Pi's must try beer list.

I didn’t see it mentioned and is Defiantly worth trying is Southern Tier Brewing Company’s Iniquity Imperial Black Ale. It's thick and sweet but hoppy and goes as well with a really good steak as it does with good friends and conversation. They also make a Creme Brule Stout that is really good too.

See you realize Pi, now that I am in town, we are going to have to get together and drink a lot of beer. I mean a lot.
Tease!

I am taking a list of my fave suggestions and hoping to find them for this weekend. The ones with coffee, toffee and chocolate notes seem most intriguing and different from my normal fare.

I am down to go out this weekend if you want to go check out some new beers

I get out of class at 5 on friday, and I am off all weekend

PM me if you wanna go somewhere

Stella Artois from Belgium is very popular in the UK because it is strong. Scrumpy cider is a local drink from my area in the southwest of England. You can get Cheddar Valley scrumpy in my local pub and its bright orange and 6% and said to make people go blind.
I have also seen Naga beer down our way too.

Denmark has some crazy beers from carlsberg that are also very strong. My favourite is Elephant beer 7% I think.
You cant beat Germany for beers. Their brewing law is over 400 years old.

I would suggest these lagers
Paulaner pils
Krombacher
Konig pilsner

Very fresh taste and you know when you have had a few.

Happy boozing

Daz

I tried Rogue Chocolate Stout and St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. I think that the bitter chocolate taste goes better with a meal. The other is better when just drinking. Overall I preferred Rogue. The oatmeal stout did not seem to have any special flavor, just a basic beer.

I tried Rogue Chocolate Stout and St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. I think that the bitter chocolate taste goes better with a meal. The other is better when just drinking. Overall I preferred Rogue. The oatmeal stout did not seem to have any special flavor, just a basic beer.

pi the ST Ambroise oat stout has become my favourite affordable stout. i think i may like it more than Samuel smiths imperial stout given i can get 6 for less than i pay for 2 SS's

I tried looking for the Goose Island Stout but could only find the Harvest Ale, Honkers Ale and Indian Pale Ale. I bought the IPA and it was okay but nothing special.

You live in chicago, go to the brewpub, not the wrigleyville one

and you will not find their Bourbon County stout anywhere else other than at the brewpub, or Binnies if you are lucky, and thats only a couple of times a year

their irish stout is delicious though

Westmalle Tripel
Loster Andechs Doppelbock Dunkel

unfortunately, it is nerly impossible to get good IPA here... Oh and the Price...
BR
Jan

On my radar:

RR Pliney’s – not distributed in this area so will be hard to come by.
RR – actually anything from them, lots of quality commentary on the interwebs.
3F’s Zombie Dust and Dreadnaught – next time I’m heading to Chicago.
Cantillion Lambic – just to see what all the talk is about.
Deschutes Abyss – Double Imperial Stout, oh my!
SA Utopia – Just to experience it, not spending the chedda for one though.
Portsmouth Kate the Great – sister lives in the area and working on this for me.
Bell’s Hopslam – One of my favorites, release date in January.

zombie dust is ok, anything from cantillon is awesome, abyss is really good stuff but good luck getting a bottle, I have a half empty bottle of utopias in my house right now and its worth it, Kate the Great is an experience let me tell you what, and we all love Hopslam, but its more a february release not january, always seems to come late

My favorite beers are:

#1: Unibroue - La Fin Du Monde
#2: Weihenstephaner HefeWeissbier
#3: Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen
#4: Duvel
#5: Lowenbrau (Original)

I also highly enjoy the following:

Ayinger Celebrator
Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue Cap)
Chimay Tripel (White Cap)
Chimay Premiere (Red Cap)
La Trappe Quadrupel
St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout
Unibroue - Maudite
Dieu Du Ciel - Rosée D’Hibiscus
Lion/Sinha Stout
Dragon Stout
Pilsner Urquell
Steam Whistle Pilsner
Stella Artois
Grolsch
Moosehead Lager
Molson Canadian

Within the past year I've become quite the beer connoisseur. I currently have the following beers stored and/or aging in my basement wine cellar, waiting to open them at the right time:

- Unibroue 17 Grande Reserve 2011 (two 750mL bottles :cool:)
- Unibroue - La Fin Du Monde (two 330mL bottles)
- Duvel (330mL bottle)
- La Trappe Quadrupel (750mL bottle)
- Chimay Premiere / Red Cap (750mL bottle)
- Dragon Stout (300mL bottle)

There's nothing like a fine beer!

Back