• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plant ICU...Can it be saved?

QuadShotz

Banned
Well, this'll be a challenge for my green thumb.

Sis was given this chile plant for a gift, and between relatives it got both underwatered and overwatered. All while being pretty much rootbound AND having pods. I really don't know how it survived at all. But it's basically dead now.

She said it was just an ornamental chile, but the pods do have considerable heat. I'm guessing some kind of Birdseye.

However, there is a massive rootball that shows promise still, and once I cut it back lower stems show signs of life.

So, guess we'll see how tuff this plant is. :-D

PICS:

As I got it..poor thing.
S6301810.JPG

Massivly root-bound and semi-dead rootball.
S6301811.JPG

At least I got chiles...some pods are so dried out the seed just fell out when opened.
S6301812.JPG

Let the sacrifice begin! Seriously cut back.
S6301813.JPG

I repotted in better/dryer soil with mild fert and lots of perlite. Literally squeezed out the rootball and tried to separate it some, getting rid of the dead and rotted stuff.

Been spraying the stumps with a diluted mix of water and Thrive.

I think it might make it. We'll see eh?

-QS

take care of that ailing thing QS...it will pull through with proper care...when you trimmed the rootball...what color were the roots...if they were brownish and the outer sheath slid down easily, it probably had root rot and that is what caused the issue...the plumbing got stopped up...if that was the case, it may be too late for the plant...use a little peroxide in your water when you give it a drink (1 Tbsp/gal) MO

Yeah, the outer roots seemed sick, so I got rid of em...inner stuff seems ok. If it's not dead, I cna bring it back. Stems still have some green.

They gave it no light, and bad watering. IMO, proper care will revive it.

I reread my post and think it sounds negative...sure didn't mean it that way QS...you have said it, I have said it, and so have a lot of others... chilis will survive with proper care...

AlabamaJack said:
I reread my post and think it sounds negative...sure didn't mean it that way QS...you have said it, I have said it, and so have a lot of others... chilis will survive with proper care...

Typed like a guy who has been there and done it!

Oh, wait - you have! And you didn't even set up a rehab area, IIRC.

Mike

You have done all the right things to get this plant back on it's feet...

With a good amount of sun and a proper watering regime it should be fine.

QS, How much warm whether do you have left?? It would be good to see some small shoots coming out before the cold hits....

It's a good experiment if nothing else, and i really hope it survives for you.

Are you going to give it back to your sister if you can breath life back into it??

moyboy said:
You have done all the right things to get this plant back on it's feet...

With a good amount of sun and a proper watering regime it should be fine.

QS, How much warm whether do you have left?? It would be good to see some small shoots coming out before the cold hits....

It's a good experiment if nothing else, and i really hope it survives for you.

Are you going to give it back to your sister if you can breath life back into it??

Well, Thanks!

I learned stuff from Mum and you guys..so.. ;)

IDK if it'll live, but I've always been one with the earth, was raised that way. If it has life in it still, i'll nuture it back. There is more to life than water and peat. As a decendant of the Druids, I'll not give up on any living thing.

I'm all indoors, so cna control.

And no, it's isn't going back, my fam actually killed a cactus.

Thank god I'm adopted.

No worries AJ, i knew what ya meant. ;)

If can be saved, I will. Will keep posted when it start new leaves.

Besides, it's a chile I don't have. and the pods are nice and warm. :-)
It'l have love and care now. it'll respond.

-QS

It's cool you're giving this poor thing another chance! Good luck!

Don't think it's a bird's eye though. I saw the same sold as ornamentals in various places, but nobody was able to give me more info than "It's a chili plant!" (Really???? Gosh!!!!) so far. They make really pretty plants, because the pods appear really big compared to the size of the plant.

If this negelected being doesn't make it, you can at least grow a new one from the seeds.

Its actually a good time of year to pop into your local garden centers and pick up those neglected chili plants for next to nothing, and Quad i think its got a great chance of recovery as it will receive lots of tlc from you :)

QuadShotz said:
IDK if it'll live, but I've always been one with the earth, was raised that way. If it has life in it still, i'll nuture it back. There is more to life than water and peat. As a decendant of the Druids, I'll not give up on any living thing.

That sure explains something. Good luck with the plant.
I guess we might have the same kind of plant. My boyfriend and I each have one. Mine is looking pretty good, starting to make flower buds (I guess?), while my boyfriend's plant looks a lot like yours. Maybe we can check if there's something we can do.

I guess I'd figured some kind of Asian chile as about half the pods (such as they were) were growing upwards. I tried one of the pods and it does have that sharp bite and quick burn like most of my "birdseye" type chiles, except fatter pods.

IDK, hopefully it'll recover and I can see better what it is. Never really got to see leaves as they were all dried up. Yikes.

Now, the waiting part.. :D

Just by looking it at........

With the right care.....she will make it.....
You are right! Lots of potential....not too far gone at all!

Doctor J.R. is taking the rest of the day off!

well, it has been 4 days....how is the plant doing QS?

Well, not good.

Not seeing any new stuff, and with careful cutting away at stems..there's nothing alive there. Nothing but pithy dead stuff down to about 1" from dirt.

Pretty sure root rot killed it b4 I got it.

No biggie, as i got nice pods to munch and lot of seeds from a plant that was gonna be thrown out anyways.

I'll keep it in the pot for awhile to see if regrows, but pretty sure it's dead.

Back