• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plant Out 3/5

Man, that really sucks. It's a great little garden. Mother nature can sure be a bitch sometimes.

OK, they updated the flood info - for the WORSE again.

This is the closest Suwannee flood guage. We decided to leave any time it goes over 50 ft or risk being cutoff.

forecast.jpg

This is the closest guage on the other river that joins the Suwannee near us:

forecastW.jpg

I'm living under one of these trees. That's the Suwannee in the corner.

aerial3.jpg

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!
c.

Carol quit drinking and get out now! It looks like a record flood on the way in the Withlacoocee River. Grab the important stuff and just go. Wishing the best when you return.:scared:

hope you have already gone C.....take care and be safe...

Thanks everyone!

Omri said:
She's probably on her way to a remote chile growing farm. :D

I'm safely sequestered in my secret underground lair. Please send more grow lights! :lol:

We're out and camping in a neighbor's feild above the 100 year flood level. Have to go back for the rest of the plants in a while and go get the cat and clean up misc stuff.
This morning has the Suwannee below forecast by a few feet and we're a few miles upstream of that guage too. The Withlacoochee and everything downstream of that is right on schedule. It will start flowing underground and coming up through the sinkholes/springs sometime today or tomorrow trying to take a shortcut to the big river - which is why we leave early, before the (dirt) roads become impassible.

I'll keep in touch.

c.

Said a prayer for you Carol. Keep dry and safe and don't worry about your peppers. Try to check in when you can.

cool C....take care and please be careful of the nasties flood waters bring with them (moccasins)...

caroltlw said:
Well, the river has taken a turn for the worse this year. Long story short: we've had about 13" of rain here over the last week AND also a large amount fell upstream on all 3 rivers that effect us. They're predicting a crest about 10' higher than our planned escape level, so even if they're wrong it will still be too high to stay.
We also had 2 tornado warnings in the last 3 nights, but that's over with at least. And no hail - just some minor rain damage to the outdoors plants.

There's nothing in the ground that I don't have a duplicate of in a container so I'm not digging anything up. We'll be busy enough getting everything else packed up and ready to go. Maybe go to our temporary emergency site at a high and dry neighbor or we may make a more permanent move out west like we've been planning for a while.

So I'm posting some final pictures of the garden before we pull out of here tomorrow. These 2 are panoramic if you put them together:

S6307873.jpg

S6307874.jpg

And this little beauty is one of the ones going with me to wherever. Not quite as big as it looks with the perspective in the pic.
Caribbean Red, starting to bud in 1 gal pot.

S6307877.jpg

S6307876.jpg

Yes, those probably are whiteflies. Got the ladybug shipment in the mail yesterday for all the good it does me now. Guess I won't be building a nesting area for them after all.

I'll check in when I can.
c.

Carol, I wish you all the best with the flood. I was so enjoying your garden and pictures.You where well on you way, Please take care.

AlabamaJack said:
...please be careful of the nasties flood waters bring with them (moccasins)...

Oooh, mocassins. I could use a pair of those. Unless you mean the snakey kind... then not so much. ;)

Here's the latest and it's not pretty.
I mean the colors are pretty but the rivers are a bit muddy looking.
With stuff floating in them.

pinetta2.jpg

[note: this guage crests about 3-4 days before it gets down here as far as I can tell from the guage databases.]

Let me know if/when this flood makes it to the national news. It may close I-10 if the Suwannee goes deep enough. Maybe by next weekend.

c.

plants out 04/05/09

Had enough time to go back and get the garden plants today. Put them in 3 gal containers and will probably sell most of them.

Operation Hot Diggity in progress:

plantsOut.jpg

I didn't see any mocassins but we swung by the boat ramp on the way out to check the water level and we heard a gunshot. A guy showed up with this shortly after:

rattles.jpg

c.

What is it?
Mocasins are black, right. Saw one crawling beside me when I went fishing in some freaky lake in LA. The water was pitch black and filled with catfish. Fried cayun style catfish, Yummy

Back