• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant Out....should I or shouldn't I.....

Omri said:
You think that's funny? one guy grew pot inside one of the police station's perimeter. :lol:
For months if I'm not mistaken. it took them a while to realize what's going on. :lol:

We had someone donate a bunch of Japanese maples for our plant sale a few years back. One of the varieties did look a lot like a pot plant. None of the little old lady Southern gardeners knew that, but it was funny watching all the old hippies and high school kids do a double take.

Seedlings first encounter with the real world.....they are under the awning on our back patio that faces north so no direct sun and the house blocks the south wind and my work shop blocks the west wind...

I am going back to work....hope nothing gets into them while I am gone this afternoon...

031208b001yb1.jpg

i predict a mini issue with height to come, i micromanage my plants vertical growth so i'm doing well with most of them but the experimental coir/soil mixes are so much taller then the rest and the inca berry twins are about the same size (and yet, not the control...) and not really getting as hanging planter friendly as i was led to beleive. so altogether i have about five plants that are way taller then the rest and will run out of room in a few weeks so i have to find alternative lodgings for them after that.

POTAWIE said:
You aren't worried about all the ladybugs flying away?

I have been avoiding this question....but, Neem oil works really well on lady bugs......probably only have about 50 left...:oops:

and on the bright side, the 50 left may be immune so I may have "super" ladybugs

AlabamaJack said:
I have been avoiding this question....but, Neem oil works really well on lady bugs......probably only have about 50 left...:oops:

Yeah, I was afraid that was going to happen.

I know, you said it but I had already released them.....

OK...just walked in the door with my new thermometer to measure the soil temperature with.....these temperatures are taken at a depth of 10 inches (25cm) in the middle of my cement farm....in the shadiest spot, the temperature was 57.4F (14C), and the in the sunniest spot is 65.8F (18C)...I am thinking if it stays that way for the next few days and we keep the sunshine thing going, it will be plant out time.....by the weekend...was 83F (28C) sunny today, supposed to be 86 (30C) tomorrow and 88F Friday....I just thought, if I seal the tops of the block all the way around (sealing them will be easier than filling them), I will have a "thermos" cement farm...will have 5-6" (~13cm) of air inside the blocks all the way around and since the bottom is 8" off the ground and sealed, no cold ground can get to the soil in the bed...I have a totally insulated bed and I can use mulch on the top of the soil to keep the temperature in from the top...and the mulch will also keep my moisture in with the soaker hose buried 10" down......

enough ramblin'...I'm just sittin' here ponderin'......

Weather/Plantout Update...

Here is the 10 day forecast...

I am glad I waited one week to plant out...now it looks like the weather is finally going to cooperate...I am taking vacation Thursday and Friday, 27-28 March 2008 to plantout...will still stay abreast of the weather and Wednesday 26 March I will make a final decision...

Farenheit
03230810dayaky4.jpg

Celcius
03230810daycsc8.jpg

Looks like it may be finally time...I absolutely love Spring...

Hey it's a lot hotter here. :O I thought it's burning hot where you live.

47926731xn6.jpg

12657581wh0.jpg

I'm sitting topless with some nice cold drinks. :D

Potawie..
I don't know whether I CAN wait or not...I know I will be taking a chance but then I have the backups ready just in case...I am slap out of grow space for about 80 plants...they are up against the lighting and I can't raise it any more...and I really don't want to trim the tops...I will plantout my annuums that need it but my chinense can wait as long as necessary...only the largest seedlings are getting rootbound so far...

Omri...
It won't start hitting 90 steadily here for another couple of weeks to a month...what site is that where you got the weather? I use intellicast

AJ I am with Potawie, wait till the night temp does not go below 58F but that is my opinion, 55f or lower can stunt your plant for a late harvest or even kill them, (I am talking about soil temp) again my opinion and experience.
Dan

LET IT BURN

I'm in the same boat AJ, plants everywhere and most are desperately needing bigger pots and more light. This time last year I had my greenhouse going already but still to cold at nights this year so my timing is out of wack too.:(

well, I got a few days to "IDEATE" and ponder....

AJ, check your soil temps again. If it's not getting below 50 at night, and the soil temps are in the 60's, I think you'll be fine. Your yard has a privacy fence around it, so it's sheltered, the temperatures will probably be a couple of degrees higher than the average for the whole city.

Back