• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

thanks....

One tray done, many more to go. Once again I'm using cable ties to lable the plants. I like to keep my T8 lights within an inch to the plant tops. Plant tags stuck in the dirt inhibit that unless they're miniture......... :lol:
There's also a coffee filter placed in the bottom of the container. Since I bottom water, the filter helps prevent soil loss from the pot. Outside I will be using a double layer of landscaping fabric. Burlap or frost barrier cloth will also work .

A recent pot up from the 72 seed flat into the 21 cell starsert. The seedlings were dunked into a root stimulator and placed into a mix of Happy Frog and ProMix. Within 3 weeks these will get moved into the 5 inchers. 

A mix of Jamaican Habs, MoA's and other Scotch Bonnet strains from Jamaica

Another tray of many varieties. These were the second round of peppers  started the 3rd week in Feb. I still have 8 weeks to go, last frost date is ariound the 17th of May. I like to wait a few days after that, unless the Spring is unseasonablity HOT !

Mostly c.chinense with a few pubes............. :lol:  These will be moving into new homes sometime this week.

There he is again, my bud Sunny always looking for my attention............I just pretended I didnt see him............. :stop: ........... :D

Some Oxide Bonnets, 7 Pots, and a couple of Piri-Piri's

Charapita's, NagaBrainsand a few more Oxide Bonnets..seeds courtesy of Mike (capsidadburn)

Ha....ok my eyes are getting bad...that time of the night, empty glass and all....hah
There's a 7 Pot.......and a Fatalii x Savina.........that one I like. Third year growing them from Brian (Justaguy). The plants produce heaps of identical shaped pods.

One of many MoA's....I always say that I'll grow many Bonnet varieties...and I do, but not as many as I'd like. This may be the year.....20 MoA's alone, plus all the rest........Jerk Chicken....and away we go !

a few more, sooner or later

thanks again...

Those who followed my Glog last year may have remembered when Better Homes and Gardens came out to do a photoshoot and story. Well it's in the April issue. Although unlike the last.. this article doesn't focus on my garden,   ,  the photos were taking in the yard and the interview  came from me........pretty cool to say the least

The seedling shelf and ist pot ups. It's so warm on the shelf I let the pizza dough proof there......seriously

some more hodge-podge...............low maintaince at this stage...........just don't let them dry out.

Overhead shot.......it's easier to remove the trays and set them on the basement floor to foliar feed. Once dry they get put back under the sun-lamps.........flouros

The T8's ballasts and bulbs run a bit cooler than the T5's . That allows me to bring the plant tips to within........well almost touching the bulbs. Results are dense growth as shown here. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have all T5's but the cost of a box of 100 bulbs even at contractors price is more than I'm willing to dish out. The T5's are comprable to my metal halides....maybe one of these days I will convert...........heh

8 weeeeeeks to go.....these will be more than ready to harden off outdoors........Next year I might just startup the 2nd week in Feb.....it's do able

out of plant shots but here's a food shot and one of my favorite sandwich's any time of day.....or night.

I've always got the Peanut Butter, Fluff and Nutella in the cabinet, Banana's and Dryed Scotch Bonnets and the counter....add some grainey toasted bread and.......

Melt down the Nutella with 4 tbls of Whipping Cream....add the "love"....ground Yellow Scotch Bonnets....mix addind additional liquid if needed

Toast Bread and spread Peanut Butter on one slice topped with sliced Banana's. Spread marshmellow Fluff on the other slice and top with additional Bonnet powder. 

Pour over or dip in......the sauce does the trick......

hope to be back in a week or two with an update,
thanks for checking this out...

JJJessee said:
Far.out!
Some great photos, and nice looking peppers. 
 +1 on the MoA shot.

Thanks, just trying to keep things interesting
Roguejim said:
Can someone give me accurate details about Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix?  What I mean is, what does it contain?  This GLOG is required viewing.  I'm stunned, thus far!

Hoffmans has fine screen perlite, whereas most seedstaring mix has medium grade. I believe it also has a good amount of vermiculite added for aeration and water absorption.

Awesome glog.  I was wondering about T8s and how close you can have them, my question was answered.  With the dense growth your getting, would you top your plants?

Peanut butter and fluff is the way I go with it.  Ate many of those in my day.

Your plants are looking and doing wonderful.  I believe we are on the same time table.  Mid February for me as well next season.

Awesome pics as usual Greg! Looks like our weather and our Chinense starts are about even, but I'm sure that'll change soon...  ;)
I'll have to check out the magazine article, and love the banana sammie! Looks like all's right with the world in shy-town. Cheers!

Outstanding pics Greg. Your grow room setup has to be one of the more impressive setups here. I like it.

When all your lights are fired up, how many watts are you pulling?

WOW, glad I found this one! Your pictures are epic, and you truely know what you are doing. I was born in Elgin and lived in Woodstock for four years.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I look forward to learning.

Rymerpt

Glad to see everything is going well Greg!

Just tons of healthy plants there, can't wait to see the progress this season.

