• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

powder-flake powder question

POTAWIE said:
I never use gloves for powder and I think the only thing you have to worry about is the back of your fingers. I don't think I've ever felt any burn on my fingertips or palms but lungs yes.
Not just powders. any kind of processing method used with chiles.

I don't use them for the milder chilies unless I have a cut on my hand or something, just mostly for the hotter ones.

Pam said:
I don't use them for the milder chilies unless I have a cut on my hand or something, just mostly for the hotter ones.

Ya, anything like Jalapeno or milder, I don't waste my gloves on either.

Pepperfreak said:
Ya, anything like Jalapeno or milder, I don't waste my gloves on either.
Hotter stuff, too. gloves are for habs and up, although gloves won't really help you with a lot of habs or obviously something hotter.

I just don't see how the powder would get all over your hands. I grind so much extreme powder every year and have never had a problem. Doing dishes after making hot-sauce is the only time I use gloves and even that's not always a great idea.:mouthonfire:

POTAWIE said:
I just don't see how the powder would get all over your hands. I grind so much extreme powder every year and have never had a problem. Doing dishes after making hot-sauce is the only time I use gloves and even that's not always a great idea.:mouthonfire:
I don't even own any gloves. I know that washing up after handling Habs often burns my hands, even the day after, same with having a shower.

I think I have touched about any sensitive part of my body at least once after handling chilis. I am wearing gloves now whenever I do it, I have learned my lesson(s). I bought some not too expensive household gloves, the kind that some wear to do the dishes. Nothing got through them yet. I used to waer surgeons gloves, but they are very thin and you can only use them once. A one time investment of about a buck in some gloves seemed like a good idea.... it still does!

It's hard stuff to wash off anything too, I can often still taste the heat on my knife the next morning and I am really fussy with washing up.

rainbowberry said:
It's hard stuff to wash off anything too, I can often still taste the heat on my knife the next morning and I am really fussy with washing up.

I've noticed that, too. I have a dishwasher, but I only get it full enough to run every 10 days plus or minus a couple. So, my favorite cutting knives sometimes get hand washed.

I knew that I read a good write up about Huna Hand and I'm assuming that the same methods of treatment could also be used for clean up around the kitchen or prep area. Below is a link to the article and I can only imagine the ER employees when this guy came in...LOL

http://www.thechileman.org/guide_heat.php

I also heard that washing your hands in a lime, lemon and salt solution will also help.

Has anybody ever read that the capsaicin molecule is small enough to penetrate latex and they recommended rubber because the porosity of rubber was smaller than that of latex and rubber was impassable to the capsaicin. I can't remember where but somewhere on the net when I was doing capsaicin research, I read it.

I dont have a problem with making powders with dried chiles (unless I put my nose right to the grinder once done) well wait if I'm crushing dried habs by hand they'll burn ALOT MORE than if I was cutting fresh habs.

no mask or gloves (gloves only if I'm cutting up ALOT of fresh HOT chiles)

what gets me the worst is washing fresh cut open hab type chiles (if needed), washing my hands after cutting these fresh chiles, or sauteing the chiles. making hot sauce is not a big deal for me.

AlabamaJack said:
Has anybody ever read that the capsaicin molecule is small enough to penetrate latex and they recommended rubber because the porosity of rubber was smaller than that of latex and rubber was impassable to the capsaicin. I can't remember where but somewhere on the net when I was doing capsaicin research, I read it.

That's why I asked about the nitrile. There are biohazardous materials we handle at work that require nitrile gloves because the molecules can penetrate latex. I haven't had problems handling hot peppers with latex gloves, but I have heard folks here talk about getting burned even though they had on gloves. I had put it down to improper gloving technique, but maybe the pepper juice *did* penetrate the glove.

Back