• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Potawie needs help

AlabamaJack said:
she probably will want me to wait until I use the liquid up...

These things are known for accidently dropping though. ;)

Seriously, I've had a koi pond for 9 years, and those "colour" tests are often completely unreliable (and make people take the wrong kind of measures).

The tester Pepperfreak linked to is a good investment if you worry about pH. It comes with a tester fluid of 7.0 so you can calibrate the device.

Another way is to send a sample of your tap water to a lab for a thourough analysis (which would cost less and gives you a complete overview of all trace elements etc.)

If pH is too high, you can always collect rain water - which will be more acidic - and mix it with the tap water. (I understand peppers prefer slightly acidic conditions - 6.5?).

Most good Ph metres will have 2 calibrations, one at 7 and one at 4. I recommend a dual Ph and ppm metre if you have the $$ and consider it a neccessity for hydro growing.

Since I am a "dirt farmer", I wouldn't need one for ppm would I?

POTAWIE said:
Most good Ph metres will have 2 calibrations, one at 7 and one at 4. I recommend a dual Ph and ppm metre if you have the $$ and consider it a neccessity for hydro growing.

Potawie is right, and this meter has 2 calibration points and is really simple to calibrate. I opted not to get the ppm feature only because I didn't feel that the added cost justified my use. So far I haven't missed not having that feature. But it is all up to your particular uses.

I'm generally a "dirt farmer" now but I still like to know the strength of my nutrient solution, and my well water.

POTAWIE said:
If you have buffers in your soil(like lime) you don't have to worry so much about PH.
Did everyone with this type of problem have aphids at some point?

I had a lot of aphids since almost 2 months. I said that, when I commented this thread. I even thought that it was the spraying with a too high concentration of Neem Oil that caused that curling, because it was just after I sprayed my peppers that the leaves started to curl.
Now I think the aphid attack is over, but nevertheless I made a much weaker concentration of Neem Oil and I'm spraying just once a week . It seems that the curling has stopped also.
I measured the ph of my soil and it is 7.

I've come to the conclusion it is a virus that is being spread via unseen code in forum posts. :mouthonfire: It invades our fingertips when we replay to a post, then we tough a plant.

Mike

wordwiz said:
I've come to the conclusion it is a virus that is being spread via unseen code in forum posts. :mouthonfire: It invades our fingertips when we replay to a post, then we tough a plant.

Mike

: thinks of the last few things he's touched :

"OH! GOD! Little Passow!"

****shrinkage****

I'm looking to the north, toward the Mistake on the Lake where this virus originated. He'll probably blame it on cow farts, but I learned a long time ago not to trust a Cleveland Browns fan. :lol:

Mike

wordwiz said:
I'm looking to the north, toward the Mistake on the Lake where this virus originated. He'll probably blame it on cow farts, but I learned a long time ago not to trust a Cleveland Browns fan. :lol:

Mike

I will throughly blame it on cow farts and agree that you shouldn't trust a Browns fan......if they are silly enough to sit in -10 degree weather just to watch people bash each other they are silly enough to trust cows........ :shocked:

IGG...if you truly are a Browns fan...you have to read Playing for Pizza by Grisham...trust me, it will make you laugh so hard you will pee on yourself...

AlabamaJack said:
IGG... you will pee on yourself...

Sorry AJ and Iggy, but I would have thought this would not be an original event.

Running and ducking for cover before Iggy drops cows on my bedroom,

Mike

wordwiz said:
Sorry AJ and Iggy, but I would have thought this would not be an original event.

Running and ducking for cover before Iggy drops cows on my bedroom,

Mike

Hmpffff!

OK back on thread...

I read today that if you take a piece of white paper, go to the effected plant and "flick" the top of the plant on the white paper, if you have "rust" colored dots, that is mites....said they are 1/50", thats .020, twenty thousands...soooooooooooo...I got my trusty paper, flicked the top of the plant on it and took a picture using 24X magnification...oh yeah, that is probably about 40X cause I cropped the picture down to the size of the insect...very small to say the least...you can barely even see them on the paper...you just see a speck moving

here is a picture

061908a003.jpg

Can anyone identify this creature...maybe a miniature wasp? hopefully predatory...doesn't look like a spider mite to me...are there other types of mites with this body configuration? Looks like it has 6 legs to me and two prominant antennae...thats what made me think wasp...

AJ,

I just tried the same experiment and I found a couple of bugs fell off (along with a possible bloom) but the creature looks nothing like you posted. I don't have a camera capable of taking a good picture (My daughter does but it uses film). It is smaller, with a tiny body but long, white wings. But there were only two of them on the plant, not enough to cause any damage - I wouldn't thin.

I doubt your insect is a wasp, though I admit I don't know that much about how wasps reproduce. If I did, I would do my very best to disrupt their process!

Mike

Back