• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peppin' Ain't Easy..."3/5King's 2012"

GLOG =Good Looking Older Gentlemen or maybe Got Lot's of Gas......Today I'm going to have to go with both.....TMI....I think not.

So this will be my first GLOG. Enjoy Everyone.

Grow List

Brain Strain 7
Jonah 7
Yellow 7
Chocolate Bhut
Peach Bhut
Yellow Bhut
Douglah
Naga Morich
Chocolate Scorpion

Tepin
Pekin
White Habanero
CGN 21500
Fatalii Yellow
Fatalii White
Aji Lemon Drop
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Bonda Ma Jacques
Datil
Long Chocolate Habanero

Should have the grow area set up and seeds germing by February 15th

"European earwig can inflict significant injury to vegetables, fruit, and flowers. Bean, beet, cabbage, celery, chard, cauliflower, cucumber, lettuce, pea, potato, rhubarb, and tomato are among the vegetable crops sometimes injured"

Chili are related to Tomatoes so could be a problem?

"Seedlings and plants providing the earwigs with good shelter, such as the heads of cauliflower, the stem bases of chard, and the ears of corn, are particularly likely to be eaten, and also to be contaminated with fecal material"

So they may crap on your pods King. :party:

Mezo.

Oh they are shitting where my peppers sleep Mezo. I'm going to put down this stuff that goes into pool pumps. It's basically tiny microb skeletons, crushed up. Supposedly the ear wigs hate it and it cuts up their belly when they crawl through it. So I'm going to sprinkle it about 6 inches around the base of my plants and see what happens.

Hey King, you are going to be 'pod king' before long. I love your tenacious
attitude. You are going to force your grow to be a good one through sheer
will power!

As for the vegetable horror stories, I'm not sure about what Mezo says, but I
have no reason to doubt him. I have grown brocolli and cauliflower on occasion,
and I do remember the leaves being infested with aphids. I don't grow 'em anymore.
1. it takes fifty plants to make a decent crop. 2. I can buy it cheaper than I can grow
it! It has no heat or floral beauty therefore it is not only slovenly, but lazy. Just kidding.
Feeling antsy I guess.

Good growing to you, bro!

Hey 3/5 make sure you use food grade diatomaceous earth...the pool stuff isn't safe to use on food crops. I have those little bastages too! They make baits for them as well that are supposed to be effective.

Good to know man. Thank you! I'll have to look into it some more. I don't want to screw the pooch. You da man stc.

Thanks bro...saw it on Seth's glog and almost ran out an poured a bunch of my pool stuff around. Glad I searched it first. Sounds as though its pretty good stuff though! Although it kills friendlies too.

That`s real interesting, i had to Google it to find out what it was, many many uses indeed & according to the Wiki King (haaa, Wiki King) :party:

"there are deposits that are up to several hundred meters thick in places" only a thousand miles west of you in Colorado.

Remember them westerns when the cart of horse drawn Nitro was being hauled up a rocky mountain road? the driver looking over his shoulder at the bottles in crates ready to explode (with sweaty brow & worried look)

"In 1866, Alfred Nobel discovered that nitroglycerin could be made much more stable if absorbed in diatomite. This allows much safer transport and handling than nitroglycerin in its raw form. He patented this mixture as dynamite in 1867, and the mixture is also referred to as guhr dynamite"

Shit i learn so much on your thread King, i only wanted to know what "Diatomaceous earth" was.

Mezo.

Hahaha! That's what it's here for mezo! I lived in Colorado for a bit...good reason to pay em' a visit again. I have a picture of a slug in the garden at my buddies. It's just a normal lookin' slug...are these the baddy slugs everyone talks about? I can't upload the pic yet

I thought the food grade was for actual consumption as a wormer... The stuff I have washes right off, is from the garden store, and I'm not worried it will cause any issues since I will not be eating it.

