• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peppin' Ain't Easy..."3/5King's 2012"

GLOG =Good Looking Older Gentlemen or maybe Got Lot's of Gas......Today I'm going to have to go with both.....TMI....I think not.

So this will be my first GLOG. Enjoy Everyone.

Grow List

Brain Strain 7
Jonah 7
Yellow 7
Chocolate Bhut
Peach Bhut
Yellow Bhut
Douglah
Naga Morich
Chocolate Scorpion

Tepin
Pekin
White Habanero
CGN 21500
Fatalii Yellow
Fatalii White
Aji Lemon Drop
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Bonda Ma Jacques
Datil
Long Chocolate Habanero

Should have the grow area set up and seeds germing by February 15th

Sweet, I just read up on it. Interesting stuff. So simple to make your own rooting hormone out of the twigs. Chew on a piece of bark if your head hurts lol. Also, it says that the willow tree provides food for all of the pollinating insects in early spring. I'm starting to like this tree more and more.

So I've had a few of my seedlings pop up and my TSMB that I am OWing is showing new growth. They are both (seedlings and TSMB) sitting in a western facing window until I can get another makeshift grow box set up. The last one couldn't withstand the test of time lol. I will have pics and more info soon.

Nice work!! You will see a definite improvement next season. I never compost but I do turn some leaves into my bed in the fall. I am fortunate to not have any clay.

Nice work!! You will see a definite improvement next season. I never compost but I do turn some leaves into my bed in the fall. I am fortunate to not have any clay.

Thanks P-son, I am hoping so. Clay is the devil....we plan to just keep adding soil and organic material until the clay is so far down, it doesn't matter anymore...lol Things are lookin' good so far though.

Hi King looks like you are getting off to a good start, I spent a good part of the day pulling out dead vines and burning tomato vines, I haven't decided where I want to put my pepper plants just yet. I want to sneek in a couple of melons, so I might rebuild one of my raised beds next to where my tomatos were, I have to move them to a place that gets more air flow.
I have to get a bunch of cages to help keep the plants from getting torn apart by strong winds along with getting about 20 5gal buckets and about 500 pounds of soil to fill them. I might double that amount and cut back on some of my eggplants.

King, great job!! Just excellent and damned hard work! Now, am, after moving back here from RDU area of NC where they got a lot of sand and having over 4000 sq. or more if want it to plant in, am going to sing the praises of amended clay. I couldn't believe I ever would because I grew up with the mess. But since 2005 in fall, have been having an old friend spread horse manure, lime when needed, every bit of good left-over potting soil with perlite, vermiculite, peat, and composted yard waste, azomite, one layer of deep mulched leaves, tilled in with friend's rototiller tractor, and then add another layer of leaves to cover. This year I used wheat straw all over it, a foot thick after planting. Put down cardboard, newspaper before wheat straw. AACTeas. Amazing harvests.

So, was mowing around it today, getting ready to call the guys who dump the horse "stuff" and had cleaned it up--man--I found one clump of bermuda grass and pulled, came up so easy and clean, layers of that straw still under there, tossed the grass and thought I'd dig a little. No rain in forever, and that clay soil is black underneath years of compost, horse manure, leaves, loaded with worms as dry as it's been. And it now drains well too, as clay just holds water. I have no idea how long you've been at this and it does hurt. Physically, it hurts and it's an economic investment but so worth it. I still might spread some manure but I might just have friend come till it, cover in more leaves and let it ride this year. Add more manure next fall. In short, clay gets has a bad rep but once amended, it golden. Or deep rich black. Great job!!!

damn King.. talk about preparing the soil.... its only NOVEMBER and you got your soil ready to grow!!!

Hell yes I do KD, the biggest reason it's all being done right now is so that the soil has the winter time to rebound from the tilling. I'm not going to be tilling again in the spring. It destroys the soil structure and fungal colonies as well as the homes the worms build. This way I figure it can be as good as it's going to get by the spring. I might go online and order some "Alabama Jumpers" to toss into the garden too. Still have to mulch the leaves and cover the garden for winter.

That's going to be one bad ass bed come next year!!

Well thank you Mr. P, I'm hoping so, it's going to take a couple more years to get it perfect but I'm happy with what we've done so far.

Hi King looks like you are getting off to a good start, I spent a good part of the day pulling out dead vines and burning tomato vines, I haven't decided where I want to put my pepper plants just yet. I want to sneek in a couple of melons, so I might rebuild one of my raised beds next to where my tomatos were, I have to move them to a place that gets more air flow.
I have to get a bunch of cages to help keep the plants from getting torn apart by strong winds along with getting about 20 5gal buckets and about 500 pounds of soil to fill them. I might double that amount and cut back on some of my eggplants.

Sounds like a good plan George! Making changes to the garden is always so much fun; it's a breath of fresh air....literally! Hope everything goes your way! Good luck!

