• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Potawie needs help

Since it seems to be affecting several people who are using different variables, I'm thinking perhaps it's something simple like over-watering.

Have all of you been saturating your soil regularly?

Over-watering will stunt a lot of plants. I've read that peppers will respond that way.

Just a thought.

Potawie, is it affecting all kinds of chiles? In my case my plants show the same symptoms but only the Annuums and Frutescens. Chinenses have proved to be stronger because they don't show these signs.

It seemed to hit my chineses the worst, particuliarly my fatalii and DTs which were grown in different conditions in various places from different sourced seeds, I still can't put my finger on what it could be that triggers it, also it didn't strike all my plants ...weird.....

Soil Test

not trying to hijack your thread Potawie...but I just tested my soil and got a surprize...ph about 7, way low on nitrogen, high on phosphorus, and a little low on potassium...

do you read the chart like I do?...left to right bottles are ph, N, P, K

061608aSoilTest.jpg

Good job at checking the soil AJ...Now that is done, I think everyone that is having these problems should also check their soil to compare the values to see if this is the pattern.

Also, I remembered that Pam posted a link showing the symptoms of nutrient deficiencies and I have found it after an incredibly long search. Here it is and I hope it helps all of you to hopefully shed some light on the root cause of this problem.

http://4e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=t&id=289

I'm hopeful that by uncovering the commonality, besides the symptoms, we will find the root cause of this and thus find a solution.

If you have buffers in your soil(like lime) you don't have to worry so much about PH.
Did everyone with this type of problem have aphids at some point?

Potawie, since I seem to be unaffected by this anomaly thus far, I have been trying to look at this from an analytical point of view and as you have probably guess, trying to find some sort of commonality. Besides reading this post, I have been searching other people's posts in an attempt to accomplish this goal. This said, I do think that the vast majority experiencing this abnormality had aphids to some degree this year.

Pepperfreak said:
Another possible link...Is it possible that the aphids this year are carrying some new type of disease? I know that we all have seen this with the mosquito population over the last few years.

I was infested with aphids at one point...wondering if the "stuff" I used on the plants had anything to do with the deformities...

I used the following at the recommended doses:

Neem Oil
Ortho BugBGone - bifenthrin
Safer Soap

Safer Soap seems to have worked the best but I can't be sure since I used the other products too...I am at the point of spot treating with safer soap..

I fought aphids all spring long, but some of the plants that were infested the worst don't show any signs of curling.

Mike

Tap Water ph

This is my tap water ph test of a few moments ago...06-17-08

is it just me or does my ph look like it is almost 8 ?? :?: :think:

Waterph06-17-08.jpg

A nice affordable, accurate and versatile meter

I have been using a really good pH meter from Milwaukee for about a year now. I have used this meter for everything from my homemade sauces to testing my soil. The model I have is SM101 and here is their link.

http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/

This meter really takes all of the guess work out and it is affordable, $77.00 USD.

imaguitargod said:
Ya, that's an 8.2 by my quess. What type of pH testing kit is that? I want to do one.

I just got a bottle of ph tester from the hydroponics store...comes with a little plastic vial with a cap like in the photo...was $7.50...lots of testing available with this...liquid made by general hydroponics and is called pH Test Indicator, Wide Spectrum, From 4 to 8.5, 3-5 drops per test and there is one fluid ounce.

Pepperfreak said:
I have been using a really good pH meter from Milwaukee for about a year now. I have used this meter for everything from my homemade sauces to testing my soil. The model I have is SM101 and here is their link.

http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/

This meter really takes all of the guess work out and it is affordable, $77.00 USD.

I will have to soften the wife up for this one...at least tell her I need it...but now that I have the litmus test kit, she probably will want me to wait until I use the liquid up...

Have you considered collateral damage?

Any neighbors in the area?
I solved a problem like this by contacting a friend's neighbor and getting them to stop using roundup on windy days. There was just enough landing on his plants to seriously bother them, but not kill them.

Hexj, I can't even get the neighbors to cut their yards much less use roundup J/K...but they really just cut the grass and weeds...

Back