• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Potawie's fall progress 2009

Just when I thought I was becoming one of the boys...I open this thread and get floored!
Absolutely inspirational, Potawie ~ Thank you!

Damned if your greenhouse isn't bigger than my entire grow area....:P:lol:

Thanks for all the kind words. Our late summer was great this year and
I've been so busy pickin', processing and selling peppers lately that I didn't get any pics of last weeks big harvests. I've probably had about 2 good harvests a week since July, and the pods just keep on coming. I'll probably have a huge harvest today or tommorow if I find some time to pick but there's not much room to move around in the greenhouse these days

Outstanding production of pods Potawie.

I always enjoy your posts and pictures.

I too started thinking winterization this weekend. Time to start pulling out the plants I want to keep and cleaning out the others.

Here's a few pics I just took before harvesting

Bigbang naga
3963110396_89fed127f8.jpg

K3 hybrid (red, arrowhead shape)
3963073834_447259cafa.jpg

K2 hybrid (2nd year plant)
3963146484_e1ed2e3f47.jpg

And a cool looking yellow 7
3963206734_74cb29fbf5.jpg

And here's some of what I picked

Tobago sweet Scotch bonnet -CP
3962985947_6425589747.jpg

Trinidad seasoning -AJ
3962985985_157e1daae8.jpg

K2 2nd year plant(long pods with thick vertical ribs)
3962869893_5b5755ebd1.jpg

K3 (arrowhead type pod)
3962869901_f1b962bf4a.jpg

How do you like the taste of the trinidad seasoning Potawie?

I actually find the Trinidad seasoning-AJ quite bland, no heat but not sweet or flavorful either. My favorite heatless chinense so far is the Murupi doce which didn't grow particularly well for me this year but they are really sweet, I eat them like candies.

Things should be slowing down a bit for me after this harvest. Days are cold, wet and dark lately. I really can't compain much, it turned out to be a great growing year for me, its just sad to see it ending

Hot pepper pool table
3965220579_acc07e0f4a.jpg

for Gawd's sake!!!
that's the most impressive harvest i've seen so far!either you have a very large veg patch, a polytunnel, or you're a commercial grower.
that lot should feed the local populace for a while.:mouthonfire:

Amazing harvest of some super shiney pods yet again. Thanks for the setting the bar high and showing us all what's actually possible and how to do it. Very impressive harvest master gardener Potawie dude! --->>:dance:

Good grief, Derek! That's insane. What I want to know is, how do you keep up with the work required to process them all? What else do you do with them besides dry them? Duane was absolutely buried in trying to keep up with his meager harvests, dry some, make ristras with some, and pressure can some of AJ's concentrates. He also had to do all the sous cheffing for any of his peppers I asked for because I'm super sensitive to capsacin. We've eaten more Mexican food than we ever have thanks to all of his bounty. Do you actually ever run out by the following year of the stuff you've put up?

I'm glad you and Duane had good success this summer
I usually have no problems getting rid of the milder peppers but the super-hotties are a different story, I still have powders and dried pods from years ago. This year I'm using up a lot and selling extras cheaply before they rot, and I've also found a few potential customers that I still have to meet.
My milder peppers are usually dried, smoked, stuffed, roasted, or made into sauces. I really like making sauces that have a mild/medium pepper base and then crank the heat with hotter peppers as needed.
I'm also trying a large batch of fermented super hot peppers just for the hell of it and I want to do a huge batch of spicy pickled eggs soon too.
Next year my plan is to either grow a lot less super hots or find some good customers who like the heat and focus on what they want.

Back