King, great job!! Just excellent and damned hard work! Now, am, after moving back here from RDU area of NC where they got a lot of sand and having over 4000 sq. or more if want it to plant in, am going to sing the praises of amended clay. I couldn't believe I ever would because I grew up with the mess. But since 2005 in fall, have been having an old friend spread horse manure, lime when needed, every bit of good left-over potting soil with perlite, vermiculite, peat, and composted yard waste, azomite, one layer of deep mulched leaves, tilled in with friend's rototiller tractor, and then add another layer of leaves to cover. This year I used wheat straw all over it, a foot thick after planting. Put down cardboard, newspaper before wheat straw. AACTeas. Amazing harvests.

So, was mowing around it today, getting ready to call the guys who dump the horse "stuff" and had cleaned it up--man--I found one clump of bermuda grass and pulled, came up so easy and clean, layers of that straw still under there, tossed the grass and thought I'd dig a little. No rain in forever, and that clay soil is black underneath years of compost, horse manure, leaves, loaded with worms as dry as it's been. And it now drains well too, as clay just holds water. I have no idea how long you've been at this and it does hurt. Physically, it hurts and it's an economic investment but so worth it. I still might spread some manure but I might just have friend come till it, cover in more leaves and let it ride this year. Add more manure next fall. In short, clay gets has a bad rep but once amended, it golden. Or deep rich black. Great job!!!

Hey Annie, thanks you. It is very hard work but our bodies need that....right?....lol This is our second time working organic material into the soil. The garden was created this spring and we worked in about 8 yards of horse manure into the clay. The garden didn't do so well this year, I think what we did was a big shock to it and so late of a start that it had a negative affect on the plants this year. Towards the end of the year, they really started to take off. I think this coming spring will be 100 fold better.

Sounds like you have yourself a wonderful garden to work with and a wonderful friend as well. I'm sure you are excited to get things going again come this spring. You should start a glog for all of us to see the fruits of your labor!

Nice prep work 3/5! That bed is going to be $$$ next year!! Throw some alabama jumpers in there and you will be set, I swear by those expensive worms! LOL! All those leaves you have are perfect food for the worms. I have them everywhere now. Hit me up before you buy any, if you want to pay for shipping I am sure I can dig some out for ya! ;)

Hey Annie, thanks you. It is very hard work but our bodies need that....right?....lol This is our second time working organic material into the soil. The garden was created this spring and we worked in about 8 yards of horse manure into the clay. The garden didn't do so well this year, I think what we did was a big shock to it and so late of a start that it had a negative affect on the plants this year. Towards the end of the year, they really started to take off. I think this coming spring will be 100 fold better.

Sounds like you have yourself a wonderful garden to work with and a wonderful friend as well. I'm sure you are excited to get things going again come this spring. You should start a glog for all of us to see the fruits of your labor!

King, I'll begin my first glog (here at least) in January. I (dangit) tend to start too soon and while the peps will hold in smaller containers 2.5 x 2.5 x. 3.5 deep, the maters just won't. Thank you for your hard work on your garden, man. Each year I just increased a little space tossed some vermiculite, manure, leaf mold, azomite in fall, and wow! The pain goes away once ya canning and powdering and sharing, ya know? Of course you do; this is why we are apparently masochists! Not true: preparation, yeah.

Just beginning to share with others on here: should have quite a seed bank built up by next year. Payin' it forward, planning ahead is what you've done with that garden: an ounce of preparation (Absorbine Jr.) = tons of yield. And yes, NOW, I love, love clay soil. (Of course that has to include lying down in it in pain and praying for momentary relief from time to time :pray: ) Peace. Annie

Your 2013 is gonna be epic! Can't wait!

Epic indeed.

King, I'll begin my first glog (here at least) in January. I (dangit) tend to start too soon and while the peps will hold in smaller containers 2.5 x 2.5 x. 3.5 deep, the maters just won't. Thank you for your hard work on your garden, man. Each year I just increased a little space tossed some vermiculite, manure, leaf mold, azomite in fall, and wow! The pain goes away once ya canning and powdering and sharing, ya know? Of course you do; this is why we are apparently masochists! Not true: preparation, yeah.

Just beginning to share with others on here: should have quite a seed bank built up by next year. Payin' it forward, planning ahead is what you've done with that garden: an ounce of preparation (Absorbine Jr.) = tons of yield. And yes, NOW, I love, love clay soil. (Of course that has to include lying down in it in pain and praying for momentary relief from time to time :pray: ) Peace. Annie

Oh the pain doesn't stop there; powder in the eyes, nose, throat and many other unmentionables! Burn baby burn. Most times you get out of life what you put in....sometimes...except that time I put a dollar into the soda machine and didn't get my Dr. Pepper.....

