do not like it. My production is such that they have to be outside, so regulating temps is a constant battle. If I was 5-15 miles inland the Spring is perfect. For people that do not know our weather here, the beach can be 63 and the deserts are high 90s. So something in between is good in the Spring. The ocean moderates the temps year round. Warmer nights, cooler days.One year I started them in the desert, then moved them half way to the coast, then near the coast. Great year, but the time involved was crazy. They do not grow much until June.
How is your wild grow going?

How do you use the kelp in your beds? Do you just chop it up and bury it or do you process it in some way? I'm guessing you wash it off first? I live about 20 minutes from the beach and haven't ever tried it, I have one more bed I need to prep and I'm thinking about using some fresh kelp.

Easier to keep plants alive during winter on the coast,but earlier season inland? How does the salt air affect your plants? My wilds are starting to grow now. Like you,mid June is when the temps get consistant and ground temps are right in my area. I couldn't have seedlings outside now though,we should have a few more frosts and 40°and rain for the next month.

Easier to keep plants alive during winter on the coast,but earlier season inland? How does the salt air affect your plants? My wilds are starting to grow now. Like you,mid June is when the temps get consistant and ground temps are right in my area. I couldn't have seedlings outside now though,we should have a few more frosts and 40°and rain for the next month.
I used to grow indoors until mid May. So they went out all super green and greenhouse like. I do to many now, so I rush the little guys a bit. Trying to get heat, wind, Sun, temps to align has been non stop. I just do not get good growth until late May, but they do well into Dec. The salt air is not a issue. The pics from the pods have deposits, so pictures after a rain look better. which is not that often. stc3248 lives about 15 miles inland. The Spring there is 75-85. So he gets a earlier start. I stay in this coastal off and on Sun until late June. It is called May Gray and June Gloom here. If the ocean heats up, mid 60s, the overcast burns off faster and it gets warmer. Say mid 70s.. So if anyone is thinking about a vacation in San Diego August or Sept. is the best on the coast. High 70s. warmer ocean temps, less people.
Here is a plant (Douglah) doing its best growth into Dec.1 month to late.
romey002.jpg

The overwinters are starting to come alive. April/May sorta sucks for peppers here.Not cold, but never gets much past 65 and overcast off and on. It never fails, as soon as they go outside they almost stop growing until later in May.I am still sowing things so no worries. Its expected. I harden some off in June!, and they catch up.I just have too many to grow indoors and the makeshift greenhouses and shade rooms do help a lot. I just do it in stages.
Sowed some new things today.
12022_zps6d7c1e70.jpg

The Rocotos love the long cool Spring/ early Summer weather here.
120121_zps610ca632.jpg

My experiment with Root Riots (left) and Rapid Rooters (right) shows that the Rapid Rooters germinated about 3 times as many as Root Riots. The Root Riot seedlings are larger though. I did not use a heat mat, or any source of heat because that would have made for uneven heat across the tray. I just set it outside in a shade cloth covered area with consitant temps. Not warm, mid 60;s, so germ times are slow.
120061_zpsa8496524.jpg

I have a number of trays with Morugas. This tray I am now going to use some CO2 pads and see if I get faster growth or what not.
120191_zpsc69e1fef.jpg

1st bee of the season. No flowers yet buddy. lol
120031_zpsf0c47400.jpg

More sowing?? This is going to be ridiculous! Have you ever grown Turbo Pube before? I have one going inside under cfl lights and it is starting to set fruit. I think I read where they fruit alittle easier than most pubes. Keep up the good work.

My best time is from July to mid Nov. Thats why.The Turbo booster is new to me. I left my Rocotos at the old house. They get too big too move.
But you are right, it is a bit much at this point.
Rocotos under lights?

Not much to say as this time of the year is slow. Wilds, sweets, pubes med hots doing well, supers lagging behind. Normal. Overwinters have kicked in. Temps high 66, low 57 average. Not helping much for sure., Indoors are doing well, but that is easy. lol June/July it kicks into gear when we are closer to 70-75
Rhoms, again, sorry
may6037w_zps66be598c.jpg

Cardenasii, thank you Chris!!!
may603022_zps3370f601.jpg

Kitchenpepper Peach
may602222_zpsc9b011ad.jpg

Jigsaw 24 hours after a hook. Reaching.
may6001q_zpsabf33d40.jpg

Bolivian Enormous.
may6033www_zps0f6669d2.jpg

I sowed a tray of Moruga Blends that I removed from pods. There is always a chance a seed mixed in, but I was pretty careful with it. One looks like this.
may7003dd_zps6c4c6618.jpg

Still sowing. May is here, thank God. Now they are much happier.
may7013rr_zps5bf9568b.jpg

Intresting.
may7019hh_zps388c55e0.jpg

One of the last trays. Odds and ends. The bigger ones are Rainforest. Yum.
vvrvvv_zps6975599b.jpg

My brother lives in Thailand. He took some pics of the market peppers. This one is new to me. I am having him ship me seeds.
New_DSC_4625_zps67f926ff.jpg

Some of last years.
IMG_20120509_121916.jpg

Pubes
TEST41041_zps9f5a0d75.jpg

Back