• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Picklese...You Have To Try This!!!

I just made 2 batches of this. Amazing.
It was recommended to me by a Haitian friend of mine.
The idea is to keep replenishing the same jar as contents get low.
Have to keep everything under the vinegar. Enjoy.

Picklese
Pikliz - Vinaigre Piquant

by Mirta Yurnet-Thomas

Pikliz, or pickled scotch bonnet peppers, is used to give flavor to many dishes.
It is also placed on the table at mealtime so that you can sprinkle as much as you want over your food. Every Haitian kitchen has pikliz in the cupboard or refrigerator.

Yield: Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:

6 Scotch bonnet peppers
2 cups thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
½ cup thinly sliced or shredded carrots
¼ cup thinly sliced or shredded onion
¼ cup green peas (frozen)
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
8 to 10 peppercorns (optional)
3 cups vinegar
Method:
Snip off the stem of the peppers, cut each into 4 pieces, and keep the seeds.
Place hot peppers, cabbage, carrots, onion, green peas, cloves, salt, and peppercorns in a quart-size jar, then add the vinegar.
Close jar tightly and let sit at least 24-48 hours before using. Once you commence using it, store in the refrigerator.
It lasts for months.

...anyone else have their garlic turn blue??? Was a little concerned as the only other food item that I know of that turns blue when bruised is a 'mushroom' that I'd prefer not to eat.

Yes, garlic turns blue/grey/green in a lot of things I've pickled.  In the latest batches of pickled things I've done, I'm trying to use smaller pieces, minced instead of sliced or whole, so hopefully that discoloration won't be as noticeable.  I'm not sure if I've ever heard of a cure for the discoloration...anyone?.....Someone?......   

Prolly should JayT that.....

(to JayT something is to do some internet research on said topic~  Strictly a THP term...;)  )

Thanks for the info re garlic.  That's going to be difficult to deal with when buying commercially processed fresh garlic.  There is no way to know if the garlic is green or mature.  I'll try the parboil technique on the next projects. 

yes, it needs to mellow.  It is very sharp[ right off the bat. 

You can look for the cloves that start to have the little green sprout (germ) coming out this would mean that its mature as well. Kind of a PIA when you want pickle to look for the right clove.

Nom Nom Nom
20150927_130015.jpg

Back