• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Plant Out....should I or shouldn't I.....

if the forcast calls for a chilly night you could set up some row covers (i use cloches but that would be a whole lot of cloches...)
around here they always say wait for the nighttime temps to get above 15, but maybe that's cuz we're more likely to suddenly have a night around zero out of nowhere. like you said, it's not all your plants...

Just checked soil temps...the long raised bed is 65.6F and the triangular new bed is 71.4F...

Just an idea you are taking the temperture during the day time. Try to see what6 the temp is around 10 to 11 at night see what it reads. Just an idea. Myself I wouldn't plant till reaches upper 60 lower 70 during the day

I always look at the forcast with a -/+ acurracy of 5-6 degrees celsius. So if they call for 10, I count on 4-5C

I am taking the soil temp 10" (25cm) deep so I think the mass of the soil is holding temperatures pretty good...I will take temperatures in the monring when the ambient is supposed to be 38F...here in Fort Worth, the forecast low is usually lower than the actual low at my house...I live about 300 yds from the highest point in Tarrant County (Fort Worth) and my highs and lows are ususlly 3-5 degrees higher than what is forcast...

AJ I forgot you have that brick garden if you take it in the morning for a few days and the temp in the soil stays with in a few degrees then IMO you should be safe. as you probably know the brick retain the heat.
Dan

LET IT BURN

I don't quite understand. Are you not growing in containers? If so, you should be testing temps of a pot full of soil on the ground where you'd be growing, if you're not already doing that IMO.

:doh: ...just call me Homer...

going to fill a container right now and put it where I am going to be growing...I expect it to warm up and cool off quicker because of less mass...

It's so much fun having such a hot weather, I missed that! especially sleeping in the nude. not that I don't sleep in the nude when it's freezing, just that it looks better when it's hot. :lol:

This thread makes me realize how much more patient you all are than me. I never could wait until we get temps in the 70s to plant my peppers. I live in Zone 6B and plant out in last week of May (sometimes one week earlier). Usually running out of room under lights is my rush.

In the end, I always get enough of a yield where I don't care. Maybe I would've gotten 10-20% more yirld had I waited 2 more weeks. I don't care. lol.

Chris

stuck probe 6" deep in the back yard soil where the plants are going to be and temperature was 63.2F

Got a container ready to check in the morning...temperature supposed to drop to 37F..

It all comes down to beer

AlabamaJack said:
stuck probe 6" deep in the back yard soil where the plants are going to be and temperature was 63.2F

Got a container ready to check in the morning...temperature supposed to drop to 37F..

This is kinda what I did today. I walked around the house getting temperatures to see the best area to start more seeds...I also checked the basement to make sure it was perfect temp for aging beer. I came up with 57.6F....perfect for long term aging.

The living room seems to be the hottest at 73F and my room second hottest at 70F (well, until I close my door at night then it drops probably 5 degrees).

how big an area are you going to need IGG...you're not growing that many plants are you?...make you a heated box in your room using a big cardboard box and a 40 watt bulb.......just have it so you can sit it over the seedlings at night when it is the coldest..

AlabamaJack said:
how big an area are you going to need IGG...you're not growing that many plants are you?...make you a heated box in your room using a big cardboard box and a 40 watt bulb.......just have it so you can sit it over the seedlings at night when it is the coldest..
Well, it's just the seed tray. I already have one up in my room and now we are going to be planting 4 more trays of 72 cells in about two weeks.

Just planning ahead, looking for a spot for the trays.

find an old refrigerator or freezer box or a box big enough to cover your plants...I used one about 4 years ago in the garage to keep sets I bought warm before I planted them out...was an old TV box

save the link to favorites and follow it for your area,
its obvious that those in canada will plant later and harvest earlier,since the further north from equator the shorter the season, for the northern hemispere.this holds true for your area too Ohio.
we started first seed outdoors march 17-18 ...
adjust the dates to your area,its just reference.
{but id follow the Almanac to the day if you want good results all season,thats why they been useing it for over 100 years.}

pablo

imaguitargod said:
This is kinda what I did today. I walked around the house getting temperatures to see the best area to start more seeds...I also checked the basement to make sure it was perfect temp for aging beer. I came up with 57.6F....perfect for long term aging.

The living room seems to be the hottest at 73F and my room second hottest at 70F (well, until I close my door at night then it drops probably 5 degrees).

Off to the drunks thread with you!

Back