• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

Essegi said:
Pic, i was waiting for your thread, that will be epic!
And as always you have best food on THP!

Seems lots of mozzarella! :D

Invader! A beautiful one tough! :)
Essegi thanks for the kind words...

You would have to mention the Motz...now I'm craving a fresh made pizza,...... hmmm
Datil said:
Excellent start and setup Greg!
February sowing sounds good to me.

Good luck!

Datil
Thanks Fabrizio,
My last frost date is around the middle of May. I'm hoping to get most of the plants outside to harden off by then...under a hoop frame that is.
stc3248 said:
Ahhh...all is right in the pepper world. Greg is starting seeds and showing all us commoners how it's done. Best of luck this season chili-master!
Ahhh...Haaa

Things are good here, no complaints from me ..nor my wife....hehe
Shucks if there were any commoners or noob's that want to stop here just take everything with a grain of pepper-salt...cause I'm still learning and trying to perfect this crazy hobby.

Shane best of the west with you grow this year !
Jamison said:
Yea buddy!  Been waiting for this to pop up!  Let the games begin.  What is all that white stuff on top of your containers, lol?!
Cool man, ....the garden Olympics...can't wait for the Bonnets to start popping outdoors.

White stuff ? (Soon they forget)... Just like Essegi said," It's Mozzarella di Bufala" ...if you need some I can send it in a cooler with dry ice cause it may melt in your climate...bwahahahaha

PIC 1 said:
White stuff ? (Soon they forget)... Just like Essegi said," It's Mozzarella di Bufala" ...if you need some I can send it in a cooler with dry ice cause it may melt in your climate...bwahahahaha

If it falls from the sky, wouldn't that make it manna from heaven? ;) We got "blessed" with about 6 inches yesterday... how much did you get in shy-town?

PIC 1 said:
thanks for the comments...

The first swimmers in the pool......These seeds spent 2 days in the tea under the flouros. Ambient temperature under the lights is 73 deg.
Once drained and trayed in the seed starting medium I'll then dunk another round for a few more trays. This will be an ongoing process through the first week.

The Hoffmans seed starting medium gets pre  soaked the night before in 5 gal buckets. As some up you may remember I use a chop stick to apply the planting hole 1/4" deep. The seed when placed in sits about an 1/8" from the top. I like to keep the hole centered rather than scattering a few seeds about in the cell. When it comes time to transplant I'm able to pry and pull from the stem and remove the seedling with the rootball intact. Nobody want to have the stem in the corner and the rootball on the otherside....that certainly leads to root damage. A damaged root system to a small plug that size usually never recovers to max potential.

Not actually an "Operation".............."No need to remive the funny bone"..........ha  
 Just dropping the 1st seed in the tray. I'm use to using tweezers, sutures, and occasional roach clip. .............har har
You can easily drop the seeds in with your fingers, but, I never have one sticking to the tweezers as they can with the fingers ...they just drop in the hole.

I have 8 trays loaded up resting on two 4ft heating mats covered with thick towels. no thermostst used but only timers set at 1 hr on/one hr off for 24hr cycles. The temp of the mats combined with the overheads lights should be sufficent for the germination. The ambient temperature away from the grow are is 64 deg............Oh, and as usually my bud Sunny is hanging around grow. He has a real treat when the germination mats are on.

Ah.........first born....."It's an Indian"...........not the wild kind but the "Bhut Jolokia"......or as we use to call it , the "Ghost Pepper". Does anyone refer it to that anymore? The odd thing about this is the hook is from the 3rd tray seeded, only 4 days ago. These seeds were from a 2011 stock from the U.K. None of the 1st two trays have any yet after 6 days.......I know, I know..........tomorrow's a new day and quit looking 2 to 3 times daily....ha

i'm out of grow area shots, so I'll share a meal...what a deal.

Here's a couple Hawaiian Yellowfin Tuna portions that I blackened , part for a superbowl appetizer and the rest for a weeknight salad. I used my blackening rub alon with PaulG's "Naga Bee" powder.

For the salad I grilled some tri-color Asparagus, Endive, Jalapeno's, Asian Chili's, Manzano, Shallots, Scallions  and Cherry Tomato Medley...veg marinade consisted of dry herbs Olive Oil and Coconut Vinegar

It pays to keep the knives sharpened at all time, especially to glaze a thin slice of fish or meat. It's the dull knife that can turn on you and cause an injury

Here's the plating with Wasabi and Siracha Crema's....and an island brew

Thanks for checking this glog out. Hopefully next update my trays will have the leaves to show.

Thanks buddy !

Thanks Mike.....likewise
You are making me hungry!!! Master Gardener and Master Chef-nice work

stickman said:

If it falls from the sky, wouldn't that make it manna from heaven? ;) We got "blessed" with about 6 inches yesterday... how much did you get in shy-town?

