• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Picklese...You Have To Try This!!!

I just made 2 batches of this. Amazing.
It was recommended to me by a Haitian friend of mine.
The idea is to keep replenishing the same jar as contents get low.
Have to keep everything under the vinegar. Enjoy.

Picklese
Pikliz - Vinaigre Piquant

by Mirta Yurnet-Thomas

Pikliz, or pickled scotch bonnet peppers, is used to give flavor to many dishes.
It is also placed on the table at mealtime so that you can sprinkle as much as you want over your food. Every Haitian kitchen has pikliz in the cupboard or refrigerator.

Yield: Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:

6 Scotch bonnet peppers
2 cups thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
½ cup thinly sliced or shredded carrots
¼ cup thinly sliced or shredded onion
¼ cup green peas (frozen)
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
8 to 10 peppercorns (optional)
3 cups vinegar
Method:
Snip off the stem of the peppers, cut each into 4 pieces, and keep the seeds.
Place hot peppers, cabbage, carrots, onion, green peas, cloves, salt, and peppercorns in a quart-size jar, then add the vinegar.
Close jar tightly and let sit at least 24-48 hours before using. Once you commence using it, store in the refrigerator.
It lasts for months.

So now my question is do you just refill the jar when it's empty? Boil the juice or sterilize the jar in between?

My understanding, and my experience, dictates that all you have to do is add new ingredients whenever it is low.
I keep mine in the fridge, and have never had a problem. I just throw in extra cabbage, peppers, onions, peas, vinegar, salt, etc. whenever it gets low.
No boiling necessary as far as I have seen.

Glad the heat mellowed. It's such a cool condiment! I'm glad to know about it, and even happier that so many others have tried it.

Made a batch two nights ago. Tried it on a s Ike's sausage today and must say wow truly awesome. I substituted 3ghost peppers in mine and definitely tingles the lips. Thanks for the recipe.

Made a batch two nights ago. Tried it on a s Ike's sausage today and must say wow truly awesome. I substituted 3ghost peppers in mine and definitely tingles the lips. Thanks for the recipe.

See how it feels after a week or two …
My first I made with some brain strains, it was great at 48 hrs, at two weeks, it was so hot, could barely stand it … luckily, wasn't much left by then. Tasty stuff.

BUMP! BUMP! BUMP!
This thread needs a major wake-up.
For all of you who don't know what it is, read from the beginning. One of the top 10 recipes to turn into a family tradition.
As good as hot sauces are, they are very time-consuming. The only time you worry about with this is how long can you wait before opening the jar :party:

So glad you gave it a bump! I'm making some right now! Going to have to use orange habs tho... I live in a tiny town in the mountains and your lucky to find jalapeños at the grocery. I've got some orange habs left in the fridge " I got em about a week ago two towns over" that I used to steep in tequila lol. I'm making pulled pork next weekend and I'm sure this will blow the top of on the flavor! If I can keep it that long by the sound of it lol

Well I just finished! I got 3 quarts, 3 pints, and I took the leftovers after I ran out if peas and put em in a 2 1/2 quart pickle jar! I ran out of habs also so I've only got 8 in the big jar. I'd post pics but I'm not to phone or computer savy "Ive never had a computer! And this is my 1st smart phone" so I don't know how to post pics, I took some but don't know what to do with them! Either way thanks for the recipe and I can't wait to try it!

So I woke up this morning and dove right in! Its not even done and its awesome! I made the family bacon sandwiches for breakfast, and two lbs of bacon and a quart of picklese later we're full! Think I'm going to go hotter next time... even the youngin thought it was kinda mild!

Made a couple jars last week for the Easter family gathering. Don't have scotch bonnets yet so did my faithful habs and bhuts combo. Lucky I thought to make a quart of picklese using hawaiian chili peppers instead for the not-so-tolerant family members. That jar and another quart disappeared before sundown. They even used the vinegar to pour on the fish, chicken, ribs, steak, and even on the potato salad. Someone saved the rest of the juice to pickle his hard boiled eggs in.  I think he's onto something, "Picklesed Eggs" has a nice ring to it. I'm so glad I found this recipe here. Now I gotta stock up on bigger pickle jars and mayo jars. Might have to upgrade to food grade buckets if the family keeps at me.
THP rocks!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Time for a BUMP! 

Needed something to do on a sunny rainy Saturday, other than watch the smoke plumes grow...so I decided to FINALLY make this.  I made a big batch, planning to take some over to the NW Chilefest campout next month.  I also had some pickled beets that weren't getting used, so I decided to make a regular picklese and a purple-eze. 
IMG_4561.JPG

The store didn't have any habs or even red fresnos, so I used some Korean red pepper flakes and 7 Pot Jonah powder for a bit of heat.  We'll see how hot it gets, I figure I can add more later if needed.

The Purple-eze-
purple cabbage, pickled beets, carrot and garlic, onion, garbanzo beans, 4 jars with red wine vinegar, and a tub with white vinegar
IMG_4559.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG

The Green-
cabbage, onion, carrot and garlic, peas, 1 jar with white wine vinegar, all the rest with white vinegar
IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

IMG_4572.JPG

A fire down valley, one of many around our area...again....
IMG_4577.JPG

the cat hanging out with us in the field
IMG_4583.JPG

Thanks, Hawaiianero,  the chick peas are turning a nice purple color like I'd hoped.  :)

The white vinegar batch is a bit sharp straight out of the crock.  I'm definitely liking the white and red wine vinegars.  The purple one with white vinegar is a bit milder because there was some sugar in the beets, and also the natural sugar of the beets.

Tonight's dinner....(sorry for the crappy photo...Food's gone before I realized about the lousy pic :lol: )
IMG_4590.JPG

Back