Those grow benches are the sh!t!, Wish I had the room, no basement. If I did have the room I'm sure I would overload my space.

Gonna pick up a copy and read the interview.

Keep it green and hoping for an early spring!

Epic grow again my friend. Wouldn't expect anything less from you and your plants are looking gorgeous. Gotta try getting a cat to pose like Sunny for me, they aren't so photogenic over here ;)

Greg - looking good!  Mine are just starting to break ground- I am at least 2-3 weeks behind schedule.  Good luck on your 2014 growing season.

Yaargh! said:
Awesome glog.  I was wondering about T8s and how close you can have them, my question was answered.  With the dense growth your getting, would you top your plants?

You can place the plants as close as 1/2" from the bulbs......at least thats the way I do it. As the plants grow and fork out the lights may need to be raised daily. If  you're spraying the foliage with liquid try to apply at the end of the light cycle or remove the plants from the grow area to avoid tip burn from the chemicals.

I don't bother topping these starter plants...although I've cut back overwinters  in the past to keep them in place during the indoor winter grow.
HillBilly Jeff said:
Peanut butter and fluff is the way I go with it.  Ate many of those in my day.

Your plants are looking and doing wonderful.  I believe we are on the same time table.  Mid February for me as well next season.

Yep.....that sandwich can cure the munchies or bring relief to a hangover......... :D

We're probably also  in the same Zone 5a/b....next year I'll be starting mid Feb with the c.chinense and 2 weeks later with the annuums. I'm even starting the Tomatoes, Cukes and Summer Squash later this season. We've had temps in the upper 30's in May the last two yrs. 
stickman said:
Awesome pics as usual Greg! Looks like our weather and our Chinense starts are about even, but I'm sure that'll change soon...  ;)
I'll have to check out the magazine article, and love the banana sammie! Looks like all's right with the world in shy-town. Cheers!

Thanks Rick.........you're too kind, I'm sure some of your plants have flowers on them by now.
Spring will be here soon, best of luck with the outdoor startup....
Jeff H said:
Outstanding pics Greg. Your grow room setup has to be one of the more impressive setups here. I like it.

When all your lights are fired up, how many watts are you pulling?

Thanks Jeff.........I try to keep the setup organized....this year the two grow areas had to be condensed into one location....in the sub-basement.

If I had all lights powered up it would be over 5kW. ....balanced between 3-20a and 1-15a circuit. That amount would be including 3-400w MH lights which I hope will not be needed. 
romy6 said:
 You got it going on per usual Greggy pooh.  :dance:  :dance:
:D ................ :clap: ..............................bounce......bounce...bounce...................bounce......................Go Gators !
Jamison said:
Never cease to amaze me Greg! Looking good as usual man!

Hey Jamison...thanks, what started up a slow grow, now has me calculating the next move with space for the pot ups.......C'mon Spring...

Rymerpt said:
WOW, glad I found this one! Your pictures are epic, and you truely know what you are doing. I was born in Elgin and lived in Woodstock for four years.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I look forward to learning.

Rymerpt

Cool !.......I use to have an A-frame in Lake Geneva and made many trips year round through Hebron and Woodstock....down rt 47......... radar detectors were convienent during those days......

Here's last seasons glog if you want to check it out...

PIC 1's............Pod-ography.............2013

Nulle said:
I'll take 2 of those sandwiches and beautiful Sunny (which is also the name of one of my cats), please. ;)

:cool: .............thanks for the words.........I have 2 other cats, but Sunny knows where the action and he's always at my side....or under my feet...

How many cats do you have ?
Devv said:
Glad to see everything is going well Greg!

Just tons of healthy plants there, can't wait to see the progress this season.

Those grow benches are the sh!t!, Wish I had the room, no basement. If I did have the room I'm sure I would overload my space.

Gonna pick up a copy and read the interview.

Keep it green and hoping for an early spring!

Thanks Scott, ...things are shaping up....no stress, nor frustation and not one bug........hmmm....... , somethings not right......... :lol:

Ha, just kiddin....I can't wait for the warm weather. This will be a seed saving year with some isolation since my stock is running low. Last year I only saved seeds from a few select varieties. Also looking forward to the sauce making and grilling/roasting peppers for an occasional dinner.
buddy said:
Greg - looking good!  Mine are just starting to break ground- I am at least 2-3 weeks behind schedule.  Good luck on your 2014 growing season.

Hey Terry,..I wish I started a couple weeks later than I did..........I plan to leave the plants indoors until early May...that is, unless we get a super early Spring............... :pray:

Same here, best of the midwest with your outdoor startup..........Go Illini 1
meatfreak said:
Epic grow again my friend. Wouldn't expect anything less from you and your plants are looking gorgeous. Gotta try getting a cat to pose like Sunny for me, they aren't so photogenic over here ;)

Thanks Stefan.......earlier I transplanted a few Orande Blobs and a couple Hand Grenades.......I should go back to the grow area.....but this is more fun answering the responses...and cleaner..............ha

Back