• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

PhatMan Dereks Grow Log V2.0

PhatManDerek said:
What about the 3 seeds that are in buried all ready?

Reanimate them as zombie chili seeds like such...

JimiHendrix3.jpg

Cheers, TB.

My method for germinating seeds (not applicable if you have only six-eight total):

First - go to a restaurant and order more food than I can eat so I can get a nice plastic to-go box with a lid (or have my son bring me one home from work)
Drill small holes in the bottom of it. Add 1-1.5" of potting soil. I use Ferti-lome Ultimate mix and take out any big pieces. Place seeds barely in the soil, then cover with 1/4 to 1/2 inch PS. Stick in a tub of water until soaked - completely, almost like a slurry. Drain water, cover and place over a heat source. Wait 2-11 days until seeds have sprouted. As soon as the first one sprouts, the tray goes under lights.

Transplant anytime after the seedlings get their first true set of leaves, sometimes waiting until they get 3" tall or taller, usually up to the bottom leaves. It helps to water the tray a couple of days before so the mix is damp, but not wet.

If I'm growing more than one variety of a plant, I mark the side of the tray to denote different types.

Mike

PhatMan,

They can still make it, though it might take a few days more. I'm sure we have all stuck a seed more than 1/2 deep. Just don't let the PS dry out completely. It doesn't have to stay wet after the first day or two, just moist. And don't go by the top - it obviously dries first. A really crude way to tell (besides gently pushing on the soil and seeing if there is any give to it) is to fill a similar pot to the same height and feel the difference in weight.

IMO, too much is made about having to be perfect to germinate seeds. Being perfect or near perfect may increase germination, but it simply is not required. Chile pepper growers sow seeds in beds - from 3-10' wide to perhaps 100' long. Do ya reckon they make sure each seed is 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep?

Mike

wordwiz said:
PhatMan,

They can still make it, though it might take a few days more. I'm sure we have all stuck a seed more than 1/2 deep. Just don't let the PS dry out completely. It doesn't have to stay wet after the first day or two, just moist. And don't go by the top - it obviously dries first. A really crude way to tell (besides gently pushing on the soil and seeing if there is any give to it) is to fill a similar pot to the same height and feel the difference in weight.

IMO, too much is made about having to be perfect to germinate seeds. Being perfect or near perfect may increase germination, but it simply is not required. Chile pepper growers sow seeds in beds - from 3-10' wide to perhaps 100' long. Do ya reckon they make sure each seed is 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep?

Mike

Ya, but from what I was gathering, he has his seeds planted way more than a few inches down (like, near the bottom of the pot).

Txclosetgrower said:
Fill container to the top.

Poke little hole with pinky.

Insert seed.

Cover with dirt.

Water.

Keep warm.

Wait.

Check for sprouts 48 times a day.
Ok I've done all those steps properly now WOOHOO and I'm using an artificial light until the water drains then I'll move the pot to the window that has the most light!

texas blues said:
Reanimate them as zombie chili seeds like such...

JimiHendrix3.jpg

Cheers, TB.
LOL TB, Then I will have to Hire aqua teen hunger force to hunt the re animated peppers down LOL.

wordwiz said:
My method for germinating seeds (not applicable if you have only six-eight total):

First - go to a restaurant and order more food than I can eat so I can get a nice plastic to-go box with a lid (or have my son bring me one home from work)
Drill small holes in the bottom of it. Add 1-1.5" of potting soil. I use Ferti-lome Ultimate mix and take out any big pieces. Place seeds barely in the soil, then cover with 1/4 to 1/2 inch PS. Stick in a tub of water until soaked - completely, almost like a slurry. Drain water, cover and place over a heat source. Wait 2-11 days until seeds have sprouted. As soon as the first one sprouts, the tray goes under lights.

Transplant anytime after the seedlings get their first true set of leaves, sometimes waiting until they get 3" tall or taller, usually up to the bottom leaves. It helps to water the tray a couple of days before so the mix is damp, but not wet.

If I'm growing more than one variety of a plant, I mark the side of the tray to denote different types.

Mike
Hi Mike, next time I'll give that a try with my habs.

imaguitargod said:
Believe me, I wish I did...I'm still just as broke as you are ;)
Well even if I'm poor I'm still loving the move out!

wordwiz said:
PhatMan,

Mike
Thank's again Mike, but I've re done the steps posted earlier and I've came up with my own sow? Am I pronouncing it right?

Anyways I've took a plastic 2 liter bottle and cut the bottom off it and poked 5 slots in it so the seeds still can get oxygen.

Anyways here's what I've done.

474265322_knVi5-S-0.jpg

imaguitargod said:
I though we had that established? Did you get the THP field guide? It should say something about that in there...

Could be sooner could be longer.
LOL nope, Ok cool because of the make sift green house?

imaguitargod said:
I will call you Sally!!! And you will call me *!

IGG, you are one funny SOB. I literally laughed my fu*&in ass off when I read that. I do not think it would have been as funny if I would have skipped any one part of the conversation though, it was also the other post that led up to that one. Anyway thanks for the laugh. I'm still laughing when I read that and I have not been drinking.

Dale

Back