Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap

Good Morning!
While impatiently waiting for my chinense and baccatum seeds to sprout, I started researching germination times. Here is some information I located on the Trade Winds Fruit website. Thought you guys might be interested.

Peppers species: Capsicum annuum
Germination Time: 1 week- 2 months
Difficulty level: E = Easy (fast, requires little pretreament or experience with seeds, may germinate under widely variable conditions)
Seed Depth: 1/2"
Soil Temp: 75-85F

Notes: Variable. In warm soil (75F), many C. annuum peppers (the most common type) will germinate within a couple of weeks. Tepin and Pequin peppers are the trickiest, generally taking 3-6 months to germinate in warm soil. Do not use acidic soil.

Pepper Species: Capsicum baccatum
Germination time: 2 weeks- 2 months
Difficulty Level: Easy
Seed Depth: 1/2"
Notes: Variable. In warm soil (75F), many will germinate within 2-4 weeks.

Pepper species: Capsicum chinense
Germination time: 3 weeks- 3 months
Difficulty level: E - M = Moderate (slower to germinate (possibly a month or more), but still easy under typical conditions and requires minimal experience germinating seeds)
Planting Depth: 1/2"

Notes: Variable. Chinense species (e.g. Habanero's) generally take longer to germinate than most common peppers. Germination is slower, but usually consistant after a few weeks. Keep soil warm to very warm (75-90F) for better germination. Do not use acidic soil. Some Chinense peppers, in particular Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich and related peppers are very slow to germinate, averaging 1-4 months germination time.

Pepper species: Capsicum eximium
Germination time: 3-12 weeks
Difficulty Level: E-M

Notes: Variable. Use warm (75-90F) soil. Seeds are typically slower than standard garden peppers to germinate and may take up to a few months. Warmth and humidity speeds germination.

Pepper species: Capsicum frutescens
Germination time: 2 weeks - 2 months
Difficulty Level: E

Notes: Variable. In warm soil (75F), many will germinate within 2-4 weeks.

Pepper species: Capsicum pubescens
Germination time: 1-3 months
Difficulty Level: E

Notes: Manzano type peppers usually take up to 2-3 months to germinate under ideal conditions.

Today is day 14, and I see plenty of tails, but no hooks yet. Most of what I've grown in the past have been annums, and germination usually starts on day 10 for me without a heat source. I was worried I had sown them too early, but now I'm glad that I did!

How's everyone else's germination coming along?

There is still time to sign up for this swap, as long as your seeds reach me by the 28th. There are now 25 participants in the swap, and I have already received a nice selection. Plus, a donation arrived today.

Here is a list of THP participants so far. An * by your name means that I have received your envelope.

Wrightdaddy
* Stickman
Prehensile
Fiogga
Hixs
Tinley244

A couple of people emailed/messaged me their list of what they are sending in, and their wishlist. This is helpful to me, as I can just copy and paste it into the spreadsheet I am using to keep track of the swap. If you've already mailed your envelope with a written list instead, that is fine too.

Received another envelope today.

There is still time to sign up for this swap, as long as your seeds reach me by the 28th. There are now 26 participants in the swap, and I have already received a nice selection.

Here is a list of THP participants so far. An * by your name means that I have received your envelope.

Wrightdaddy
* Stickman
Prehensile
Fiogga
Hixs
Tinley244

There is still time to sign up for this swap, as long as your seeds reach me by the 28th. There are now 27 participants in the swap.

Received three envelopes today, two of them were donations.

Wrightdaddy
* Stickman
Prehensile
Fiogga
Hixs
* Tinley244
Xcsports

I finally have my first sprouts up - Aji Yellow, Aji Angelo, Aji Picante, and Cachucha. Planning on sowing the annums this week.

Hope everyone's grow is off to a great start!

Received 3 more envelopes today. Entering everything into a spreadsheet to make sorting easier, so if you want to message me, or email me your list of seeds (even if you haven't mailed yet), along with your wishlist, I can do some presorting even before your seeds arrive.

I'd say there's probably another week to sign up and still have your seeds reach me in time.

Count me in on this, I'd love to give it a try.

I've got a few saved back from last year that I can share around.

Welcome, Emrikol and TastyPeps! Check your messages for my mailing address.

Wrightdaddy
* Stickman
Prehensile
Fiogga (Your postage arrived, still waiting on the other package)
Hixs
* Tinley244
Xcsports
Emrikol
TastyPeps

That brings the total number of participants up to 29.

Fiogga, your seeds arrived today. Very nice selection!

The total number of participants is now 30. Deadline for getting your seeds to me is February 28th, which is now 10 business days away. If you haven't already mailed, you may want to start getting your seeds packaged up.

Speaking of packages, I have hosted swaps for several years now, but this is the first time that I have had numerous people send a bubble envelope inside of a bubble envelope. Please don't go to this extra expense. If it is a bubble envelope, just send a return address label. I will reuse the original mailer. I always keep packing tape on hand, so your seeds will be secure on their trip home : )

On the other hand, I also had someone send seeds in a regular envelope with no bubble wrap around the seed packets. This is not a good idea either. Regular envelopes go through a machine that can crush the seeds if they are not padded with something.

Okay, I'm done scolding now, LOL! I just want everyone to get their seeds back safely, and with as little cost as possible.

LOL I entered over on the other forum. But I was one of the bubble envelope inside of a bubble envelope people. =(

It made the package especially bulky with the 17 (if I remember right) packets of seed @,@

I guessed at postage as well. First time entering a swap like this.

Ken

Hi Ken, your package arrived today!

Wrightdaddy
* Stickman
Prehensile
* Fiogga
Hixs
* Tinley244
Xcsports
Emrikol
TastyPeps

I'll be sending out reminders today, for those whose packages I have not yet received.

For anyone still trying to decide whether or not to join, there are 6 postal delivery days left before the deadline.

For those of you that have not mailed yet, please try to have your package on its way by the end of the week, in order to make it here by the 28th. If you have not signed up yet, but can get your seeds packed up in the next day or two, then please don't hesitate to join.

No envelopes in today's mail.

Reminders went out yesterday, and I think I've heard back from almost everyone.

Well, back to researching peppers, and sorting seeds for me!

Bonnie

Sorry due to health reasons and recent hospitalization I wasn't able to get mine out in time maybe next time. Sorry for any trouble this may have caused.

No worries, Chuck. Hope you are feeling better now. My spouse was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago, and is still not 100% yet. Unfortunately, we just don't bounce back as quickly when we get older. Best wishes on your recovery!

I received one envelope today. So far, I've received over 300 packs of seeds, not counting the donations! Woohoo!

Current list (* = received):

* Stickman
Prehensile
* Fiogga
Hixs
* Tinley244
Xcsports
Emrikol
TastyPeps

For those of you whose envelopes I haven't yet received, it would speed up the sorting process, if I already had your lists. If you get a chance, please PM me the list of what is being sent, and your wishlist. Thanks!

When the 28th gets here, I will wait for any envelopes that I know are in route. Anyone whose package has not arrived by then, and has not contacted me yet, I'll have to assume that you have dropped out.

Love your enthusiasm, Ken!

I'll tally up the varieties at the end of the swap. Right now my focus is on identifying what has been sent in, so that I can match them up with people's wishlists. There's been a few issues with spelling, which makes the research process much slower.

Back