• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Potawie's Pepper Progress 2008

I harvested some bottom leaves but I'm letting it go to seed. I'll try to get some pics before frost. The corn grew great until the squirrels and raccoons got at them dammit

POTAWIE said:
I harvested some bottom leaves but I'm letting it go to seed. I'll try to get some pics before frost. The corn grew great until the squirrels and raccoons got at them dammit

I'm surprised they didn't get my corn this year. I count myself lucky!

POTAWIE said:
They've actually developed several ornamental varieties of Castor bean. Its funny too that the highly poisonous seeds were once used as baby rattles in some places
"Developed"? they start red and become green later on. "Castor Bean" is a very specific plant.

POTWAIE,

Everything looks great!! I'l be over soon for a tasting ..... LOL

In Jamaica they call those beans" Shake Shake Beans" and the kids play with them.

P.Dreadie

Omri said:
"Developed"? they start red and become green later on. "Castor Bean" is a very specific plant.
Sorry dude but there are several varieties of ornamental castor bean, I've grown a red, a green and a dwarf type so far.
"There are numerous varieties of ornamental Castor Beans. Many have been selected for bright red or purple foliage, instead of typically green leaves. Leaf shapes and plant size distinguish other varieties"
http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-ombrello/POW/castor_bean.htm

POTAWIE said:
Sorry dude but there are several varieties of ornamental castor bean, I've grown a red, a green and a dwarf type so far.
"There are numerous varieties of ornamental Castor Beans. Many have been selected for bright red or purple foliage, instead of typically green leaves. Leaf shapes and plant size distinguish other varieties"
http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-ombrello/POW/castor_bean.htm
From what *I've* seen, and I grew up around these... You can take seeds from a full grown *green* plant and most of the seedlings will be red. as they grow, only the stem remains red (like yours) and then it also turns green. some do start green, but most don't. FROM THE SAME PLANT!

Here's a picture I took, see how one stem is red while the other is green?
666wo9.jpg

Might not be as pretty as yours, as they're weeds here, but that's the same plant.

I realize they are weeds in many warm climates, but here in Canada we grow ornamental varieties. I have grown many different varieties and they always grow the same from seed. I have seen several other ornamental types for sale at nurseries but usually stick to the one I have in the pics or sometimes the red or puple leafed types.

dang Potawie...how old is that plant?

They are annuals and were started in the spring. They are one of the fastest growing plants on the planet.
The last pic was from 2006 and its in good sunny location. The other pic is from this year but it is in the shadiest part of my garden

POTAWIE ,

Can you tell me something about 2 of your plants please. The Kapowie .... type ... taste ... where you got the seeds. And the same for the Trinidad Lantern. Both caught my eye.

Thanks,
P. Dreadie

The Kapowie is a hybrid that I've been dehybridizing for several years. Its quite hot with a nice fruity flavor. You won't find these seeds for sale anywhere and sorry I'm only distributing these seeds to a certain few members.
The Trini "lantern" or "pear shape" seeds were sent from Trinidad. I don't know if it has a real name or maybe its a version of Australian lantern? They are quite hot too, and all I remember about the taste is that it was good and different. I'll have to sample some more soon.

POTAWIE said:
The Kapowie is a hybrid that I've been dehybridizing for several years. Its quite hot with a nice fruity flavor. You won't find these seeds for sale anywhere and sorry I'm only distributing these seeds to a certain few members.
The Trini "lantern" or "pear shape" seeds were sent from Trinidad. I don't know if it has a real name or maybe its a version of Australian lantern? They are quite hot too, and all I remember about the taste is that it was good and different. I'll have to sample some more soon.

Trinidad Lantern is the name i got :)

Back