I'm hoping I will begin to love clay soil as much as you do after this season's end. Can't wait to see your glog in 2013 Annie!

Me too, King. (The Glog . . . if I could narrow heirloom mater choices, grrr.) Again, I lived outside of Raleigh, NC. Now, we had--some say loam--I say "sand"--because when ya walk through yard barefoot, like being at beach: sandspurs. I compare how much we had to WATER in that sandy soil, and even though we had a stocked pond full of catfish, with pump, which was delightful for watering, great nutes, well, that works until ya get drought, because sandy-based soil, which is easier to work, just doesn't hold nutes or water very well. So out come the drip lines, soaker hoses, and then there are issues with . . . wells because the water table is not that deep. And if that doesn't happen, let one little potato or squash bug get in sand soil: bugs love that "texture," easy to maneuver from and come back strong! "We're growing organic" becomes, "Yes, sir: we'd like some kind of insecticide that's banned by the U.N. WMD works great." All in all, I'll take an amended clay soil any, any day.

And thank God you weren't the dude who picked up the coke machine and tossed it down 5 stories of dorm when I was a freshman in college; it took his money but look out below. We all got "free range" drinks. Or the ones that didn't burst. Peace;-) Annie

Hi King, willow water helps plants cope with hot weather and humidity, also if you have a old bag or two of hardwood charcoal break it up and add it to your soil the more the better, there is a lot of good info about this on the net. The hardwood charcoal helps to sweeten the soil just to name one thing it does, it also helps the soil bugs and earth worms. I also get big bales of straw and let ithem age during the summer and break them up and add the straw compost to the soil, the worms really love it. Alfafa pellets are great for the soil also.

I've abandoned this GLOG a little......lot....ish....lol

I do have some pictures and "happenings" to post....maybe tomorrow.

My winter adventures are coming along nicely. Hope everyone's having a great "off" season!

Your 'new' garden plot looks awesome, David. That work will pay off big time, for sure.
Sometimes I miss having a real garden plot, but gardening in containers and raised beds
is so much easier on my tired ol' back! It will be fun watching you work more magic over
the winter.

Have a great holiday season, buddy, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Getting pretty cold down here, I bet its a lot colder your way, one thing you can bet on is the more work you can do on the garden now, will mean less work in the spring.
Any luck on your Job hunt? My brother has been off work for 8 months So He's going back to college to get his teaching degree, things are tough down here job wise every body's out of work at the worst time of the year, I wish you luck.
Next month, I will be starting my super hots, I still haven't got the soil yet but have gotten my 5 gallon buckets. I need to try and get some decent seed starter Mix, and some new lights, I need
T8s or T12s to boost the amount of light as the T5s and grow lights aren't enough to do the job. Total seedlings counting tomatoes. eggplants, cukes, tomatillos, Thai basil will put me at about 400 plants maybe more if I can afford them.

Your 'new' garden plot looks awesome, David. That work will pay off big time, for sure.
Sometimes I miss having a real garden plot, but gardening in containers and raised beds
is so much easier on my tired ol' back! It will be fun watching you work more magic over
the winter.

Have a great holiday season, buddy, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thanks Paul! It is nice to have a garden plot, raised beds would be awesome. We were thinking about it but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe when we add more dirt it will finally be tall enough to where we can't put it off any longer! I'm hoping things go well this season. I have some stuff going on now in the indoor grow but keep putting off updating it. I get in a slump sometimes and don't feel like doing anything. I've been neglecting everyone else's glogs too. I'll get back on track soon enough. Hope all is well with you and yours! Merry Christmas Paul.

Getting pretty cold down here, I bet its a lot colder your way, one thing you can bet on is the more work you can do on the garden now, will mean less work in the spring.
Any luck on your Job hunt? My brother has been off work for 8 months So He's going back to college to get his teaching degree, things are tough down here job wise every body's out of work at the worst time of the year, I wish you luck.
Next month, I will be starting my super hots, I still haven't got the soil yet but have gotten my 5 gallon buckets. I need to try and get some decent seed starter Mix, and some new lights, I need
T8s or T12s to boost the amount of light as the T5s and grow lights aren't enough to do the job. Total seedlings counting tomatoes. eggplants, cukes, tomatillos, Thai basil will put me at about 400 plants maybe more if I can afford them.

No luck on the job hunt. I needed money, so I put off the job hunt for a bit and started doing something called "Turking" on Amazon.com. It's horrible pay but I made a little money to pay my bills for the month. I've also started selling some stuff on eBay. I'm doing all I can to survive these days. Damn 400 plants! That will be quite the fest you'll have going on over there. Menard's sells some good soil that I like to use called "Pro-Mix Organic with Sea Based Compost" It's in a green 1cuft bag. Like 6.99. Not bad stuff, nice and light, never compacts, holds water decently. Good luck on your seed starting, hope all goes well!

Back