There are a bunch of articles on it...pool grade contains stuff that is harmful to us, and should not be used. I only learned about it because I saw you were using it Seth so I researched it. I have a ton of the swimming pool stuff that is just sitting there because I no longer have a DE pool filter. Don't know if rinsing it completely removes residues or if some of the silica is actually absorbed by the plants??? They also claim that it is less effective. Anyway, I wouldn't take any chances.
http://www.safesolutionsinc.com/Diatomaceous_Earth.htm

http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

There are a few different types,I have never been overly concerned with my health but food grade is the safest. Feed grade may have arsenic and lead. Pool grade has a high silica content.

I got pest kill grade specifically for use as a bug killer. I'm not to worried. Although if I were doing it again I would buy food grade. You have to order that stuff though as it's very hard to find.

Ingredients Amorphous silica and Diatomaceous Earth. The only warning is for getting it in your eyes.

Paul-I'm only growing the Cabbage for my nephew's class contest for a 1,000.00 scholarship. Otherwise I'd just rip it out. The rest of the Brussel Sprouts are not mine (It's a shared garden) Otherwise I'd have more pepper plants! I'm going to put down some beer traps and go out and find some Diatomaceous earth and drop that stuff down as well. It's going to be a blood bath.....muahahahaha.

Seth-Yes the pool stuff has a lot of Silica in it that is bad to be inhaled. I know of three kinds they sell. Food grade, feed grade and the kind you put in your pool. The feed grade doesn't have the silica in it but it also doesn't have regulations on metal content like lead and what not, like the food grade does. I mean if I can find the food grade and it isn't an arm and a leg, I'm going with that. I'll prob. still use a mask just to be safe. Fluck it.

So I wasn't paying attention......What P-son said.....lol

All I know is that everything in the garden is pretty much gettin' chewed to shit. So drastic measures will have to be taken. My plants are looking great though. I am really pleased with the growth since plant out. I need to fert again. Here's some pics for your viewing pleasure guys.

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

Your son's plant is more important!

Your peppers don't look so bad. If the bugs chew on the big leaves,
I don't get too concerned. When they start for the new growth, then
it's nuclear war.

Hope that you get them under control, though. They don't help raise the plants,
so they shouldn't be able to participate in the eating!

BTW, tangent: I left a glass of red wine on the table outside while I was
doing yard chores yesterday. When I got back to it there were four fungus
gnats drowning in it, and a couple on the rim. So I'm thinking a saucer of
red wine to attract and kill! Only half serious, but WTH! Cheap red wine, of course!

It's my Nephew....lol. I'm no Baby's Daddy....hahahahaha. Ha! I wouldn't waste good wine on some stupid gnats...that's too good of a death for them. They are more of a nuisance than anything to the older plants. It's the larva that need to burn in hell!

They have gone after a lot of the new growth, I wouldn't have cared either if it was just some of the big leaves. I mean shit, plants loose big leaves in storms all the time. BUT they destroyed all of the new growth on the top of my plant!....and the big leaves...they are going down. In a bad way.

So I hear this Diatomeceous Earth cuts them like razor blades and they bleed out......It is an evil death but a necessary death.....

LONG LIVE THE KING! :hell:

It's my Nephew.... Right; my mistake, sorry.

They have gone after a lot of the new growth, I wouldn't have cared either if it was just some of the big leaves. I mean shit, plants loose big leaves in storms all the time. BUT they destroyed all of the new growth on the top of my plant!....and the big leaves...they are going down. In a bad way.
Okay then, take off the gloves, bro! They have overstepped their bounds.
Have you tried Neem, yet? Do you know if Bonide Fruit and Citrus takes
care of pests?

No biggie Pauly..I treat him like a son, which is scary because most times I'm mad at him because I want him to be the best and make friends. He has one of those personalities that gets you picked on a lot in school. I tell him he needs to beat the snot out of someone now or he will be picked on his entire life (I know from experience) he doesn't like confrontation though....Sigh...he's a good kid though, I'm trying to learn to ease up.

I haven't tried Neem or BCFN spray. I've heard everyone's mixed success with it and it's too expensive to be a "maybe it will help" product. I've heard nothing but death withe the Daitomaceous earth....lol so DE it is!

Those babies are lookin SWEET! The plants will push through the damage no problem. Onions and garlic will work as a barrier between them and your nephew's cabbage as well.

How are the other plants doing? Hope they're figuring out their new home!

Back