• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Picklese...You Have To Try This!!!

I just made 2 batches of this. Amazing.
It was recommended to me by a Haitian friend of mine.
The idea is to keep replenishing the same jar as contents get low.
Have to keep everything under the vinegar. Enjoy.

Picklese
Pikliz - Vinaigre Piquant

by Mirta Yurnet-Thomas

Pikliz, or pickled scotch bonnet peppers, is used to give flavor to many dishes.
It is also placed on the table at mealtime so that you can sprinkle as much as you want over your food. Every Haitian kitchen has pikliz in the cupboard or refrigerator.

Yield: Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:

6 Scotch bonnet peppers
2 cups thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
½ cup thinly sliced or shredded carrots
¼ cup thinly sliced or shredded onion
¼ cup green peas (frozen)
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
8 to 10 peppercorns (optional)
3 cups vinegar
Method:
Snip off the stem of the peppers, cut each into 4 pieces, and keep the seeds.
Place hot peppers, cabbage, carrots, onion, green peas, cloves, salt, and peppercorns in a quart-size jar, then add the vinegar.
Close jar tightly and let sit at least 24-48 hours before using. Once you commence using it, store in the refrigerator.
It lasts for months.

JohnsMyName said:
What are everyone's thoughts on preserving this? I'd like to make as gifts, but needing to stay cold kinda sucks. Maybe boil liquid and pour in/cap very quickly, refrigerate after opening. Thoughts?
With the amount of vinegar used this should be shelf stable. But even then I'd hot pack and water bath for ten minutes for safety. But that's only if I was shipping some.

oldsalty said:
With the amount of vinegar used this should be shelf stable. But even then I'd hot pack and water bath for ten minutes for safety. But that's only if I was shipping some.

I know the pH would be good, but with all the vegetable matter in there, I could see an issue if it wasn't kept submerged.

I like the idea of hot pack and water bath, but with thin sliced veggies, I wouldn't want them to get mushy or soft. That's why I was thinking boiling liquid, hot pack, seal.

JohnsMyName said:
I know the pH would be good, but with all the vegetable matter in there, I could see an issue if it wasn't kept submerged.

I like the idea of hot pack and water bath, but with thin sliced veggies, I wouldn't want them to get mushy or soft. That's why I was thinking boiling liquid, hot pack, seal.
Not sure brother. My grandmother always told me if the veg your canning even pickles need to be water bath prepped to be safe. Just add some pickle crisp or grape leaves for preserving crispness. Pour hot brine over picklese raw then bath. Never have mushy pickles. :) Just don't want to see you get sick brother. :) but maybe I'm wrong. Just the method I've always used.

oldsalty said:
Not sure brother. My grandmother always told me if the veg your canning even pickles need to be water bath prepped to be safe. Just add some pickle crisp or grape leaves for preserving crispness. Pour hot brine over picklese raw then bath. Never have mushy pickles. :) Just don't want to see you get sick brother. :) but maybe I'm wrong. Just the method I've always used.

Thanks for advice Salty!

SavinaRed said:
try and substitute green onions for color with the peas.
Hahaha I thought the same but it seems the turn into little burst of yuuummmm!!! I think I will keep them in their. Hmmmm hope I like them!
But I do love green onions!!! :)

Going to be making a new batch, my family is really good about letting me know when they're out of it. Think I'm going to try making a fermented version too this time. Just to see how it comes out. Process and pics will be posted so stay tuned campers.

Oh, about the changing color of garlic, in my RocketMan's Theriac I use 3 pounds of raw garlic and haven't had this problem. The sauce comes out this kind of cream color. With 3 pounds of garlic I use the pre-peeled jars so it could be that letting the garlic get a little age on it does the trick. KAT also mentioned in the Theriac thread that using distilled water will help prevent it from changing color. Just some thoughts I wanted to share

Cheers Brothers

My versions of the OP's recipe.
I used Bishop Crown peppers.
I did use Wasabi frozen peas.

Picklese_zps8xe7klwq.jpg

I made this a few weeks ago and liked it but seemed to have too much straight up vinegar bite. Tried it again using half regular and half apple cider vinegar. What a difference! (to me at least) This stuff is great. I will always be keeping a jar or 3 in my fridge. It's some decent heat with 2 red brainstrains and 1 ghost but not overwhelming.

Attachments

• pikliz.jpg
    pikliz.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 60
I've made this in oh so many different ways and it always comes out awesome. I love to go 50/50 with green and red cabbage just for the color effect. I found with the stronger vinegars, a little sugar can neutralize the vinegar bite without watering it down. I also like to add some shredded chayote when it's in season and have even gone with thin slices of green mango.

My nieces recently came over to visit for a week and since I knew they loved kimchi I went out and a got a costco sized jar just for them. Once they spotted my jars of picklese they were converted. Might not be sayin much to compare this to store-bought kimchi but to see 2 quarts of picklese disappear in less than a week was a true testament to the goodness that it is.

As a side note, you can use the juice that's left over after the veggies are gone and mix with your favorite salad dressing for an amazing kick to an ordinary salad.
Or drop a few hard boiled eggs in there and hide them in the back of your fridge for about a month.

lobo let it rip!! Good stuff!!

Hawaii, try adding some water one time to cut the vinegar. I have had friends from Haiti and the Caribbean share with me (a crazy white guy from miami) their versions, and they always have less bite than mine, but in a good way. It's a different taste, but really good too. 

TW386, that looks awesome!! Damn, that and a brat would be heaven!!
...and Go Gators!! I'm an Alum from UF class of '01!

Back