Rick depending on the vicinity the snowfall ranged from 3 to 9". It jazzed the airports up, once again.
I'm about 8 miles from Lake Michigan and when the storm roll through we also get the tail end of it (lake effect snow). We probably got the 7" but the drifting from the winds mounded it up almost double. Did you ever bucket up the snow and use the melted water for your seedlings ?

The big issue now is the cold weather, we're once again in the (-) with the wind chill. Our transportation fleet uses salt on the roadways and have just about depleted the amount stored for the season. It might end up like "bumper cars" on the interstates if we get a heavy whiteout of snow.
Nightshade said:
What are you growing this year? and wow totally envious of your setup!!
I haven't upgraded my list from last year yet (which is in my profile). I'm trying to grow the same with a few extra varieties. Once everything is up and healthy I'll post what I'm planting in my garden.

I'm here. Sorry I'm a little late to the party. Had I seen the thread last night, I wold have chimed in sooner.

As usual Greg, you will be showing us again how we are all amateurs and you are the master. 

Got a list of what and how many you are growing this year?

Jeff H said:
I'm here. Sorry I'm a little late to the party. Had I seen the thread last night, I wold have chimed in sooner.

As usual Greg, you will be showing us again how we are all amateurs and you are the master. 

Got a list of what and how many you are growing this year?
Jeff....it's never too late to party. I'm amazed at how many glogs there are this year. It might get tough for alot of folks to read through, yet make a comment or response due to the interest this yr.

I'll probably post a list next week. I believe all the c.chinense are planted. I'll have to check my charts to tally the varieties.
Thanks for stopping in.
stickman said:

No, I never did, but now you've got me thinking... :think:
You'd be amazed at the results. Probably lower then tap water with the ph, but as long as your not using straight peat then things would be fine. I've done so in the past for the seedlings and 3" pots when my grow was much less. It takes a few 5 gal buckets of snow to get a gallon or two of water, but if you're only feeding a tray or two or better yet using it a sprayer (+ nutes) it would make a nice foliar feed.
I've never seen bad results from rain....ha, nor snow

i love the light setup and seed sowing technique... i need to do things your way.. as it is evident you are very successful.... and what weekly post wouldnt have a foodie pic things look great

Geez Louise! We got plastered with a foot of snow last Wednesday and another foot this Thursday... I'm gonna scoop some of it up in buckets to melt inside and water the plants with it... I don't usually smell any Chlorine in our tap water, but I'm smelling it lately, so I might as well take advantage of current conditions... Thanks for the idea!

Based on what I saw in last year's glog, this is gonna be agood one.
And the tuna and veggies with the wassabi looked spectacular!
I'm in. 

Time for an overdue update of sorts............and plant photos too......... :D

The indoor grow has been on back burner, bottom of the list lately. Projects and side work has kept me pre-occupied. Luckily the plants have been on auto pilot and have been moving along with an occasional watering and the routine pot ups to larger containers.

Here's part of our central skyline about a week back. Lake Michigan was still frozen.....just ask "Jimmy Fallon" about that one when he did the Polar Plunge here.....Spring must be just around the corner, there are buds on the trees and I've noticed some of my perennials breaking ground.

Ha....we also have a green river, well at least during St Pat's weekend when they dye the river..
Ok, enough with the city shots, here's what's happening.........pepper related

First off, every year All-American Selections sends me seeds to try, some bedding plants and an assortment of vegtables including pepper seeds.
Most of these are available to the consumer this yr, but a few won't be released until next season. Even though I am swamped with seed packets I'll still find room in the grow for most of these. 

A little eye catching contrast .........that's an MoA...by the way.

A shot from the outside looking in.  The aluminet is highly reflective yet lets the air flow, especially for the fans. At this point I have almost 2/3's of my shelve lighting fired up. The top shelf has trays of 5" containers while the middle shelf has the seedling inserts. The bottom shelf at this point only has a few fixtures lit with flower cuttings. No MH lights on ...yet, but the Tomato seeds get started this week and with more pot ups all the space will be utilized.

Tovarii seedling...only took 30 days to emerge. The temps in the grow area went from the initial 65 deg to over 80 under the lights.

A couple of Galapagoense showing progress. I planted 6 seeds in individual  inserts around the 1st of Feb. After 30 days of no-shows I planted a few more. Oddly enough after 40 days not only the original seed sprouted but 2 days after the reseed emerged. Since then I have a few more coming up. Moral of the story..........keep the soil temp around a steady 80 degree range.

A Purple Pequin...I'm looking forward to these and the Chiltepins...........chili powder !

Rootzone is a bit dry but the plant needs to be moved into a 5" container (2nd pot up). Original seed started in a 72 cell flat, moved to a 21 cell starsert, now into a 5".

I've got a few of Jamie's (Romy6) NagaBrains....via Gary (windchicken). I'm intending to grow these both inground and containers, direct sun and 3/4 shade. Some varieties will grow better with afternoon shade.......even the hottest varieties.

a few more photo's shortly...

Back