• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

powder-flake powder question

Pam said:
From just cutting them? My mother has told me they smell hot when I'm working in her kitchen, and warn me not to get the juice on anything else; but no sneezing or coughing, and she thinks mild salsa is almost too hot.
My Mum thinks the supermarket mild Salsa is too hot.

lol my Mum thinks habs are hot. :lol:
Actually my family is pretty weird, they'll heat hot food to a certain point. they think birdseyes are the hottest peppers in existence. I'm not kidding, they asked me to give them Naga plants so they'll use it for cooking the fishes! I tried to tell them how it's WAY hotter than any birdseye (they put one birdseye per pot), but they didn't believe me. :shocked:

Well, most people wouldn't believe there is sth hotter than Tabasco! Keeping that in mind you can hardly blame them for not being able to picture a chili pot that'd feel like lava on your tongue!

smilie_krank_096.gif

my father loved hot stuff up to cayenne, tabasco, and scotch bonnets but my mother thinks paprika is hot... :lol:

Omri said:
That's pretty cool, it shows she has the potential! :P
Yeah there's potential there. She'll have a teaspoon of chilli powder in her chilli. She loves bell peppers, I'll try her on Peppadews or medusa this year. Make it a gradual process.

Here's a good story.

Just after my brother and sister-in-law got married, we went up for a visit. I knew she liked spicy stuff, so I took some orange habaneros with me. Well, we went over to one of their friends houses for a really nice dinner. My sister-in-law was taking some shrimp for the meal, and she put 7 orange habaneros in a half pound of shrimp. I warned Mom not to eat it, but she was determined to have a little bit of whatever dish her new daughter-in-law had made, so she put some on her plate.

The hostess tried one of the shrimp, and immediately spat it back onto the plate. She told Mom not to eat it, but Mom took a bite anyway. Remember, she thinks mild salsa is very spicy. She sat there with her mouth opened, too lady-like to spit the shrimp out, but with a look of dawning horror on her face. My sister was next to her, held up her napkin to Mom's mouth and ordered "spit!". She spat, and meanwhile I was ordering the host to get his butt into the kitchen and get her some milk.

She listens now when I say something is too hot.

rainbowberry said:
Yeah there's potential there. She'll have a teaspoon of chilli powder in her chilli. She loves bell peppers, I'll try her on Peppadews or medusa this year. Make it a gradual process.
Good luck! trying to do the same with the family and friends.

Good story Pam. :lol:

giggling...good truthful story...

I got one...

When I first got into hot stuff, I had a bottle of Dave's Insanity that I'd gotten for the holidays and had brought with me to the folks house. Silly me left it sitting open on the kitchen counter.

Well, My brother saw it, and "hey, this looks cool"..and POURED a huge blob on a dorito and ate it before I could warn him.

Lets just say he was used to Frank's as a hotsauce. Hilarity ensued.

Mom was freaked, bro thought he was gonna die, general chaos and anarchy.

I finally found him some milk and things got better, but ever since my fam won't eat anything I bring over...:lol:

The best part..Mom & Dad had bought me the Dave's not knowing what it really was, just that it "looked hot".

So now, even when I made stuffing this past holidays, they asked if it was "hot"...eesh.

-Q

QuadShotz said:
I got one...

When I first got into hot stuff, I had a bottle of Dave's Insanity that I'd gotten for the holidays and had brought with me to the folks house. Silly me left it sitting open on the kitchen counter.

Well, My brother saw it, and "hey, this looks cool"..and POURED a huge blob on a dorito and ate it before I could warn him.

Lets just say he was used to Frank's as a hotsauce. Hilarity ensued.

Mom was freaked, bro thought he was gonna die, general chaos and anarchy.

I finally found him some milk and things got better, but ever since my fam won't eat anything I bring over...:lol:

The best part..Mom & Dad had bought me the Dave's not knowing what it really was, just that it "looked hot".

So now, even when I made stuffing this past holidays, they asked if it was "hot"...eesh.

-Q
Haven't tried it, but been told it's mild.

It's one of the original "Big Name" hot sauces in the states. I think it is around 50,000 shu if memory serves. I's just ok. Actually has extract in it, but it's not bad on wings.

Yeah, It's just a sauce now, but back in 1996, it was pretty hot.
That the one I kept the bottle from..lol

Hard to belive..that long ago.

I alway wear a firemans grade full face respirator mask and the dust from grinding still seems to get in eventually. (You have to stop now and then to consume some adult beverages to pass the time.;)) Stay outside, upwind and wear nytrile gloves.

WACOFlyer said:
I alway wear a firemans grade full face respirator mask and the dust from grinding still seems to get in eventually. (You have to stop now and then to consume some adult beverages to pass the time.;)) Stay outside, upwind and wear nytrile gloves.

Why nitrile? I use latex gloves because they're more comfortable, and I've never had any problems. I know nitrile has some chemical resistance properties that latex doesn't, but I wasn't aware that capsicum can penetrate latex.

I never use gloves for powder and I think the only thing you have to worry about is the back of your fingers. I don't think I've ever felt any burn on my fingertips or palms but lungs yes.

Back