• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plant Out 3/5

So.... where was I...?

Here's what's left of the landscaping after the flood. Most of the logs floated away but the dirt is still there. You can even see where I dug the plants out. I don't think I'll be putting anything back in the ground until I can figure out what icky things the water left behind. The water was about 10' deep but not moving too fast since I still have dirt. That's the canoe in the background where we paddled up to the driveway last week.

afterFlood.jpg

We're still at our temporary home for another day or two. I've thinned out the herd considerably - I sold some of the plants I dug up and some others that were still in small containers and some that were in cups that I'd planned to sell anyway. I'm somewhere around $130 on that so I'm happy to cover a lot of the expenses from this year.
Also gave a lot away to friends. Here's what's left in ~3 gal and ~1 gal containers. There's some more in 1 gal containers on the side nearest the trailer.

tempHome.jpg

I kept one cayenne (they were popular sellers) and it's still in a 1 gal container with loads of green pods.

cayPods.jpg

I kept 2 superchiles and they're starting to get a bit of purplishness in the sun. There's an orange pod or two near the bottom of this largest one.

superPods.jpg

[continued...]

Here are two carib reds. The small one was left in a 4" pot way too long and got some raindamage. Probably some aphid scars too. The big one is the same age but was potted into 1 gal and then into this 3 gal right before I took the pic.

2reds.jpg

I confirmed today that it is setting pods. Yay me!

redPods.jpg

Here's one of the first batch of lemon drops. I have 3 big ones left (sold 1, gave away 2). They're all setting fruit too. Took this pic before I transplanted it to a 3 gal container from this 1 gal.

lemonPods.jpg

And then there's this Hawiian variety. Supposed to be a sweet-hot but doesn't look like the ones I Googled. I have several and they all look about the same.

hawPods.jpg

There are loads of greek and wax peppers (many have been consumed already). The jalapenos aren't quite ready for picking yet and I got rid of all my bells. There's also a lot of others I'll be updating about when I get all moved again and somewhat organized.

c.

That's a wild story - it's awesome that everything turned out relatively OK and those plants look amazing. Small jungle you have there. I grew Hawaii Sweet Hot last year and my pods were much smaller. The biggest was maybe 2inch long and they had a distinct taper. They make a great powder.

Welcome home!!!

I've been waiting on this thread to fire back up! So glad to see that you're back Carol. Sounds like you've moved on and life is back to where it should be. If you need any seeds or anything else to help you recover I'd be happy to help.

So good to see you back.:)

Carol,

Your plants look fantastic. Also noticed there isn't much trash left behind - that's a great sign. We raised tobacco in a river bottom and there was an old saying: If the river left its trash it would come back and get it.

Great job selling plants also!

Mike

Carol, it's great to have you back and with peppers, the pics look good. It won't take too long to have the place back to normal I hope. You have a good crop of delicious peppers on the way.

Thanks everyone!!

I'm back home and starting to get organized. The small plants are up on plywood workbenches and most of the large are on the ground. I need to build another table or two and do some more repotting soon. I'm also way behind on reading other posts.

Anyway here's some updated pics of everything. Play find the beer bottle if you like. (I apologize for the overcast lighting. )

Large hotties. (~3gal)
Back row: 3 lemon drops
Center: Hawaiian-something, white hab (overwintered)
Front: chile deArbol, Carib red, SuperChilli

LGhotties.jpg

Large not-so-hots.
Left 4: overwintered jals and Greek pepperoncini
Right 4: Greek (daughter), 3 wax

LGother.jpg

Babies 2 - 3 ea: (~1 gal)
lemon drops (second source)
aji limon
aji amarillo
black scorpion tongue
fresno
thai and thai dragon
bishops crown
congo brown

Younguns.jpg

Habs 6-pack.
left: 2 orange
center: 2 white (daugthers)
right: 1 choc, 1 small carib red
solo: med carib red

Habbies.jpg

[cont...]

misc.
cayenne, tabasco, superchilli, 2 hawaiians
3 Greek, 3 wax

misc.jpg

A dozen or so jals large and med - all daughter plants except the purple one.

Jals.jpg

Kind of hard to see right now, but I'm getting pods on the overwintered white hab (finally). It kept dropping buds because of the repeated cold snaps.

WhitePodding.jpg

The one deArbol I kept is coming along nicely. The pods are in clusters but on separate nodes.

deArbolClusters.jpg

[cont...]

And finally, some edible items and a question*:

A freaky unintentional cross: Greekapeno - the parents are on the left. They are about 3 inches long, hot with thin skin, an immediate bight, and an early harvest with plenty of fast growing pods.

Greekapeno.jpg

*Do these look like Caribbean red pods? The ones in the database don't have a tail like that as fas as I can tell. Maybe a cross or a mislabeling??

Carib.jpg

c.

Very nice, you have a ton of plants! When it isn't raining, you must be getting some sunshine because they all look strong. We haven't seen the sun here in N Virginia for a week.

We've had plenty of hot sunny days with the plants in full sun or close to it. They're getting less sun now that I'm back in the forest. I may decide to move them all to a better spot if they don't dry out fast enough.

Corol,sorry about your weather,nice to see you rolling with it!Better carry a stick in the future gardening!Those rattlers taste like chicken unless seasoned properly with chiles...let me know if you require anything.just down the coast,tony

greekapeno's! Now those sound quite tasty. You'll have to let us know.

As far as the others being Caribbean Reds they do not look like the ones I grew last year. I got my seeds from Beth at Peppermania so I believe they were true.

Glad to have you back Carol. This place needs a woman's touch.

Thanks for sharing this story. You seem to have maintained your spirits throughout the drama which says a lot about your character.

I live west of your location but many in our area were also affected by the spring floods. They were the worst I've seen in my 13 years here.

I'm impressed that you were able to keep up with the peppers during your ordeal.

Very nice pictures also!

Bob

Back